Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a new dobie puppy. I adopted him from a So. Cal. rescue on Sunday. I'm picking him up this weekend because I needed to make the right preparations before I bring him home. As a first time Dobie owner, I am open to any advice on how to best prepare for the new arrival.

Also,

I have a question regarding ear cropping/tail docking. What is the average cost of said procedure? Are most vets trained to do it? The pup is around 8 weeks so I think now is the time. I am still debating whether or not to do it. Don't want to expose him to any unnecessary pain or discomfort. He will just be a pet and not a show dog. Opinions?

The keeper said he is actually about 3/4 Dobie, with part Rott or Shepherd. He looks like a Dobie pup though.

Sorry for the long-winded first post!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your new baby :)
He is still young enough to have his ears cropped but weigh that option heavily - if you do it, make sure you have a very experienced vet do it and have someone who will guide you through the long process of aftercare (posting and training them to stand can take many months).
Docking is generally done when the pup is just a few days old. Doing it now is a major procedure. I know two people who had their Cockers docked at 2 or 3 months old and both swear they would never do that again. At this age it's not just a little snip and all is good, it's a surgery to amputate part of the dog's tail.
Personally, I favor the all natural look :) Check out pics of little Wez: http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1269 and I'm sure you'll see why :)
Natural or cropped and docked, they're all Dobes and just the best dogs in the world!
Make yourself comfy here and plan on being hounded for tons of pics :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tracy! Those are adorable pics!

As far as pics from me, not too worry! There will be plenty to come! I agree, natural or cut, Dobies are great-looking dogs. In any case, you have given me great food for thought. Can't wait to bring him home! :dancing_b

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Rebel73 said:
I have a question regarding ear cropping/tail docking. What is the average cost of said procedure? Are most vets trained to do it? The pup is around 8 weeks so I think now is the time. I am still debating whether or not to do it. Don't want to expose him to any unnecessary pain or discomfort. He will just be a pet and not a show dog. Opinions?

The keeper said he is actually about 3/4 Dobie, with part Rott or Shepherd. He looks like a Dobie pup though.

Sorry for the long-winded first post!
There are far more vets that crop than there are vets who crop well. You have to be very, very careful about who you choose to crop ears-a bad crop is a disaster you'll have to live with for a lifetime.

I live in the Inland Empire, the local vet I use is known as a cropping "artist"..the last time I had a litter of puppies done it was about $200/puppy to get them cropped.

A couple of years ago I rescued 2 dobe puppies @ 8 weeks old-had them cropped, docked and dewclaws removed before placing them..while it's certainly easier to dock them at 3 days old (which is when it's usually done), I really didn't find it that hard on them to do it at 8 weeks. I'd do it again should the circumstances present themselves. I'm thinking it was around $275/puppy to get everything done that day.

If you decide to go ahead and crop and/or dock-I'd recommend Dr. Jezbera in Riverside or Dr. Zarilli in Irvine. I believe there's also a Dr. La Bonte (sp) in Los Angeles that does nice crops.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hello and welcome! Although I own a cropped dobe, I definetely prefer the natural look and what the dogs avoid going through, just IMO.

Best wishes on your choice either way though, you'll find support and answers here. You've found a great forum, please browse around and feel free to ask anything.

Please check out our Town Hall section, there is lots of great info and experiences to be found there.. http://www.dobermantalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Congrats from my Dobe gang. I know that you will find this forum is supportive and fun! Let us know how things go on the cropping ect if you decide...Good luck

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures of you new little one once he comes home! In the picture you posted, he is so cute! Can I borrow him just for a few months or a year would be nice too. I am sure the answer is no, but I just thought I would ask!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi Reb73.

You've come to the right place for Dober-info. These folks here have helped me out a bunch.

Where in So.Cal are you? I'm in Redlands.

I've heard good things about Dr Jezbera at Riverside Animal Hospital from Dobie people as far away as San Diego.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Chaz said:
Hi

I've heard good things about Dr Jezbera at Riverside Animal Hospital from Dobie people as far away as San Diego.
Yes! Dr. Jezbera has cropped all but one of my dogs, and he does beautiful work. I've been in his office when people have brought in entire litters to be cropped from as far away as Las Vegas and the SF bay area. I cant recommend him enough, and he's an all around nice guy as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chaz said:
Hi Reb73.

You've come to the right place for Dober-info. These folks here have helped me out a bunch.

Where in So.Cal are you? I'm in Redlands.

Hi Chaz! I'm in Los Angeles, near South Pasadena. Well, I have to make up my mind about whether or not to crop soon. I'm picking him up on Sunday. Also, I'm still debating on a name. I might name him Rebel, like my username. It's also my name on several other forums (motos, cars). For a job well done, it would be worth the trip to Riverside, I think. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you drive out this way in the morning, and home in the afternoon, you are going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Welcome Rebel73 I hope you enjoy it here. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yes welcome to the forum from me and my pack.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome.

If the pup is 8 weeks old it will be a tramatic experiance to have his tail docked. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wonder if their would really be much pain and discomfort for the dog.I have seen people on this board go and get their dobie re-docked because of length issues with out a problem.

To me it's the same thing

·
Registered
357 Posts
it would be like any other major surgery.. pain for a few day thent hey forget about it.. its like a dog that has to have there leg amputated.. but yeah it would be a major surgery now. Personally i dont like to crop or dock on a mixed breed.. i have a pit/boxer mix and he is all natural. some dogs look like a certain breed as a puppy but when they grow up there features might change some... Oh heh off topic kinda.. i went to the shelter the other day and i seen this rottie mix he looked like a rottie.. except the long hair and he did have his tail docked.. he looked kinda silly but that is my opinion.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
I have seen people on this board go and get their dobie re-docked because of length issues with out a problem.

To me it's the same thing
This is true..puppy tails are re-docked when their ears are cropped all the time, and it doesn't appear to be traumatic. The cartilege is still fairly soft at that age.

As they get older, it can become more of an issue...I'd have reservations about re-docking (or docking) a six month old puppy for example.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts