Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi Heather,
I hope you know what you're getting into. One Doberman, and you're hooked! I'm looking for a pup, myself. My Dobie, Mavis passed about three weeks ago, and I'm begining to see just how much work she did around here. I can't even get my other three dogs to chase rats, let alone bark at strangers. I have two Labs, and a Boxer/Dobie mix (I think). They're good dogs, but a Doberman is a partner.
You'll never find a better watch-dog; Mavis wasn't afraid of anything except the vacumn-cleaner and rattlesnakes. And I had to have her trained to avoid the snakes.
TWO donkeys? I have a donkey myself, and a couple of goats. No horses, though. I'm looking for some chickens this spring. Do you have any recomendations for a breed of chicken that can hold it's own around dogs? I'll train the dogs to respect the chickens, but if some are better than others, I'd be happy to know.
If you want to see a Dobie playing with a kid, check out "Video of Wryley and King Playing" in the Off Topic Chat. I don't know if it's the same video Tracy Jo steered you toward, but it will make you smile.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Heather,
Do you ride your donkeys? One of my goals this year is to ride Molly (my donkey). She's a sweet animal, she will let me do anything I want around her.

My Step-Dad says it is impossible. That's all I had to hear to decide I wanted to at least try riding her. I'm thinking I'll need a saddle. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one. Around here people want an arm and a leg for a beat-up old roping saddle.

My long-term goal is riding her to the mail-box and back, which is about 3/4 mile round trip.

She's never, as far as we know, been ridden, and I've never ridden a horse, so we're both kind of starting from scratch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.