Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We are owned by our 6 yr old n/m red, who is called Jake. We currently live in SC, but have bought a home in Lakeland, FL.

He is our second dobie. Our first was a mix, and we never knew she had dobie in her until she was nearly 10. We had her, after rescuing her from a shelter when she was a year old, and after a 5 year battle with a malignant throat hemangioma cancer she passed peacefully with her family around her. She outlived the vet's prediction by 5 years. She had a mass the size of a grapefruit, but it never slowed her down. We got Jake from a lady who's husband was an ATF dog handler and after they got Jake for her, ATF gave him a second lab to work with. They just could not handle 3 high maintenance dogs/puppies and train properly. We ended up with a total sweetie, who is seriously not an alpha, which we like. He is still very active but can be a couch potato with us when he wants. I have taught him to be a service dog for me in that he balances me when I am not wearing my leg braces. He was so intuitive as to what he needed to do for me. Such a smartie :)

The reason I joined this group is that I saw many folks from the Florida area, and thought I might get some help in locating an older, 2 years on up, female rescue. Jake needs a friend and he needs one younger than him since he loves to play and run like a 2 year old! I have been scouring online resources but only found an 8 year old that does not like other dogs.

If someone can point me in another direction, am open to all suggestions. We have a large fenced yard in SC for play, and will be finishing the fencing the previous owner started in FL so that they will have plenty of room to play. We also have an inground pool and they are inside dogs, always. No cats right now, but that may change, depending on how we do with another dobie.

Thanks in advance,
Lee, Jake's mommy

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for looking at rescue dogs! I'm sure some people in your area might have suggestions as to what rescues you should look at.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

Bless you for choosing to rescue! They are the BEST!

Hugz to you and yours!

Good luck with your search for just the right DoberGirl!
try these guys...........Dobermann Rescue of Lake Placid, Inc. Untitled Document

1 - 10 of 10 Posts