Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here from north Alabama. I'm also a first time Doberman owner.
Our boy's name is Bruce (aka The Dark Knight) and he's 19 weeks old.

His ears have been free for ~2 weeks, but the past couple of days we have noticed
his left ear is sitting lower than the right.

Here is Bruce a day after removing his ear postings. Both ears are pretty much the
same height.

Here's a photo from today. Notice his left ear sitting lower. The angle of the pic
exaggerates it some, but you get the idea.

After some reading I probably shouldn't have stopped posting his ears until he has
finished teething, but you live and learn.

How should I go about correcting this? Reposting I'm sure, but how do I need to
correct the "bad" ear?

Thanks
Daniel

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It doesn't look like a terribly bad pocket. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but just make sure that you pull the ear up on the post as you're taping it (as in, don't let it slouch) and post for another few months or so. It should be fine.

Welcome to the forums :]

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
You have a pocket. Repost and make sure you pull the ear up and that it is secure on the post so that it doesn't slip. Shouldn't take too long to correct.

Good luck and welcome to DT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what am I actually fixing or trying to do while reposting?
Am I trying to keep the ear from leaning in, or am I trying to shift the whole ear up?

Just trying to make sure there's nothing special I need to be doing when I repost as I'm
new to this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When you're getting ready to wrap the ear around the post, "stretch" the ear as you are taping it. The bell of the ear (the wide, base of the ear) should be stretched up while you are posting and taping it. Always be sure to make a bridge connecting the ears together. I wouldn't worry, he is still very young and his ears are extremely malleable. I've had three dobermans, and all three of them turned out with perfect ears. During the beginning of the posting, the ears would often be uneven, with one flopping down and the other one standing up. Just be consistent. Stretch each ear the same amount each and every time you tape them. Be consistent. Don't leave the ears unwrapped for too long...just long enough to air out and give your pup a brief break from the taping. Consistency and correct taping will pay off. The ears will probably be just fine in the end. Hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts