Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new here and thought this would definitely be the right site to ask about dobermans. You see, I am a stay at home mom of three boys, aged 2 yrs, 4 yrs, and 8 yrs. We have a male english springer spaniel who loves everyone/everything and he is 5 years old now. We had a German Shepherd Dog that passed away in December and she was my "little girl". How I miss her. She was excellent with our children, though I did not trust her around other people's children with the exception of my close friend's son whom she saw often.

My husband and I have talked at length about purchasing/adopting a puppy or young dog. He would like to get a doberman. He has mentioned this throughout the years and we have friends who have two dobermans so we are familiar with their dogs. Their dogs play well with our children under supervision of course as with any dog.

We have horses, goats, free range chickens, turkeys, and a couple donkeys. We do have a chain-link fenced in yard that connects to the back door. We have the room, finances, and ability to add a second dog/pup into our home but I want to make sure it is a good match.

Our children are used to dogs and though they do not do anything intentionally harmful to a dog, I have seen them hug our dogs (current spaniel and deceased GSD) around the neck and lean against them while laying on the floor. Both of our dogs have always been ok with this and I never had a problem concerning them and our human children.

I have read about dobermans and have seen conflicting articles on whether or not a doberman is a suitable family pet for children aged young as mine. And so I ask the much more experienced and knowledgable people on this board if you think this is an able breed to blend into our family or if you think a doberman would not be suited well to our family?

I purchased our deceased GSD when she was 12 weeks old. We went through obedience together and often did "just for fun" agility trials in a relative's backyard. She adjusted to having my sons borne without any problems and adored them as much as they adored her. I think my children learned how to walk by holding onto her side when she would step forward. We adopted our spaniel dog over a year ago and he was previously housed with a family of four children so I expected he would be fine around ours and he is.

Any input would be appreciated. We want a "guard" dog breed as we value the protectiveness that our cuddly spaniel dog lacks, but we need, obviously, a dog that will be good with our children.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First i would like to say welcome and i am so sorry for your loss! We are all crazy about our doberman babies and i def. think you have come to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful!

Well, from personal experience I do not see a problem with getting a doberman. I have 3 nieces and a nephew ages 3-8 and Deacon adores them! He just sits there and lets them hug/lean/ and even play dress up all day long. Of course it is all in how the puppy is raised and that the children have some sort of respect for the dog. As with any dog if a child is pulling at it ears and irritating the crap out of it you might see it getting a little pissy. You sound like you know what you are doing though!! You mentioned how you watch your dog with children they did not know and your children with other dogs. I really think a dobie would be perfect!

Dobermans are the sweetest, funniest, most loyal dogs you will ever have in your family. I am just going to go ahead and warn you though, if you get a doberman you better get ready.... you are going to be as crazy about yours as we are ours! :huepfenju

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Mine LOVES KIDS! the only way she could ever hurt them is with some headbutts! lol she gets so excited that she swings her head around anyone! lol if they sit on the couch! haha but we just tell her "Settle" The kids I babysit and some other neigborhood kids will come over just to play with her in the yard! The kids love making Duchess do all the tricks she knows! and will run her through some of the agility jumps we have. We socialized her very well with children b.c when she was a puppy I brought her to the kids house when I babysat for 8 hours! Duchess wouldn't even notice if a child was pulling on her ears or causing a little discomfort! The kids like to run and chase her around the yard and play keep away with her toys and she doesnt mind she loves it! At the petstore the kids will sometimes want to pet her...so we will make her sit and we tell Duchess "KISS" and she will give them a little kiss on the face. lol I COMPLETELY trust Duchess with kids! Of course Im always with them when they play with her but I have no problem with leaving the room real quick and coming back to just see them continue to play. She would NEVER bite or even think about it! Just socialize socialize socialize when your dobe is a puppy you will never have to worry or have any doubts when it comes to dobes with Children. They are wonderful with them! Ive read all sorts of stories about how Dobes are like a babysitter! lol
Goodluck and Deacons mom is right! Once you have a Dobe you will ALWAYS want atleast one by your side for the rest of your life!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Heather
welcome to the forum. I hope you are expecting to get deluged with responses - cuz you will! Like Deacon's Mom said we are nuts about our dobes. I have two girls ages 12 and 14 and I felt more comfortable letting our dobe keep an eye on the kids while we went out than some of the babysitters you get who spend all the time on the phone and watching TV lol.

Between you and me, I'd have 3 dobes before I had 3 kids! I have had Labs and Newfies, but by far my doberboys have been sweeter and smarter (and shed less) and much better company than my other dogs. I will never have another breed, and I doubt my kids will either.

We just adopted a 5 year old and after 5 days, I completely trust him with my kids (course he is an exceptional doberboy :) ) With a male dog in the house you may want to consider a female dobe. Like any dog, their adult behaviour is a reflection of how they were raised and mostly how they have been treated.

A couple things: you mentioned you wanted a guard dog. A dobe, like a shephard, are the best passive protection you can have. Most folks who don't know them are scared to death of them for no reason other than the bad rep they got years ago.. That being said most dobes I know who have not had 'protection' training would have put themselves between trouble and their family.

the other thing, they are active dogs and NEED a lot of excercise. if they don't get it,they can get bratty. So you will need to be prepared to get the dog more excercise than just being let out in the back yard. If anyone in you house likes to jog or bike that would be perfect.

Again, you will NEVER find a better family pet than a dobe.
keep us posted on your decisions and please feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Firstly welcome to dobermantalk,as you can see we are not very keen on dobes here(hehe)i have to say that a dobe raised amongst kids would be safer than most other breeds my current crop have been amongst kids aged between 0 and 12 never had a hint of problems.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome. Unlike you I actualy never owned a dog or even a pet. My sister and her 2 year old son live with me and the first dog I ever got was a dobe. My 2 year old nephew was afraid of dogs before I got Princi but now loves them. Princi has just turned 12 months and never even hinted on hurting anyone, she plays all day with my nephew and has already sarted protecting the whole family especially the 2 year old. Like someone said before, socialize, socialize, socialize and then socialize some more. You will love your dobie and he/she will love you 10times more....

Naveen

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
First I want to welcome you to the best forum in the world. I bet you have already found a wealth of information here. We are all nutty about dobermans! You will also find lots of support here also.
I got my first doberman Lady a red female back in 1973. She was a beautiful gal. She had one litter when our son was just a tot. While she was pregnant he would lay all over her and chew on her legs. When she would get tired of him, she would just get up and move away. When she had her puppies, we had no problem with her when our son want to see the puppies and wanted to give her kisses. It all comes down to training and trust like everyone has been saying. Dobermans are the best family dog in the world! and I also agree that a female would be the best for your family since you already have a male. by the way, I am the proud owner of 4 Dobemans 1 male and 3 females!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Heather and welcome to the forum. :)

My son is now 24 and was raised with our first dobe, Dionne, they were joined at the hip until she passed. As he was my first child, I was quite inexperienced as a parent, so I probably put more trust into Dionne that I should. But, luckily for me she was fantastic. We had quite a lot of bush around our house in those days, and I would happily allow Karl as a wee youngster play in the sandpit alone as long as Dionne was with him. I was never too far away, but she would never have allowed anyone near him, or let him get into any strife.

I'd agree with Codysmom, probably would be easier to go for a female. You're probably busy enough with the kids, you don't want to be adding to your workload, two adult males grumbling over pack leadership!!

Good luck with your search, we look forward to hearing what decision you make - with follow up pics as well. :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hi Heather,
Welcome to dobermantalk. I agree with everything that has been said so far. Dobermans are great with kids, are high energy and are all around awesome dogs. I had to laugh when I read CC say that they can get "bratty" if they don't get enough excercise - that is the understatment of the year! LOL I jog with mine almost daily but leave her home for my long runs; on those days she can be a royal pain! But she is used to jogging daily. Many members here have perfectly content Dobes that get plenty of excercise running with their pack mates and kids in the back yard.
Here is a link to a short video clip that perfectly demonstrates how great Dobes are with kids:
http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=7B6CCC49158A0413

It is Tom's (a member here) dog King with his nephew Wryley.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
TracyJo
:shh: "bratty" was my attempt to be diplomatic, I didn't think I should have told her that after a couple days of no excercise they are a pain in the @$$.:)

I guess I'll have to get out the thesaurus next time!

cc

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I am sorry for your loss of your previous boy. You have gotten great feedback, so I'll just add in also, that raised with kids, this breed is phenomenal :) My girl was raised with my two stepsons, who were 11 & 13 when we got Lexus, and I supervised her with them of course, but for the most part just let them "have at" her. Now she can be hugged, layed on, hung on, she lets the kids play with her lips and make stupid faces on her (love kids.... remind me to get more dogs instead of kids in the future :) ) , nothing fazes her, and she will just lay there with a sleepy look on her face when they play with her.
As for protection, I never once worked on making her territorial or protective, in fact we attended several OB classes for socialization, and did a lot of out and about work to social. But woe to the person who steps foot in our house without our consent. She shown on a few occasions that it just won't be tolerated. It's just natural that they look out for their people.

So best of luck and feel free to throw any more questions at us.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Hello Heather and welcome! (I am new too) I am also a new doberman owner. My little guy was 13 weeks yesterday.

Like I said, this is MY first doberman, but I did learn to walk....holding on to one! When I was born my grandmothers doberman Autumn was about a year old. I absolutly LOVED that dog, and still to this day have pictures of me and her hanging in my house. I can tell you this... A well bred, well socialized doberman will be your childrens best friend, and BEST protector. Autumn used to follow me all over the house, it was almost as if she felt responsibility for me.

In my pesonal opinion, dobermans have gotten a bad rap... They are just like any other dog, if left tied to the fence, unsocialized and untrained, they can be unpredictable. But then again.....so can a chihuahua. That being said, there are tons of great websites and books to read up on, to make sure that you are making the right decision. (If you want, I can send you tons of links.) The books can get expensive...I spent alot of time in books a million just reading and drinking coffee. Haha. Also, before you buy...there is a wealth of information on this website about choosing the right breeder and the right puppy for you...

Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone! How nice it is to have such a warm greeting here. All of your dobermans are beautiful. They are easy to look at, thats for sure.

I actually prefer a dog with high energy rather than one that can't keep up with us. We are usually on the move and my GSD frequently came along on trail rides so perhaps that is a possibility for a new pup as well. I know the pup would be socialized with a capital S because we took our dogs everywhere, and that includes camping trips.

When I said a "guard" dog breed, I meant one that has a natural protectiveness for its home and family. I miss having that bark alarm when someone pulls into our driveway, as well as company on the often moon lit treks up to the barn. Our GSD did the usual bark bark bark alarm until I invited the person in then she would lay quietly in the corner and watch them. She never really enjoyed unknown people but she would accept those she knew I let in the house. Our spaniel dog would invite even a burglar in as much as he loves everyone.

We were leaning towards a female mainly because I have read it is usually better to have two dogs of opposing gender. To be honest, I have not even started a search for a pup yet and will probably wait to seriously look this coming summer. Spring time is really busy with the horses and I do not think I would want to add a pup then just because I would have less time to work with house-breaking and other training. I will be crate-training and my spaniel dog still uses the crate, though our GSD did not need hers once she was a couple years old. Our goofy spaniel dog chews, he may have a touch of seperation anxiety.

I have only heard him growl at another dog one time in the year we have had him and that was when my s-i-l's dalmation growled at me. Her dal was poorly socialized when younger and often growls out of fear towards other people (not the safest dog to be around but she is very responsible with him and he has made progress with her). Other than that, I have taken him to a busy dog park and he has come along on trail rides with other riders' dogs without any problems. I do not foresee any problem concerning him and the pending new pup. Our GSD was dominant over him and he never challenged that.

If anyone knows if a reputable breeder/rescue near us then please let me know. My husband prefers a black doberman though I have no preference. Like I said, I want to seriously search come this summer once the horses' spring training is completed. I will be sure to keep everyone updated and you can be certain I will have more questions as our search goes on.

Thank you to everyone again!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
your home and outings sound like a Dobermans dream home! lol Im so excited for you! You will provide a great home! What state ....or country LOL are you from...here you never know...japan...india...Europe...
are you looking to get a dobe from a breeder when your ready or from a rescue?
You might want to start researching so that you are familiar with breeders or rescues that are possibilities...
When we got Duchess we were lucky that we know someone that shows dogs and they recommended someone with great dobes right around where we live and she just so happend to JUST have a litter...perfect timing...perfect location...wonderful dogs.

I WISH I COULD HAVE HORSES! lol My boyfriend and I want to take Horseback riding lessons in the spring! lol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi heather.
where are you all - maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I didn't notice. the DCPA websites lists breeders by state, but does not endorse any of the officially. Since folks here are from all over the place and have gotten their doberkids from all over the place it is likely that you will get some good feed back for someone in your neck of the woods.

cc

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi Heather,
I hope you know what you're getting into. One Doberman, and you're hooked! I'm looking for a pup, myself. My Dobie, Mavis passed about three weeks ago, and I'm begining to see just how much work she did around here. I can't even get my other three dogs to chase rats, let alone bark at strangers. I have two Labs, and a Boxer/Dobie mix (I think). They're good dogs, but a Doberman is a partner.
You'll never find a better watch-dog; Mavis wasn't afraid of anything except the vacumn-cleaner and rattlesnakes. And I had to have her trained to avoid the snakes.
TWO donkeys? I have a donkey myself, and a couple of goats. No horses, though. I'm looking for some chickens this spring. Do you have any recomendations for a breed of chicken that can hold it's own around dogs? I'll train the dogs to respect the chickens, but if some are better than others, I'd be happy to know.
If you want to see a Dobie playing with a kid, check out "Video of Wryley and King Playing" in the Off Topic Chat. I don't know if it's the same video Tracy Jo steered you toward, but it will make you smile.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Welcome Heather,
I have a 4 yr old daughter, a 16 month old son and a 6 yr old Doberman.
Cole has never given me any reason to worry about his interactions with my kids. He is absolutley wonderful with them.
I do teach my kids to respect him and Cole to respect the kids. He had his ear pulled, stepped on. layed on, my daughter even stuck her finger up his butt one time and he didn't even flinch.
He loves kids. He really thinks he's hit the jackpot when the neighbor kids come by to play.
I socialized him alot when he was a pup to a bunch of different kids and made them all good experiences for him so he would remember that.
Rescue would be a good option since they know the temperment of their dogs, they would be able to tell you which ones would fit into your family.
If you decide to go with a breeder be sure to bookmark this site:
http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm
You don't want to end up with a poorly bred Doberman and have nightmares.
Here are some pictures to demonstrate just how wonderful they can be.
The first one is when Cole was quite pudgy and it's my daughter under him when she was about 8 months old.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Love the yellow top on the big man in the second to last picture....he tells it like it is....lol

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
MrDesi said:
Love the yellow top on the big man in the second to last picture....he tells it like it is....lol

It's humor for a breastfed baby. He was only 10 months in that picture. He's now 16 months and hasn't weaned yet. Guess I have to buy him a bigger shirt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts