Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new here, Just decided to post, after watching the board for a while.
I just rescued a 4 1/2 year old dobie boy.
Whatta sweetheart!
He was actually 110 lbs, kinda tall,
but right now is at 60 lbs..:sadcry:

Someone was not giving the proper care to him, and had him kenneled for 6 months. He is now in a family home with us, and will be on his way to a stable health, and lots of love!

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Congratulations on your new dog. Wow, that's a huge weight drop--even for a big Doberman.

Makes you wonder if at 110 pounds he wasn't much too fat--I would assume that at 60 pounds and tall he's probably now too thin. But I'm sure that being in a new home with loving family he'll be back to what he should be soon--lucky dog!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Bless You for rescuing your doberboy. We love pictures so when you can please post some of your new baby!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the welcome!....no, he is extremely tall, and at 110, was perfect, he definately wasn't over weight. I managed to get a photo of hm before..

Someone didn't want to deal with him, and put him in a kennel. For 6 months!

And the kennel of course was not caring for him....Here is a before photo, and now....Major difference!

BEFORE

Now

·
Premium Member
8,734 Posts
PghDobie said:
Hi folks, new here, Just decided to post, after watching the board for a while.
I just rescued a 4 1/2 year old dobie boy.
Whatta sweetheart!
He was actually 110 lbs, kinda tall,
but right now is at 60 lbs..:sadcry:

Someone was not giving the proper care to him, and had him kenneled for 6 months. He is now in a family home with us, and will be on his way to a stable health, and lots of love!
Where in PA are you from? Did you get him from a rescue or from a shelter?
I'm in SE PA - Montgomery County.

From the picture, I would say that 110 was too much - probably 90 would be a good weight for him. What are you doing now to put weight back on him? Some of us here have nursed starved & abused Dobermans back to healthy weight - I found that a high quality kibble mixed with noodles cooked with chicken broth and chicken mixed in was a good weight on formula. I fed 4 times a day and then worked it back to 2x a day when his weight was better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am in Pittsburgh. I drove to Ohio to get him.

I actually have him on Royal Canine, plus Merrik soft food/ and pasta.

Also, some vitamins, and protein.

He is a very well mannered gentle giant. I am so happy to have him, and feel blessed that he is with us now.

I cannot beleive the crap that some people do....:mad:

I am going to clock him in about 90-95lbs when done, since the vet said that. So you hit that on the button.

I am not walking him hard, just lightly a few times a day for now....But wow,,,,he is very loveable!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum and good on you for taking him on,I hope you get him back to full fitness soon,Dobermans do not react well to being separated from the home situation,so with a lot of TLC and good food i'm sure he will do well.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
PghDobie said:
He is a very well mannered gentle giant. I am so happy to have him, and feel blessed that he is with us now.

I cannot believe the crap that some people do....:mad:

I am going to clock him in about 90-95lbs when done, since the vet said that. So you hit that on the button.

I am not walking him hard, just lightly a few times a day for now....But wow,,,,he is very loveable!
Just to add to this post and not believing the crap what people do:mad:
In our local paper tonite"Doberman bitches for sale 1 four years old and 1 eighteen months old" HONESTLY it was all i could do to stop phoning them up to ask WHY? and how could you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup...

I am not suprised!....I see since I have been doing some research, that theres some real cold hearted people out there.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My rescue was 52 ish lbs when I brought him home...I slowly put weight on him with good kibble....Nutro Lamb/Rice and also fed him a Satin burger each day. Here's a recipe http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html ........I still make him a batch and freeze them.......because they have now been named "Rudi Burgers" or "RB's" and if you say Rudi Burger around Rudi.......he goes craaaaaaaazy! He's now a perfect 70 lbs.......I'd like to see him at 75-80 lbs........because he still looks tall and lanky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the recipe, and comments.....The recipe actually looks good..

I hope this royal canine is good, I was told by the vet to buy it.

He is still lost, and of course confused, so it is gonna take time to get used to my family, and of course, us to get used to him.....

Of course, my neighbor almost had a heart attack, and asked why I rescued a 4 year old dobie, ebing I have children....

He actually made me 2nd guess myself

But I don't feel a threat with him being around my children.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
WElcome Pghdobie from Maryland and my two rescues. Pollo who is 6 (got him a year ago) who is the PERFECT dog - couldn't be sweeter or more gentle and Molly our 1.5 year old rescue (aka Spawn of Satan).

don't second guess yourself, getting an older dobe rescue will be the best thing you ever did for you and him. Thank you so much for taking in an older boy in so much need. Bless you.

cc

ps careful - they're addictive ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks!!.....My neighbor just made me paranoid briefly...

He seems fine to me, a little lost, and with the kids, he just kind of looks at them wierd when they come over and pet him. But their being very easy, and moving slow around him, He has only been here 48 hours.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It will take some time for all of you to get used to each other. Remember, best case he has been horribly neglected for 6 months and worse case abused on top of it, so it will take a while to build the trust.

After almost a year, Apollo is still coming out of his shell.

cc

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yes, in time, he will get to know all of us....He doesn't flinch, or anything, as in that type of abuse.......just looks lost.

But then when my girl got out of the car for school, of course he went for the ride with us this morning, he cried for a minute when she was walking into school....was kinda odd, after only 48 hours here..

I just sent my wife out for the satin ball recipe. I didn't have a few items for it....I appreciate that recipe!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts