Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....I would just offer a few more points about the breed. Dobermans are people dogs. They need to interact with their owners and the pack members. They are not very good at being alone all the time. Like a dog that stays in the back yard and the owner sporadically interacts with the dog. Dobermans want to be involved in everything you do, even if they are napping in the same room you are in. If you choose, you do not have to go to the bathroom alone anymore, they will accompany you there.

They are very high energy dogs. I have to atleast provide an hour of heavy playing, fetching or some sort of activity for them to release that energy. The more you play with the dog, the happier they will be. By providing lots of constructive playing, will reduce the chances of them finding other outlets to get rid of that energy, like eating the couch or your shoes.

Socialization and obedience training is a must. Once you establish what you expect out of your doberman, they will follow very willingly. They are somewhat easily to train, and once you find out what motivates them, it even gets easier. I find that this breed is always willing to please you.

You need to be a strong pack leader. Once this is established, they are very happy to follow you everywhere. You do not need to know everything about a doberman before you get one, but you must be willing to learn. A doberman is not for everyone, but they can be an awesome dog once you really understand the breed and how they need to fit in your pack.

Welcome to the forum once again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh my, I laughed out loud as well with some of the recent replies.
Those are really cute pics too, thank you.

I learned my lesson concerning backyard breeders. When we had first gotten our GSD, she had been kept in a barn stall with the mother dog and a sister pup for her first 12 weeks. It was amazing how much those 12 weeks affected her for the rest of her life. I spent alot of time, not to mention moolah, in private training sessions with her. She went from being too unpredictable to take out in public to being a much more relaxed adult dog that never learned to actually like strangers but she accepted them without growls or threatening behavior.

I was thinking of a rescue myself or a reputable breeder that would have a pet quality pup for sale. I do not care about registration papers but I do want a purebred. My boys are used to being knocked over, whether by their brother, the dog, or a goat. LOL, they are rough and tumble boys but they do know how to treat an animal and I have not had a problem with them in that area. (How they treat my furniture is another story).

I said two donkeys... hehe, well one is a donkey and I will post a picture if I can figure out how. One is technically a "hinny", a pony/donkey cross, but oh well thats close enough to being a donkey right?
We have a few different breeds of chickens roaming about. I know off hand of Rhode island reds, and hmm oh boy, I never said chicken breeds was my strong point. There are some grey flecked ones, some all white that run super fast. I call them roadrunners but I know thats not the right name!
You know, I dont really know. I collect their eggs but other than that, they are just here to eat horse poop, lol. My spaniel ignores them so they can walk directly across his path and he doesnt do anything. They would probably all run if he suddenly seemed like he wanted to eat them. I had a really mean rooster once that not only attacked the dogs, but attacked me as well as the horses. He was given away to a nutty man that wanted an attack rooster for his barn and he still has him. And no one has messed around in his barn since. I called him Diablo, lol.

Someone wanted riding lessons... if you are ever near us, then stop by. I have an old draft horse that is the calmest horse you would ever ride. I ride him for shorter trail rides. I adore that horse. I bought him at an auction where he was labeled for slaughter because of his age (he is in his 20's) but he is 100% sound and the vet says he could very well live another 10 years.
Now, try my husband's Belgian and you will have the ride of your life. She is spiteful, impatient, and very very strong. I rode her once, and that was enough for me. I like the more laid back and not wanting to kill you type horses.

Oh and I never did say where we live. We live about an hour north of Pittsburgh, PA. Very close to Kittanning, Pa.
Go Steelers!!!! Whoot!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmm, I think Kittanning is north of Pgh... well my husband is the one who can magically find his way to anywhere but me... I once got lost in these woods that adjoin our property and if it hadn't been for the dogs then, I might still be roaming around the woods, lol. At the time I just gave up and told them to go home, and gratefully, they did.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Ouch be careful with that "Go Steelers" stuff.... if my husband gets wind of that going on here, eekk, I could get banned from the forum!!!! LOL, I try to be a Steelers fan just to erk him! Gets his goat everytime!! Ya go Browns (halfhearted cheering) ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm a first time Dobe owner. My Bruno is just 5 months and I gotta tell ya I wouldn't have any other breed of dog! I would have never imagined myself with a Doberman. My sister own's two (now 3, she kept a puppy) and I was always scared to go to her house. Because I thought these "big bad" dogs would eat me....Shame on me for even THINKING that. I eventually got use to her male. He was so cuddly and adorable! Then she bred her female and I just couldn't resist getting a puppy :) (after a ton of reasearch) It has changed our life for sure. I have 2 sons. One is 6 and the other is 3 (4 next month). they've done VERY well with Bruno. I swear my 3yr old climbs all over Bruno and he just doesn't give a rats ass lol. He'll play with them, jump all over with them. He's very cautious. He LOVES to run. We bring him just about daily for a long run. He loves it.

Sounds like your family is a perfect home for a Dobe :) I agree with CC, they do become "bratty" with out their exercise LOL. ;)

Oh yes and protection. Bruno will protect us from EVERYTHING. He won't let ANYONE come with in 3ft of us when we're out (he also comes pretty much EVERYWHERE with us). Until he knows they are okay and not going to harm us. Which is stressful sometimes, because ppl's first reaction is "omg he's gonna eat me". But he's just letting them know, this is my family. Don't mess with em LOL

Anyway welcome again and good luck with your search! :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
LMB
Still can't figure out why you were scared to go to your sisters house. Everyone knows dobes only eat babies. even your youngest is probably too big and too tough ;-) lol

Wolfmoutart, welcome from here as well. I am on my second dobe. my first was a male, cody, who tragically died this past new years, and last weekend we picked up Apollo (see my gallery) from a rescue. I want to hear about 6 dobes, and I think I can safely say for all here - get some picts up! we love 'em!

How do your males get a long? I have finally convinced by husband that a herd of dobes is the way to go and you are the closest to that. He wants mostly males ( I think with me and two teenage girls there is way too much estrogen in the house for him). But I keep hearing about folks having trouble with more than one male. He keeps saying HE is the alpha male (Pah-llleeezzzze) and that all the doges will recognize that - he's even got a t shirt that says alpha male, just in case there was any confusion on the matter.

Anyway, you will really enjoy the folks, the doberkids, and the conversation in this forum. I can't wait to hear more about you and your brood.

cc

·
Registered
953 Posts
Codysmom said:
LMB
Still can't figure out why you were scared to go to your sisters house. Everyone knows dobes only eat babies. even your youngest is probably too big and too tough ;-) lol
lol--yeah my youngest is a big bully ;)

The reason I was scared to go. The honest to God truth. Is because I was very uneducated about Doberman's. I knew NOTHING about them. But judged them before knowing them. I was only going off what I had seen or heard on tv. It was a dumb reason, I will admit that. But having my children with me. I didn't want to risk anything. But we later did find out that he was harmless and so are Doberman's (of course we still don't go near ANY dog we don't know). But I'm very happy with my Dobe. I'm very glad that I was smart and did the research before saying no to a pup :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Heather,
Do you ride your donkeys? One of my goals this year is to ride Molly (my donkey). She's a sweet animal, she will let me do anything I want around her.

My Step-Dad says it is impossible. That's all I had to hear to decide I wanted to at least try riding her. I'm thinking I'll need a saddle. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one. Around here people want an arm and a leg for a beat-up old roping saddle.

My long-term goal is riding her to the mail-box and back, which is about 3/4 mile round trip.

She's never, as far as we know, been ridden, and I've never ridden a horse, so we're both kind of starting from scratch.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Just scrolling back through the thread and I see the pics that CoAl-s-Mom posted. I love the one with "I'm a Boob Man". Thats hilarious, I wish my Mom dresses me inshirts like that when I was an infant...That is so cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The donkey I have is only 2 years old so we are actually going to be working with him this spring on riding, but yes alot of people ride donkeys! We have had him saddled before so he is used to that. It helps alot if your donkey trusts you. We got ours when he was a year old and we were his fourth home. Just proves how so many people get donkeys when they are cute babies, and then either don't know what to do with them or just lose interest and out they go. He was so eager for human attention that it took very little work on our part. He was halter and lead trained within a week and he never kicked once the first time I saddled him up. Some say luck, I say a donkey's trust. Alot of people make the mistake of only bothering with their horses/donkeys when they want to ride and thats wrong. They need positive training and quality time to bond with you.
The hinny we have, pony/donkey cross, is what my oldest and sometimes middle son ride. She is safe, calm, and more level headed than most horses.

Donkeys usually have longer lifespans than horses and most are more sure-footed, perfect for rocky trails. Some really are stubborn but I have found that is usually when a situation needs to be looked at and then you realize it is often not stubbornness but just that the donkey does not know what you want it to do. They need training just like a horse in order to safely ride and I would suggest contacting a local horse trainer (who is familiar with training donkeys and mules as well) for you in order to work with your donkey.

Donkeys never forget! I swear, mine remembers everything. He is a clown as well and he sometimes picks an inopportune time to play. I have landed in slimy mud when he has come up behind me and pushed me with his head. I had to laugh though because he was actually laughing. It was the wierdest sound I have ever heard. Oh well, gotta love em.

They can be great protectors too. Jasper, our donkey, is the first to inspect any unknown person or thing in the pasture. He can be an instigator too and has been known to have all of the horses on the move when he wants to play and carry on.
If you have ever been in a field when suddenly a mischievous donkey nips the horses and then you have a sound like thunder around you and can feel the ground tembling, well it is an awesome feeling. What is even more amazing is when these creatures, who are so much bigger and more powerful and could squash you so easily, when they move aside for you and lower their huge heads for you to pet.

I once had an experience with a horse we were keeping for a friend for a few weeks and it was a very moody mare. After a week in a stall, she was about ready to tear it down so I thought I would let her loose in the pasture for awhile. I walked her around and she behaved fine. I let her off the lead and I continued to walk away from the barn, thinking I would hang around and watch her meet the other horses before heading back down to the house. Within moments, she decided to run straight at me and I can tell you when I realized what she was doing, I was nervous. There was no way I could reach the treeline before she would reach me. My feet were glued to the ground as I watched her furious charge. My horses and yes, the donkeys helped me that day. My big old draft horse actually stood in front of me, sideways, and the rest chased the mare back down to the barn where I locked her in (and thats where she stayed until her owner came to get her, lol). It was amazing to me. I will never know if she would have sidestepped me at the last moment or not as I have seen alot of horses do but I think my own herd realized I was in trouble.

Anyways, I have rambled on for awhile now. Good luck with your donkey though, and I would love to hear about its progress!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.