Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone from the PNW,

I'm an old time dobe owner and have been out of dobes for a long time. My avatar pic is of my beloved Shawnee who will never be replaced in my heart. She was an '83 model, ears done at Doc Tully's in LA. This was a long show crop then. A lot has changed in *cough* 30 years!

Shawnee didn't much care for the conformation ring (and I was 14 with no show mentor near by) so we did obedience, tracking and anything else we found fun. I fell in with a local obedience trainer who mentored me and taught me more about training dogs in a few years than I could ever have hoped to learn on my own.

I also had her crime partner "Rambo" a rescue from the kill shelter in Chatsworth. I haven't been able to own another dobe since losing her in 1995 so I've been riding and sometimes showing horses ever since. Some devastating health issues have forced me to give up the horses and I have decided I want another dobe. I plan to seriously show conformation and obedience too, of course since I love it so much.

So I have about 3 decades to catch up on and who's who of the dobie world. I'm in no hurry to find the right girl for me.

I've enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a lot already.

Thanks for taking the time,

Bev

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT. You are in a great location for some great breeders and you will have a lot of fun searching for your girl, I am certain. Foxfire, Starlaine, Wingate and Sherluck, I belive are all in the PNW. There are others, I am sure.

I don't know how much you kept up with Dobes over the past years, but I know that I came back to Dobes after being away for 20+ years, and the health status of the breed is pretty dismal. All of my previous Dobes died between 10-12 years of age, cancer and what the vet's termed heart failure. Now I am certain that those we lost to 'heart failure' were actually stricken with DCM. We never had issues that we were aware of, with vWD, Thyroid, Eyes, Liver, Kidneys...but all are an issue now. Back then we knew to check Hips and that was about it. Thus, if you haven't already, you will want to research and of course, be certain to purchase from a reputable breeder.

Again welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome to DT from Canada!!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Welcome, You are blessed to be in good hands with lots of knowledge around you. Your avator is a beauty. Let us know how your journey to another doberman is going.................:)

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know how much you kept up with Dobes over the past years, but I know that I came back to Dobes after being away for 20+ years, and the health status of the breed is pretty dismal.

Again welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search.
Thank you so much everyone. I am overwhelmed by the welcome and open and frank discussion here. I feel like I'm at "home" among people who share my rather strong opinions regarding breeding and raising/training any breed but ours in particular.

The health situation has been rather a shock. I knew there were some issues cropping up but not that the list was so long. :( I am happy to say that after a terrible bout of Parvo as a 12 week old baby, my girl was healthy until she was 12. It wasn't enough time but 12 x 12 years wouldn't have been enough time.

Thank you again everyone for your kind responses. I look forward to seeing you around the board and around the shows and trials.

Best,

Bev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts