Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Sweet Little Bo
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just rescued a Doberman Husky puppy this weekend. I put alot of thought into her and decided a rescue is a way to go.

I was told her dad is a Siberian Husky and mom is a Doberman. I saw pics of them, but I am a little concerned for Bo. First off, she's extremely shy and cautious, which I know is normal to an extent, it has after all only been 2 days. However she is 4 months old and only 12 pounds. I understand that size isn't really a concern as long as she is healthy but anyone with a similar experience and advice would be great.

We feed our other dogs an ultra holistic grain free diet and some raw. I have made satin balls for her just in case. She has been vet checked and worm free, but there is no telling how her first weeks of life were.

I'm slowly seeing her start to trust me, but it's really iffy. She loves playing with our other dogs and the cats and is very friendly, but she seems to be a very submissive dog. My wife is a groomer, and socialization for Bo isn't a problem. Just any tips any of you experienced people may have would be highly welcomed :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
not much advise other than go slow, keep everything positive, and try not to allow her around the other pets all the time as you want her to develop a bond with YOU and not rely/depend on your other pets for security or comfort.
ps. pics please :D

edit: just for comparisson, I have a 12 week old puppy and I allow her around my 2 other dogs less than an hour a day. She LOVES them and would play with them nonstop if she was allowed, but she isnt and has mommy/daddy bonding all day instead :)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Welcome to you and your family. Agree with Dobiegal, she'll have pleanty of time for playing with your other dogs but right now you want her gaining confidence and bonding with you. She is still very new. I say in a couple weeks she will be a totally different dog.

As far as her weight, Jordan was 12 weeks when we adopted him and he was only 14 pounds and scrawny. He eventually caught up to where he needed to be. Feed her as normal, if raw, feed her according to her adult weight, and her body will catch up. You may even want to feed a little lightly for a while so her tummy can have time to get used to the new diet and good food. You know she is getting good nutrition, so I don't think there is any need to worry. The bulk will come later.

Can't wait to see pictures of this little girl. Congrats.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Hi! I think slow and steady is the way to approach this one!
PS....
PICTURES OH HOW I LOVE THEM! PLEASE POST SOME!

Ahem, that is all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts