Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum on a friends account and not it is time
for me to join. I live in Central Europa and am very active in the sport of IPO.
I have titles several GSD and Dobermanns to IPO-III
My employment gets me to North America several times a year and I have attended many trials at the local and National level.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome to DT from Canada!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Working lines or show lines? There are a few of us on here that participate in sport. I have working/show line mix and a working line bitch. My current trial girl is a Covae vom Landgraf daughter (Kiro vom Bayern x Lussi von der Krillenburg) and her sire is Usa vom Eschenbruch. I like her very much. Very quick to learn and very biddable.

My retired girl is a Lussi von der Krillenburg daughter and her sire is Cara's Graaf Quinton, a NA show/Euro show line mix. Also VERY smart, but less biddable. She has more aggression than my current girl.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to thank those of you that posted threads about Harraden's dobie den. I came across it and I found it very useful! I might have made a huge mistake without the important information posted in your discussions about this breeder. Between those threads and all of the red flags that went up regarding this breeder (reviews, etc), I didn't make a huge mistake. Thank God for freedom of speech and forums that help to educate unsuspecting buyers. I had a dobie for almost 12 years before he died of cancer. I would have been so heart broken to buy a puppy only to have problems or potentially just as bad, learn I contributed to a possible puppy mill. I agree that dobies are indoor dogs. My dobie was utterly loyal and wanted to be ever watchful over me. Again, I thank all of you that post to educate buyers such as myself. Please, if you do have a recommendation for a reputable breeder on the east coast, share that information. It will be most appreciated.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Hi Katie! Welcome to DT. I recommend starting a new thread so you get more visibility and help :)

I would like to thank those of you that posted threads about Harraden's dobie den. I came across it and I found it very useful! I might have made a huge mistake without the important information posted in your discussions about this breeder. Between those threads and all of the red flags that went up regarding this breeder (reviews, etc), I didn't make a huge mistake. Thank God for freedom of speech and forums that help to educate unsuspecting buyers. I had a dobie for almost 12 years before he died of cancer. I would have been so heart broken to buy a puppy only to have problems or potentially just as bad, learn I contributed to a possible puppy mill. I agree that dobies are indoor dogs. My dobie was utterly loyal and wanted to be ever watchful over me. Again, I thank all of you that post to educate buyers such as myself. Please, if you do have a recommendation for a reputable breeder on the east coast, share that information. It will be most appreciated.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old Blood lines (Western)

In Europe people that do not work/show their dogs will not get very far.
Successful breeders do both. People that show also work and trial their dogs
to prove that their lines are capable of doing what the Dobermann was designed to do, working people attend show to prove the correct form and show off the beauty of their lines. Showing/trialing is a sport and not a business. Sorry to say that because of all the scandal in Germany and Italy
I stopped dog sport. However I do remember how it was and I truly miss the old breeders.

Working lines or show lines? There are a few of us on here that participate in sport. I have working/show line mix and a working line bitch. My current trial girl is a Covae vom Landgraf daughter (Kiro vom Bayern x Lussi von der Krillenburg) and her sire is Usa vom Eschenbruch. I like her very much. Very quick to learn and very biddable.

My retired girl is a Lussi von der Krillenburg daughter and her sire is Cara's Graaf Quinton, a NA show/Euro show line mix. Also VERY smart, but less biddable. She has more aggression than my current girl.[/QUOTE]

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
A belated welcome from Australia! :)

I also love the old lines and have been researching potential pups of those types of linebreeding.

I had an Ebo Vd Groot Maat (Fosc de los Valientes grandson)/Adlercrest Danzig great grandson who was every inch the best dobe I could ask for.

I'm currently looking at getting a pup from tight weyermuhle linebreeding. (In the hopes I can have another just as good.)

I'm no expert, just know what I had temperment and health wise with my old boy, but would love to hear more about the old lines and where they can still be found today. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

"a sport, and not a business"...............oh how I wish that were still true!

I look forward to reading more of your posts and hope you might start a thread on the subject of older Euro lines!

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zeblar

I see you are in the British Forces which means you are probably stationed
in the North of Germany. Are you taking advantage of trhe good sport dog clubs in your area. I know that the German Dobermann Club is having serious problems with their leadership at this time with changes comming.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I see you are in the British Forces which means you are probably stationed
in the North of Germany. Are you taking advantage of trhe good sport dog clubs in your area. I know that the German Dobermann Club is having serious problems with their leadership at this time with changes comming.
Honestly I would love to but I am so not great at speaking German so I don't know how we would be accepted into the German clubs! But I think Odin would do great in a sports dog group! And yes we are north west Germany! :)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Language issues

This is a big misconception of most European countries.
Most people under 50 can understand English. It has been taught in the schools for a very long time. English or French was required. It you try to speak German they will try to speak English. If they see you are stumbling in German they are more inclined to speak English. There is a lot of language skills neded at a schutzhund club. You have to make an effort.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ooosh well don't I feel bad being told off by the newbie! My apologies if I offended you and you are right it is down to me to make the effort! I will do some research into some local clubs.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Offended

Absoloutely no offence taken. Do you live off post? Do you ever go out to eat at restautants or take your family to village gatherings. Have you ever had problems spending your money? Service sometimes is poor in Germany
but you will find the working dog clubs friendly and supportive. Ge out and enjoy the country it's all there for you.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Honestly we don't have many issues with getting by over here! It's not very often we have to struggle through a conversation in German as most of the time they start talking to us in amazingly good English! Plus if we managed to get buy with odin's breeder who wasn't the best at speaking English I am sure we would do fine at a club! Thank you for your advice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts