Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New member wishing to learn!!!

951 views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  dax0402 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am from a small town in Eastern New Mexico. I have always loved the Doberman, they are such Elegant dogs and for as long as I can remember I have always wanted a beautiful Doberman of my own. now that I am married and have a place of my own my husband and i have decided to begin our quest to be Doberman owners ( granted he took a little persuasion, sorry if i spelt that wrong. He loves the smaller breed of the Miniature Schnauzer at the time we have two). We have also decided that it will a couple of yrs before we actually make our purchase of the new family member, but I want to start learning all I can about actually owning such a beautiful, strong minded and powerful dog. So beware some of my questions may seem pretty basic but i want to make sure i have my facts straight, and also from a good source and not from someone who as simply "heard of" what the breed is like... meaning they believe the myths of the breed and not the truths.

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice.

Amanda W.

:D

#2 ·
Welcome to Doberman Talk!

It's a good thing you're doing your research now, and not after you already have a new puppy/dog at home (the way so many of us did.....:rolleyesww:)

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and a lot of us learning and trying to accurately share what we've learned. Plus, you know, a bunch of awesome Dobermans.

#3 ·
i have been reading so many wonderful stories on here and cant wait to add my own..... and i also just read that are some horse people here too!!! I currently have a mare who has many times over been my best friend... once I figure out how to post pics ill get some up of her!!

Cant wait to get to know everyone!!!

Reactions: Darkevs
#6 ·
to you both, where should I start looking for a breeder. I want to start now because I believe that a respectful responsible breeder only breeds once every few years. So i would like to get in contact with one and get to know so that they can help me find the right doberman for my home and lifestyle. Right now im thinking a male, tolerant cuz i have two children but yet ready to get up and go because I also have horses I ride and would love to take "him?" along.

Reactions: Darkevs
#8 ·
Welcome! You may want to post a thread in the "Breeding and Breeders" section with your location asking for breeder suggestions in your area. If you have a male dog in the house already you will want to add a female, as male-male aggression is pretty common in the breed. An ethical breeder won't sell you a male if you already have a male dog in the house.

Reactions: Amandae and brw1982
#9 ·
Welcome from Missouri!

Reactions: Amandae
#13 ·
If you have a male dog in the house already you will want to add a female, as male-male aggression is pretty common in the breed. An ethical breeder won't sell you a male if you already have a male dog in the house.
Yes we do have a 10yr old un-neutered male Schnauzer and a 6yr old spayed female and that is the main reason we have decided to wait on our purchase of my doberman. our male has begun to show the signs of ageing... not to sound like we want to replace him.. but have decided to only have two dogs at any one time(for now at least... "grins sheepishly");).

To answer the question as to why he is not neutered, honestly i have no idea because to me he does not meet the standard of the breed by any means...." but his registered"

I think i have mentioned my distaste for my husbands mother in her breeding practice. but thats a different thread. and also when I more time to vent.... lol.

#14 ·
My mom bred Miniature Schnauzers in the middle of the last century... most of her dogs made in into their late teens or early twenties, so you may have much time to research!

There are many valid reasons to leave an animal intact, not just for the purposes of showing or breeding. It is not something you need to explain or justify.

If your girl is elderly when you have room for a pup in your house, please make sure that she (and you) are up to the task. Pups - well-behaved and well supervised pups - can either be a welcome diversion to an old dog, or have considerable negative impact on their quality of life.

#17 ·
If your girl is elderly when you have room for a pup in your house, please make sure that she (and you) are up to the task. Pups - well-behaved and well supervised pups - can either be a welcome diversion to an old dog, or have considerable negative impact on their quality of life.
I Totally agree with you when you say this and I assure you that I will take into consideration "everyone" in our family on deciding when to add a new member. Thank you for your concern though.... and I truely mean that.

To Everyone who as offered their opinion and advice.... THANK YOU!!

Reactions: MeadowCat
#20 ·
well I just left their website and the closest one I found was in San Antonio area. Maybe if I can contact someone there they can point me to someone closer to my area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.