Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
New to the forum, but long time reader. My husband and I lost my Red Dobie last week to aggressive osteosarcoma of the jaw and skull and we are absolutely heartbroken. I have been researching breeders in Cali for a while, as we had hoped to get a companion for our dog prior to his diagnosis and decline. I am hoping to align to a good breeder to get a puppy as soon as possible. We know we could never replace our beloved Red Ranger , but have such a hole in our hearts and lives right now. I have reached out to many of the breeders mentioned in CA breeder referral thread via email, phone and FB, but have received little to no response. Particularly I have struggled to get in touch with Linda at Soquel, as based on her site, I believe she has a male pup still available. Any referral or connections to a breeder within a 6 hr drive of NorCal or open to shipping would be greatly appreciated. Particularly I am looking for a dog that has had through testing of both sire and dam as well as puppies. I have found many bargain breeders that cut corners and produce unhealthy dogs, and fear this greatly. We are looking to ideally get an american male in Red, Fawn or Blue. Primarily the dog would be a companion animal, that could also be trained for therapy. Our Red worked with sick children and end of life elderly patients to provide loving and cuddles. I have also developed an interest in Agility, and would be open to show or stud if needed due to premium lineage.

In so far as experience with dogs and breed. I grew up with Dobies and Vizslas, and during my college years adopted a special needs greyhound, and subsequently number of min pins (due to limited living space). Our recently departed Red Ranger (Red Dobie) was a rescue from NW Florida who shared 6.5 of his 7.5 years with us. Our dogs are are children and they go where we go and sleep where we sleep. My husband works from home full time and I work from home most of the time. We just purchased a home with 3.5 acres so our dog could have plenty of space to run and play.
Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
- Jessica

< Cross posting as my intro post>

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hello Jespaz,

Firstly I am so deeply sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you and the goodbyes you had to make far too soon with your boy. I know what it's like to lose a dog to an aggressive cancer unexpectedly early.

Secondly, you are a little unfortunate in your timing for reaching out to breeders at the moment. The demand is insanely high right now, the number of people seeking dogs has skyrocketed. Waitlists are either full, or breeders have 100s of emails a week (if not a day in some cases) and haven't had the capacity to go through all of them.

If I had to place a bet I would guess most breeders haven't even seen your emails yet. At the best of times reputable breeders will have a 6 month to year waiting time on average. But under these uncertain pandemic times some breeders are cancelling breeding plans which means there are even less reputable puppies available, and the demand has increased so much I know breeders who's waitlists are already going into 2022 or 2023. A friend just had a litter of 13 and all pups are spoken for.

You will have to be a little more patient than usual in awaiting response.

There aren't a whole lote of fawns and blues out there from reputable breeders as many will intentionally breed away from dilution, and those reputable breeders who do produce it on occasion aren't intentionally breeding for/away from it so it may or may not happen. It's good to mention colour preferences however I wouldn't stay stuck on a colour at this point and focus more on temperament.

What do your introductory emails look like when you reach out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my introduction email I explain my current situation, experience with dobies and other breeds, living quarters, and plan for my how I care for my dogs ( with us full time, eat sleep and be with us like Velcro dogs), as well as what I am hoping to get in a dog (color, sex, temperament). Lastly I also stress the importance of finding a breeder that does through health testing.
Hello Jespaz,

Firstly I am so deeply sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you and the goodbyes you had to make far too soon with your boy. I know what it's like to lose a dog to an aggressive cancer unexpectedly early.

Secondly, you are a little unfortunate in your timing for reaching out to breeders at the moment. The demand is insanely high right now, the number of people seeking dogs has skyrocketed. Waitlists are either full, or breeders have 100s of emails a week (if not a day in some cases) and haven't had the capacity to go through all of them.

If I had to place a bet I would guess most breeders haven't even seen your emails yet. At the best of times reputable breeders will have a 6 month to year waiting time on average. But under these uncertain pandemic times some breeders are cancelling breeding plans which means there are even less reputable puppies available, and the demand has increased so much I know breeders who's waitlists are already going into 2022 or 2023. A friend just had a litter of 13 and all pups are spoken for.

You will have to be a little more patient than usual in awaiting response.

There aren't a whole lote of fawns and blues out there from reputable breeders as many will intentionally breed away from dilution, and those reputable breeders who do produce it on occasion aren't intentionally breeding for/away from it so it may or may not happen. It's good to mention colour preferences however I wouldn't stay stuck on a colour at this point and focus more on temperament.

What do your introductory emails look like when you reach out?

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum and please accept my condolences on the loss of your lovey.

I lost my best gal to osteosarcoma in her leg 2 years ago this month. Coco was almost 9. I still miss her.

Be honest and heartfelt in your emails. 2 hours after we let Coco go at home on December 21, I sent out emails to 4 breeders. I heard back from 3 of them within 24 hours and met with 2 of them right after Christmas. Little did I know that when Sugar's breeder came to do a home study on us that I would discover Sugar's first mama was pregnant with him and I felt her babies move in her tummy while she laid on the couch beside me.

I know I'm in Canada and I'm very lucky that I connected with 2 breeders that were willing to offer me a puppy because of the connection we made with them.

Sugar was born 10 days after we let Coco go. I know she knew I needed help grieving her and truly believe she helped make things happen for her mama.

I've been busy ever since with this busy boy who has been so good at heart healing.

Hugs to you. I sincerely hope you find your heart healer soon. Don't give up and don't be discouraged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum and please accept my condolences on the loss of your lovey.

I lost my best gal to osteosarcoma in her leg 2 years ago this month. Coco was almost 9. I still miss her.

Be honest and heartfelt in your emails. 2 hours after we let Coco go at home on December 21, I sent out emails to 4 breeders. I heard back from 3 of them within 24 hours and met with 2 of them right after Christmas. Little did I know that when Sugar's breeder came to do a home study on us that I would discover Sugar's first mama was pregnant with him and I felt her babies move in her tummy while she laid on the couch beside me.

I know I'm in Canada and I'm very lucky that I connected with 2 breeders that were willing to offer me a puppy because of the connection we made with them.

Sugar was born 10 days after we let Coco go. I know she knew I needed help grieving her and truly believe she helped make things happen for her mama.

I've been busy ever since with this busy boy who has been so good at heart healing.

Hugs to you. I sincerely hope you find your heart healer soon. Don't give up and don't be discouraged.
Thank you so much! Where in Canada are you, if west side you breeder referral may be viable for me as I am in Northern California. I have been emailing a bunch of breeders trying not to be to pushy, but plan to send a second round of emails again today in the hope that I get a response. I did find one amazing breeder, but they only have a girl, and my husband and I both are set on a male. 😞

·
Big Lil pup
7,335 Posts
Hi Jessica... And welcome from the Pacific NW. Your 3rd post suggests that you would travel (at least in the West) to get the right pup. This is fortunate, as there are a number of very good breeders of quality Doberman here in the Pacific NW.

Here is a current thread that contains several links to info regarding West coast breeders. Pay special attention to the post by member Meadowcat:

Looking for a Responsible Breeder in Oregon or Washington

Best to you both

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say:

You should be aware of the fact that it has been discussed several times here on DT as to how inundated reputable Doberman breeders have been with requests for puppies.

J.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,757 Posts
I am in Ontario so more central Canada which wouldn't work but I believe there are good breeders on the west coast. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any.

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would follow up your emails with a polite phone call. Some breeders are better with phone calls and it may help them find your email in the huge amounts of interest they are getting. Phone numbers are often listed on the DPCA breeder referral page.

In terms of looking in Canada, I have a couple of friends who were or are looking at puppies across the border, and it's really difficult to get a puppy across the border right now with Covid restrictions, from what I've heard. I'm not sure that's an option for you.

I don't know if you're interested/willing to expand your search farther. I know of a litter coming up on the other side of the country from Firelite Dobermans - a repeat breeding out of Caleb lines. (Puppies)

Jana Dupre of Promise/Olympia has said she is planning an upcoming breeding, and she breeds nice dogs. She'd be worth contacting. Her website is very out of date, but you can find her contact info here. She's also on FB: Promise / Olympia Doberman Pinschers

Shelly Wing of Shelian Dobes (one of our members here) is planning a breeding, but she may have too long of a waiting list. Shelian Dobermans

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod
1 - 9 of 9 Posts