Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Heather
welcome to the forum. I hope you are expecting to get deluged with responses - cuz you will! Like Deacon's Mom said we are nuts about our dobes. I have two girls ages 12 and 14 and I felt more comfortable letting our dobe keep an eye on the kids while we went out than some of the babysitters you get who spend all the time on the phone and watching TV lol.

Between you and me, I'd have 3 dobes before I had 3 kids! I have had Labs and Newfies, but by far my doberboys have been sweeter and smarter (and shed less) and much better company than my other dogs. I will never have another breed, and I doubt my kids will either.

We just adopted a 5 year old and after 5 days, I completely trust him with my kids (course he is an exceptional doberboy :) ) With a male dog in the house you may want to consider a female dobe. Like any dog, their adult behaviour is a reflection of how they were raised and mostly how they have been treated.

A couple things: you mentioned you wanted a guard dog. A dobe, like a shephard, are the best passive protection you can have. Most folks who don't know them are scared to death of them for no reason other than the bad rep they got years ago.. That being said most dobes I know who have not had 'protection' training would have put themselves between trouble and their family.

the other thing, they are active dogs and NEED a lot of excercise. if they don't get it,they can get bratty. So you will need to be prepared to get the dog more excercise than just being let out in the back yard. If anyone in you house likes to jog or bike that would be perfect.

Again, you will NEVER find a better family pet than a dobe.
keep us posted on your decisions and please feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
TracyJo
:shh: "bratty" was my attempt to be diplomatic, I didn't think I should have told her that after a couple days of no excercise they are a pain in the @$$.:)

I guess I'll have to get out the thesaurus next time!

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi heather.
where are you all - maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I didn't notice. the DCPA websites lists breeders by state, but does not endorse any of the officially. Since folks here are from all over the place and have gotten their doberkids from all over the place it is likely that you will get some good feed back for someone in your neck of the woods.

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
LMB
Still can't figure out why you were scared to go to your sisters house. Everyone knows dobes only eat babies. even your youngest is probably too big and too tough ;-) lol

Wolfmoutart, welcome from here as well. I am on my second dobe. my first was a male, cody, who tragically died this past new years, and last weekend we picked up Apollo (see my gallery) from a rescue. I want to hear about 6 dobes, and I think I can safely say for all here - get some picts up! we love 'em!

How do your males get a long? I have finally convinced by husband that a herd of dobes is the way to go and you are the closest to that. He wants mostly males ( I think with me and two teenage girls there is way too much estrogen in the house for him). But I keep hearing about folks having trouble with more than one male. He keeps saying HE is the alpha male (Pah-llleeezzzze) and that all the doges will recognize that - he's even got a t shirt that says alpha male, just in case there was any confusion on the matter.

Anyway, you will really enjoy the folks, the doberkids, and the conversation in this forum. I can't wait to hear more about you and your brood.

cc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.