Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I recently brought home my first doberman at the end of July. He is a fawn male named Jaxon. He is the sweetest most good-natured dog I have ever met, although he seems to be scared of everything, especially the vacuum cleaner lol! As he is the first doberman I have owned, I am sure I will have many questions as he gets older. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and congrats on your new fawn boy!!!. Put him on leash and turn the vacuum on. Just let it sit in the corner and just stand there and hold him in the other room. When he settles down a little ask him to move a little closer to the vacuum. Just work with him each day until he ignores it and will walk right up to it. Don't talk to him just stand and hold the leash which will keep him from exiting the area. Then as he relaxes take a step or two forward and reward him.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
welcome from RI :butfly:

·
Super Moderator
22,941 Posts
Welcome! He's adorable!

You'll definitely want to work on the fear issues now. That kind of stuff can really escalate as they get older and can manifest as fear aggression. A couple of books that you might find helpful for getting started are Patricia McConnell's "The Cautious Canine" (Amazon.com: The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears (9781891767005): Patricia B. McConnell Ph.D.: Books) and Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training" (Amazon.com: The Power of Positive Dog Training (9780470241844): Pat Miller: Books). You might also want to look for a trainer who uses gentle, positive methods to build your puppy's confidence. I recommend starting by looking for trainers here: Dog Trainer Search.

Good luck with your boy! We'd love more pictures!

Reactions: Adara and SReed912

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Welcome to DT and the breed. For the vaccum, I'd start associating it with lots of HIGH VALUE treat. Vaccum comes out, puppy gets treats. Vaccum is off at first and pupy is far enough away he can take treats without reacting. Slowly move closer. Slowly toss treats towards it. Get him to nose touch it. GOOD puppy. THEN with a helper if possible, be in anothe room with it on. Repeat the scenario. I would personally not put him on a leash and make it seem like he can't get away if he wants to.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome from California. Jaxon is adorable!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts