Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you saw I have been visiting the pound recently. Been looking for a dobie mix and they are hard to find here. Looking at all the rott mixes hoping the pound got it wrong.
I was getting desperate--I read every other day someone else is getting or has gotten a puppy. I looked and decided against the Brazilian Mastiff.
I talked to the HS girl to see what they charged and I am leaving and guess what!!! Walking past the discount pen (didn't know they had one) on the way to the car and stopped to pet the dogs. This one never came to the fence and was walking away, but stopped to look back. Is that a dobie head? Then I notice her body, very tall and slender. How in the heck have I missed seeing this her before? She must have just been laying down in the shade. She was so bored with the place and must have given up on getting a home.
I go back to HS lady and ask about her. Been there for three months and I am the first person to even look at her. They start with "you will save a life with her for sure". Guarenteed to get along with my old dog. "Gets along with everything," they say. I asked how much (knowing I'm gonna get her no matter) and she says $10.00. All shots done in Sept before old people brought her in at age 8 mo and spayed there.
She is adorable!!! It took an hour and a half in the house before she began to realize just exactly what had happened. Then she sat in front of the storm door to watch for what might decide to come our way
She is black with white chest from breastbone down under chest. Few white hairs on toes. About 24 inches tall and pretty square. Very calm personality. But whole body wags when you pet her, buries head in your lap. Already bought her a collar and 40# of Canidae All Life Stages(my old one is on old age formula), vet appointment Friday.
She gets along great with Stormy and, better yet, she has Stormy helping her silently treeing squirrels (something I've never seen her do) Standing on that tree trunk just daring those squirrels to come down. Stormy got more excercise yesterday than in the last year altogether.
Her name is Hope.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
WHAT A HAPPY ENDING for you both! I am so glad that you found just what you were looking for and that she found you! It sounds like it was meant to be :D Congrats to you!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hey Congratulations Linda H. on your new addition! And many blessings to you for adopting this precious girl.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww that is awesome! and so sweet like things were just meant to be :) we definately need pictures of our new little hope :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both.:3dbiggrin
I know it will be a while before she starts to show all her personality, but everything really looks great now. I would like her to be a watch dog, but to stare with a few barks. Hee hee, not asking for much am I. But she doesn't bark at the squirrels.
She looks so wonderful running in the back yard. Though, she was in a large pen, she couldn't run and stretch her legs.
I tried not to instantly fall in love, so made it 24 hours before I was lost.
She has the rose ears like a english bulldog.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LapDog said:
awww that is awesome! and so sweet like things were just meant to be :) we definately need pictures of our new little hope :)
Thank you Lapdog. Will get some pics soon, got a friend going to do it.
Will know her weight fri and will see how tall she is again later. She was skittish of the yard stick Mon nite, but should calm down the more she trusts me.
The HS people were more excited than me, but my excitement grows more by the day. I had a pretty massive attack yesterday when I bought the collar and food. My orginal plan was to feed what I had and collar later after I made up my mind for sure.:dancing_b

·
Registered
986 Posts
True Hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings.
--William Shakespeare (King Richard)

In all pleasure Hope is a considerable part.
--Samuel Johnson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
--Emily Dickenson

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Congrats. I hopeshe works out for you. hehe. Pictures for sure please.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love 'em, wonderful quotes, Sooz, made me tear up.

And yes, Okie-dobie, that is what I was thinking when she was sitting in front of the storm door looking for something to guard against. At least that is what she looked like she was doing. Only she knows, at this point.
But that is what I was thinking and the name stuck in my head and I couldn't even think of anything else.

Pics soon!!!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Bless you for taking her in and giving her HOPE,I really HOPE everything works out for HOPE and she becomes a perfect companion.I HOPE got enough HOPEs in this thread,and while I'm here may i wish you a Very HOPEy Christmas :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Congrats on the new pup! That is wonderful. I look forward to seeing pics of her. :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What a wonderful Chirstmas present for both of you! It's funny that when you go to get a rescue you walk in thinking you are going to get a dog that needs you, then once you get the dog home, you realize just you much YOU needed the dog.

Molly and apollo (my two rescues) and I all say thank you and God bless for taking in sweet Hope.

cc

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone.
She's very sensitive like a dobe. Found that out by speaking too loudly to her. I was just trying to get her attention.
When Stormy needs to go out she wakes me up by sticking her nose in my ear, on my cheek and blowing or licking, what ever it takes. I woke up this morning with Hopes' nose in my ear and a big lick on the cheek. I just love discovering what a new dog is all about.
And yes, I did want one for my Christmas present!!! :cool2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts