Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New here have ?'s

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  blacksunshine 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here We just got our first Dobe. His name is zeus he will be 8 weeks tomorrow. We got him Saturday evening. So this is day 3 I guess and a rough one. I have another dog a Malti-poo. Very passive easy going dog. This new puppy wont leave him alone. chases him everywhere. When he gets close he slaps at him and sometimes tries to bite at him. I think he is playing his tail is wagging. I know they also need to find out who is the alpha but wow its getting old! I also have 3 boys ages 15,10, and 4. the puppy seems to really like the younger two but seems to be getting rough with the baby at times biting his leg and his but. Again with this I think he is playing too, but that needs to stop! He didn't seem agressive when we got him although I think he was the largest. I know we have alot of work ahead of us but what can I do to get him to lay of the other dog and make sure he know my 4 yr old isnt a chew toy. Do I need to worry he will hurt them? starting to worry!

#3 ·
Welcome to DT and welcome to the energetic world of Dobermans. I hope you did some research before committing as they are a working breed and as such will practice their skills when young until the are taught some manners. To help crate training gives everyone a rest. If the little dog keeps biting and snapping at the puppy it could lead to problems down the road.

Puppies have puppy teeth that are very sharp. So if you search there are at least 20 threads on how to work through this teething phase. It is important to start training now as a well heeled puppy is a pleasure and an out of control puppy is a real pain.

I would recommend first contacting your breeder as they should be able to help you and give you positive direction on how to work with the puppy and how to settle it into the family situation with a minimum of fuss. Good luck and keep us posted.

#5 ·
Please read up a bit on male/male aggression, since this is a very common issue with Dobes. I see from your post that you have two male dogs. Your puppy is too young to be showing aggression due to the dogs being the same sex, but it could become a major issue in a year's time.

#6 ·
Well he is just being a pup in the fact that he is playing with your other dog. Like other people have said when he bothers your 4yr old bring him to his toys. Also with having a lot of experience with dobe pups you wont intentionally hurt any of yall on purpose good luck , sounds like you got a frisky pup on your hands

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.