Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :)

Just joined, wanted to introduce us. We have a 1 year old male fawn, well, at least he will be 1, on July 12th... And we just took on a rescue of a 5 week old female. We also have, which sometimes I almost forget because he is so little, a male Minpin who is almost 2. My husband has always utilized the doberman forums to help with learning about the breed and all the quirky little things that come along in day to day life, and I have always appreciated that and found it extremly helpful, but now with the baby, I almost think it is was a necessity to join.

I understand the implications and responsibilites of taking on a pup at that age, how it can affect their social development and health, but we didn't take the baby away from her mother. The litter was taken away from their mother at 4 weeks of age because the BYB was forced to give the puppies up, the mother was malnourised and because of the large litter she wasn't able to continue to feeding/caring for them, and the BYB obviously didn't care as to the health of either the pups or the mother. I have spent hours going through thread after thread and trying to find as much info as I could from the web, I have also called my vet and spoke with him about the situation as well...

I guess what I am looking to get out of this is hopefully knowledge from other Dobe Moms/Dads that have been in a similar situation. Advice, tidbits, whatever. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe post in the puppy forum for more info/advice and more people looking at your post?

Good luck and WELCOME!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Welcome, you sure are in the right forum to find a lot of valuable and helpful information, at least I did.

I also have a boy that was taken away from his mom at 4weeks, he is 10 months old today.

What I can say from my experience is that he has had, and still does a lot of allergies, the vet concluded due to poor immune system. With regards to temperament, he wasn't the most confident of pupps (I'm also to blame too as I was babying too much) but he is much better.

As with all pupps, a lot of patience, love and cuddles.

Good luck!

Any chance of some pics?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts