Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salutations from the East Coast. I hope this post finds you without snow, warm and in good health! I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some feedback importing my Euro Son! I'm going to pick between these 2 boys but since this is my 1st time I was hoping for some assistance. I know you can't tell everything form pics but any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Great question...My wife and I would love to do IPO & Agility. I was also curious about the rust color will this get darker as they age?

·
Super Moderator
22,318 Posts
I would hope the breeder would choose the best puppy for me based on the puppy's temperament, because they would know the puppy incredibly well. Especially as a possible sport home, you really really want a puppy that suits your needs (whether you've done these sports before? Had a Doberman before?). I would never choose a puppy based on a photo, and would be nervous about a breeder that would let me choose, because the puppy might be a complete mismatch between my lifestyle and what I want to do and what that puppy is like.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Conformationally they are fairly similar. Both are going to be a bit upright in the shoulder. Agility is a bit difficult for euros because of that, a lot more prone to injury in a sport already known for injuries.

Agreed with Meadowcat, the breeder should be picking the puppy based on drives. If the breeder doesn't compete then I'd personally go with a breeder who does so you set yourself up for success in those venues.

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
Thanks! Great question...My wife and I would love to do IPO & Agility. I was also curious about the rust color will this get darker as they age?
Probably not--that's a pretty nice dark rust. I wouldn't really want it any darker.

Just my thought on the pictures--because these pups have been encouraged to do that heavy forward lean that's popular in some of the European countries in conformation shows it makes it hard to tell what their shoulder assembly is really like. That stance usually accentuates the forechest and often makes a shoulder look straighter than it really is.

My biggest concern would be the rise over the thoracic spine--I don't like that look at all--with that Euro stack the topline should look very smooth from shoulder to root of tail. Puppy 1 is much worse in that regard than puppy 2.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
I noticed that too, bug. When I really zeroed in on it, it looked like at least some of that rise was the way they were holding a black leash over the puppy's shoulders and back--but I do think there is more of a rise than I would like.

But I'm also looking at the bottom line-the way the rib cage seems to go up and then down again--do you think that is a fat little puppy belly or is it part of what looks like a spine arch?

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
I noticed that too, bug. When I really zeroed in on it, it looked like at least some of that rise was the way they were holding a black leash over the puppy's shoulders and back--but I do think there is more of a rise than I would like.

But I'm also looking at the bottom line-the way the rib cage seems to go up and then down again--do you think that is a fat little puppy belly or is it part of what looks like a spine arch?
I was so stalled out on the topline bump I didn't even look at the underline. But, because of where the light source is you can't really see detail on that side view and it kind of looks like the puppies were fed just before the stacking and that what you are seeing is puppy belly but the other thing I see that I don't like once I looked more carefully--you can actually see where the rib cage starts to rise and I wonder if they are both going to be somewhat herring gutted and if they are are both somewhat long in loin. If the light was on the puppy from behind the camera you could see shadowing that would tell you more about the length of the rib cage as a compared to the length of the loin itself.

dobebug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts