Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:dancing_b
Just a quick note to say Hi. I'm a first time Dobe owner and she (Chihiro) is still quite the baby at just 10.5 weeks. However I'm a bit concerned since I've always heard about and seen these great regal and graceful dogs I'm firmly convinced this little clown although may appear regal in photos or when she's sleeping she will never, ever be graceful :)
We also share our home with Petri -3.5yr old Chihuahua mix- who was less than thrilled about the new addition but is starting to warm up to her and YoYo my daughters Siamese cat.
I look forward to "meeting" you all.

~Tracy
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=179758

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joce,
You must be the one that pointed me to this forum, thank you :) I love the pic of Byron crashed out on the bed!
As far as I know they crop here. We were here about 10 years ago and had our Pit's ears (Storm) done (they turned out very nicely too). We are so on the fence though. Cropping Storm's ears turned out to be a nightmare, on day two she developed a hematoma or hematoba (whatever) in her left ear. The stichtes came loose, she shook her head and my living room looked like Texas Chain Saw Massacre. We had to rush her back to the vet where they had to basically take her ear apart, clean it out and sew it back up; not fun at all for us and especially Storm. Not so sure I want to possibly open that can of worms again. Plus I have no clue - other than what I've read on different forums and lists - on how to post them. If we were in an area where I had more hands on guidance and there wasn't such a language barrier I think I would consider it a little more seriously. I plan on talking to the Dr. about it next Monday.

Any ear experts want to fly to Okinawa, live on the beach and care for Chi's ears for me? :)

~Tracy

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
OMG How cute! Congrats on your first Doberman. Sorry I havent welcomed you sooner but it has been so HOT here I havent gotten out of the pool in a few days. :) Other than food, beer, and bathroom of course. :)

Cant wait to see all the puppy pictures I am sure you will be taking. :) As for the ears that is a really tough decision, I personally like them cropped but I am not sure if I would do that to an older puppy. If you do decide to crop there are a few really good sites to explain how to care for the ears after the crop.

This site http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/puppyears.htm is a member's of ours Mary and Dobes, it has excellent information and I suggest everyone read it over when they have some time.

There is also another site with a ear posting tutorial here http://dobermanpages.com/taping.htm

Good luck with your Puppy and please visit often and let us know how things are going.

DA

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome Admin. I see your heat and raise you 10 degrees. It's wicked hot here too. In fact if you don't see any posts from me in a few days it will be because we've all melted. :) Too hot for beer if you can imagine. Have lowered my standards and actually enjoyed a Daquiri the other day, not soo good but oh so cold.

Thank you for the links. The photo essay was very helpful. I think the decision has pretty much been made to not crop.

Many pics will be taken and shared; you will tire of seeing Chi within the next few weeks I'm sure.

Stay cool,

~Tracy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts