Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello doberman fans. I've been lucky so far to have had the privilege of adopting two very different boys. One being and outstanding European doberman and the other American. As you all are aware of when adopting, you are not getting a show dog. Which is okay for me.
As I said I have only just adopted my Dobermans. So far "knock on wood" I have been very lucky. They have come with issues which I worked around, but it would be lovely to own a puppy so I can install what I want and not someone else's mistakes. My dilemma is weigh spend a small fortune to me and buying my own pup. Where I can be the one installing the traits I want for my Dobie, instead of working with some one else's miss-instillations
I know that getting a puppy from a reputable breeder is of the highest concern. Here is my dilemma:
I want my dogs to have the best of everything, but are there such things as reputable breeders who don't want a fortune for their pups. I realize what goes into the cost of breeding, genetic testing, shots crop and dock etc. but one does not genetically retest tested parents over and over again and it has become relatively cheap. So why the high prices? When I first started looking at pups I found a litter going for $6,500.00 OMG I was hoping it came potty trained and a full 12 year of life Warranty. That is way out of my league. I've ridden horses all my life and I guess buying a Doberman must be like buying a Thorough Bred, Horse, or a very expensive Arabian. I want to do what is right for this breed to further its wonderful personality, but are their affordable puppies out there anywhere??? I'm still paying off my substantial vet bill I acquired by trying anything and everything to save my magnificent boy who passed not to long ago. Even the Cardiologist was in admiration of what an incredible dog I had. I've been in a chat where people share their thoughts on breeders and what is a good choice. I'm an Oregonian so I knew of FOX FIRE Dobermans but I never hear anything back from Michelle Santana when I email her. In fairness to Michelle, she does have a mention that says please phone her if you hear nothing back. I did that once 4 years ago and have been disappointed.. I've seen her dogs and they look like my first Doberman. Beautiful!!! My sister lives nest to a gentleman who owns two from Fire Fox, his children own Fire Fox pups! Maybe its by word of mouth?? They are expensive. I don't need a show dog just a doberman who will be with me for a looong time. A leaner and a "where you go, so do I". Maybe one who fits my budget a little better. I always want the best, but sometimes it just isnt going to happen. Thank you to all who read this lengthy confusing post. I only ask that you be kind. I'm well in age and I do realize so much has changed, but I don't think finding a companion should be so hard and outrageously expensive; I just want to find a healthy doby who will actually be able to live a life. Dobermans are amazing dogs and I shall never be without one. I'm rambling nos sorry. But I need your guy's knowledge.
Ever thanks.
-Charlene

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
Hello doberman fans. I've been lucky so far to have had the privilege of adopting two very different boys. One being and outstanding European doberman and the other American. As you all are aware of when adopting, you are not getting a show dog. Which is okay for me.
As I said I have only just adopted my Dobermans. So far "knock on wood" I have been very lucky. They have come with issues which I worked around, but it would be lovely to own a puppy so I can install what I want and not someone else's mistakes. My dilemma is weigh spend a small fortune to me and buying my own pup. Where I can be the one installing the traits I want for my Dobie, instead of working with some one else's miss-instillations
I know that getting a puppy from a reputable breeder is of the highest concern. Here is my dilemma:
I want my dogs to have the best of everything, but are there such things as reputable breeders who don't want a fortune for their pups. I realize what goes into the cost of breeding, genetic testing, shots crop and dock etc. but one does not genetically retest tested parents over and over again and it has become relatively cheap. So why the high prices? When I first started looking at pups I found a litter going for $6,500.00 OMG I was hoping it came potty trained and a full 12 year of life Warranty. That is way out of my league. I've ridden horses all my life and I guess buying a Doberman must be like buying a Thorough Bred, Horse, or a very expensive Arabian. I want to do what is right for this breed to further its wonderful personality, but are their affordable puppies out there anywhere??? I'm still paying off my substantial vet bill I acquired by trying anything and everything to save my magnificent boy who passed not to long ago. Even the Cardiologist was in admiration of what an incredible dog I had. I've been in a chat where people share their thoughts on breeders and what is a good choice. I'm an Oregonian so I knew of FOX FIRE Dobermans but I never hear anything back from Michelle Santana when I email her. In fairness to Michelle, she does have a mention that says please phone her if you hear nothing back. I did that once 4 years ago and have been disappointed.. I've seen her dogs and they look like my first Doberman. Beautiful!!! My sister lives nest to a gentleman who owns two from Fire Fox, his children own Fire Fox pups! Maybe its by word of mouth?? They are expensive. I don't need a show dog just a doberman who will be with me for a looong time. A leaner and a "where you go, so do I". Maybe one who fits my budget a little better. I always want the best, but sometimes it just isnt going to happen. Thank you to all who read this lengthy confusing post. I only ask that you be kind. I'm well in age and I do realize so much has changed, but I don't think finding a companion should be so hard and outrageously expensive; I just want to find a healthy doby who will actually be able to live a life. Dobermans are amazing dogs and I shall never be without one. I'm rambling nos sorry. But I need your guy's knowledge.
Ever thanks.
-Charlene
Hey Charlene,

Well, I'm in Portland, Oregon and I've had Foxfire Dobes since 1995 and before that I had a Dobe who was half Foxfire. I know Michelle and what you heard about calling her if she doesn't respond to e-mails is right on.

There are some dog shows starting to appear again and often they are very much out of the area so calling her is probably the best way of reaching her. I don't know what her prices are but I almost fell out of my chair at the $6,500 price tag. I think that from what I hear that the average price tag for a puppy from a very reputable breeder is around $3,500. I know that Michelle sells both pet and show prospects for about the same price (it costs her as much to raise a nice pet as it does to raise a show prospect) but that price is an average and you really should try to talk to Michelle. She breeds lovely dogs and most of mine have lived long--my most recent Foxfire Champion was a lovely fawn male who left for wherever the good dogs go at 14 years.

I go so far back in time that I got my first Dobe (a show prospect--who turned out to be more than just a prospect--as a novice owner handler I finished him in Canada and in the States and his breeder showed him as a special and did well in both Canada and the States--he cost me $100 and crops were $25--gas was 28 cents a gallon and I could split the cost of room at a fairly nice motel with a friend and it was only $5 for each of us--and show entries were $5.

So I know how much the cost for a well bred pet is these days.

I know of a litter on the ground and another (if the bitch is pregnant) that will be coming up in about 7 weeks. You are welcome to email me at [email protected] maybe I can figure out a way for you to reach Michelle or one of the other breeders--both of them go back to Michelle's breeding and typically would be puppies I'd consider for myself if I hadn't borrowed a puppy from a friend after I lost my old boy.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
The $6,500 price is way out of line. Like bug said, I think the going price is about $3,500.

One comment about the testing though--the tests for DCM are done every year, preferably within the 6 months prior to breeding the dogs (both parents). They are expensive. They are not genetic tests; the gene testing for DCM that you sometimes see listed is basically of academic interest and does not really do a complete job of predicting the future development of DCM. Thyroid and liver tests are also done every year, and CERF tests may be run every year also.

The genetic test for vonWillebrand's, and xrays to determine hip/elbow dysplasia are run once. But they are about the cheapest out of the battery of tests that should be run on a breeding pair.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hey Charlene,

Well, I'm in Portland, Oregon and I've had Foxfire Dobes since 1995 and before that I had a Dobe who was half Foxfire. I know Michelle and what you heard about calling her if she doesn't respond to e-mails is right on.

There are some dog shows starting to appear again and often they are very much out of the area so calling her is probably the best way of reaching her. I don't know what her prices are but I almost fell out of my chair at the $6,500 price tag. I think that from what I hear that the average price tag for a puppy from a very reputable breeder is around $3,500. I know that Michelle sells both pet and show prospects for about the same price (it costs her as much to raise a nice pet as it does to raise a show prospect) but that price is an average and you really should try to talk to Michelle. She breeds lovely dogs and most of mine have lived long--my most recent Foxfire Champion was a lovely fawn male who left for wherever the good dogs go at 14 years.

I go so far back in time that I got my first Dobe (a show prospect--who turned out to be more than just a prospect--as a novice owner handler I finished him in Canada and in the States and his breeder showed him as a special and did well in both Canada and the States--he cost me $100 and crops were $25--gas was 28 cents a gallon and I could split the cost of room at a fairly nice motel with a friend and it was only $5 for each of us--and show entries were $5.

So I know how much the cost for a well bred pet is these days.

I know of a litter on the ground and another (if the bitch is pregnant) that will be coming up in about 7 weeks. You are welcome to email me at [email protected] maybe I can figure out a way for you to reach Michelle or one of the other breeders--both of them go back to Michelle's breeding and typically would be puppies I'd consider for myself if I hadn't borrowed a puppy from a friend after I lost my old boy.

dobebug
I am looking for a pup also and would be interested if your extending any further?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The going price depends on where you are in the country. I don't know what it's like out west but there are a few breeders on the East Coast asking 4000, 4500 and even 5000$ (a friend's parents just bought a pet for that much from a reputable breeder) so while 6500$ is insane to me, it isn't all that surprising.
That being said 3000-3500$ seems like the going "low end" rate. You might find a few breeders in the midwest especially if just starting out for about that or even a little under.
In Canada the average market price seems to be 3000-3500$ CAD (2300-2800USD) with the low point being around 2500$ and the high point that I'm aware of being around 4000-4500$ CAD (for a pet).

So long of the short - yes there are definitely reputable breeders who are asking about half or a little less than half that much!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The $6,500 price is way out of line. Like bug said, I think the going price is about $3,500.

One comment about the testing though--the tests for DCM are done every year, preferably within the 6 months prior to breeding the dogs (both parents). They are expensive. They are not genetic tests; the gene testing for DCM that you sometimes see listed is basically of academic interest and does not really do a complete job of predicting the future development of DCM. Thyroid and liver tests are also done every year, and CERF tests may be run every year also.

The genetic test for vonWillebrand's, and xrays to determine hip/elbow dysplasia are run once. But they are about the cheapest out of the battery of tests that should be run on a breeding pair.
Thank you ery much for responding to my very confusing text. I appreciate all the knowledge you doberman lovers have. I know a bit but learning more is a super plus. I have so many odd questions that need answers. I think I have found the place to have all my questions answered. Thank you so much
Looney

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The going price depends on where you are in the country. I don't know what it's like out west but there are a few breeders on the East Coast asking 4000, 4500 and even 5000$ (a friend's parents just bought a pet for that much from a reputable breeder) so while 6500$ is insane to me, it isn't all that surprising.
That being said 3000-3500$ seems like the going "low end" rate. You might find a few breeders in the midwest especially if just starting out for about that or even a little under.
In Canada the average market price seems to be 3000-3500$ CAD (2300-2800USD) with the low point being around 2500$ and the high point that I'm aware of being around 4000-4500$ CAD (for a pet).

So long of the short - yes there are definitely reputable breeders who are asking about half or a little less than half that much!
Thank you so much for answering my puppy dilemma questions. It takes a long time to find a Reputable breeder. I cant tell you how disappointing it is to think you have found a puppy but further research tells you "NO" not here. Some of the sites i have visited looked so amazing and professional done. But then one I found started off professional but the more I read the odder it got. Turned out to be a Lady in Virginia who is running a puppy mill. Selling Dobermans, Frenchies, and Boxers. Then I called and she told me the puppy I was interested in had demodex. Somewhere in the back of my mind this raised a red flag. On returning back to the site a huge red alert came up and she was under investigation, by the local authorities, the AKC and many neighbors. Whew another bust !!! So having you all pitch in to help me locate the best breed in town!!! is a super comfort. Thank you Looney

·
Big Lil pup
6,730 Posts
Hi Charlene. You are not alone! LOL

My son has been currently talking to Michelle about a new pup from a current litter, as he just recently had to let his wonderful old 10 1/2 yo Foxfire boy go. A few days ago she texted him a pic of one of the little guys. Since then she has gone dark. But this is pretty typical. She should pop up any day soon.

Prices... I have no idea what Foxfire is asking for pups these days. My boy came home Thanksgiving of 2014 and he was $2500. I would guess today $3500 would be a reasonable price for one of her beautiful dogs.

Best to you

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Big Lil pup
6,730 Posts

Here is the baby Foxfire boy that may join our family soon. He will not be a show prospect as he has a white blaze on his chest which make no difference to my son. If he does get this little guy, it will be his 3rd Foxfire Doberman. Between my house and his, my 2 grandkids ( 4 and almost 2) assume that Dobermans are an essential part of normal life.

John L.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts