Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Prescott, AZ, a mile above sea level like Denver is, with my wife Christine. Our 3 adult children have left us "empty nesters."

We have owned about 16 dogs in our lives. We once bred and showed Great Danes. We have two dogs now: a nearly 9 yr. old Beauceron (looks a bit like a Doberman) and a nearly 8 yr. old Australian Shepherd/Poodle certified therapy dog. It is time to add some youth to our dog pack.

We have 3 fenced acres in the pines on the edge of the Prescott National Forest. I am a hiker and jogger. Prescott is hot in summer, but nothing like Phoenix, and has mild winters with light snow at times. I know how to protect the dog in/from the heat and the sun. .

I want to get a European-type Doberman for a pet, family protection dog and to compete in obedience, agility and maybe coursing. I am not interested in AKC conformation competitions, having competed with Great Danes 30 years ago and not enjoying that.

I don't want the extreme intensity of a Malinois or Border Collie, but need for there to be normal Doberman breed drive for family and home protection, which is still high, I know. I understand a European type Doberman is usually bred to be a working dog and can have that extremely high drive---I prefer the stout physicality of the European or partially European bred Doberman, but with normal drive not the extra high drive which I hope to avoid. This will be a companion dog more than anything, and I want the dog to be happy rather than unable to relax even after a long run or hike.

Mostly, I want a physically and mentally sound, intelligent, athletic and loyal dog with a good life expectancy. Probably seeking a male puppy as the two dogs we have are older spayed females and I hope to have an friendly transition into the next generation, but my wife prefers females, so we are open to just choosing the best available puppy. No interest in conformation shows, looking forward to competing in obedience and agility, maybe more. No problem with a minor color or marking problem, seeking a classic black with tan markings. Don't care about getting an extra large or small dog, normal size is fine.

We can wait for the right litter. Do any of you plan any soon or know someone who is proven reliable as a breeder of sound Dobermans as described above who is planning a new litter? I understand that $3,000 is the "going rate," and I am not even red-lined at that necessarily for a special puppy or perhaps an under one year old dog. I am willing to go to California, Nevada, Utah, N. Mexico or Arizona, and maybe farther for the right puppy. Any suggestions will be very welcome.

We plan to be at the working dog show in Phoenix in the first week of February, 2021, hope to see some of you then.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Welcome to DT. We'd love to see pictures of your current pack!
I'm no help with US breeders, as I live in Central America, but I'm sure other members will chime in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome from Colorado

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
21,118 Posts
Welcome!

I would recommend going to the UDC Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/uniteddobermanclub/. You'll find the breeders referenced there much more likely to be breeding European lines/working lines (and be reputable). There is also a UDC website (https://uniteddobermanclub.com/). Their latest issue of the UDC Focus magazine is online, and there are ads in there that might be leads for you, too.

Best of luck in your search!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts