Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned many times lately, the weather here is horrible!! Poor Lexus can't get any zoomies out! Fortunately she is pretty much a model house-prisoner, except maybe making a point to harass the other two dogs a little too much.

Anyway, new game (and a little training!) in the making! I've always played and hid behind a door and she would look for me now and then, but last night we upped the stakes a little. I kept her in a sit stay in the kitchen and hid from her with a cookie with hubby watching. She was a woman on a mission! We played for a half hour! After it was all over, she plopped down and fell asleep! I thought I had the perfect hiding spot in the bathroom with the shower curtain closed, but the cat kept meowing at me and gave it away! I had doberman charging into the shower stall!

Funny part was, hubby wanted to hide and have her find him, so sit/stay in the kitchen, I stood in the dining room to make sure she stayed till he was ready, then he called her and I said "Lexy Find Daddy" the dog made a beeline to me! She just sat in front of me with this look like "Mom you're going to have to try harder than that to hide if you want this to be fun" Refused to look for him, and showed no interest. Poor Tom.... He just wanted to play too!

Now the thing is I'm not a very good hider, I keep giggling when she will walk near me and I can see her and she just FREEZES, she's so intent on picking up any little sound, it just cracks me up, and she looks so franticly, looking every which way!

Next step, we're going to start hiding and rewarding the finding of objects! As I'm running out of places to hide!

·
Registered
288 Posts
thats so cool I once did something like that with another dobe I had only she scented me out she was so going on the scent she didn't see me till she was on me.lol their all so intense.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do that with my dogs. I will even show them my keys, hide them,and say "find it" and help them find them in the beginning---then the game gets harder, and they are on their own. They will find them, though, if there is a treat reward waiting!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We do that with Raven. she love hid and seek! and she is really good at it. I have take totally stranger to her (friends that come over once) or their child, let her smell them, then take her to another room behind closed doors, then I talk to her in a loud voice so that she is paying attention to me and not the other sounds in the house. then when the person is hid, we have Raven go find who is missing. she will smell everyone in the room and then make a beeline to find who is missing. She is Great at it! Finds the missing person everytime within a couple of minutes no matter how had they have hid. I would have loved to train her in Search and Rescue but with her have VwD there would be no way. What a great game!! have fun at it!!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Thats a great game, my girl loves it too....Try it with the lights off. It also helps builds a stronger recall. You call them and they come and find you, so when you do a recall, its the same thing as saying come find me. That game helped doing out-of-sight recalls, especially when she had to find me in a crowd of people...

·
Registered
133 Posts
you should try tracking outside when the weather gets nice again. i was planning on working with Apollo in hopes that it might help calm him down a little. Like Lexus, he also loves hide and seek, and he always has his nose to the ground so I figure why not?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's cool, guys I'll try it in the dark Kratty:) Can't wait to move to the bigger house, I'm running out of places to hide here!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wondered what you guys got up to with your weather, now I know! What a great idea, I've never thought to try that. We usually do the easy hide a toy and seek it out game, which does get a little boring for Jeddah as I'm not that adventurous with my hiding spots.

Gracie's_Mom said:
Hmm. Hide and seek. Gracie and I might have to try it. Come on Grace get up we have a game to play!! :)
*nudge, nudge* Yoohoo, Gracie....wake up, Mummy wants to play.:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
My nephew and king play hide and seek aswell. I havent tried the sit/stay yet, i just hold him because my nephew wants me to cover his eyes...lol. Anyway, King absolutely LOVES it. He will search with sooooo mcuh energy, going nuts to try and find him. He will sniff, listen to sounds, move stuff with his nose, and once he finds him, he will lick wryley(my nephew) for a bit, then run back to me with his tongue out and a big smile saying, "look dad, i found him". He loves when you call him a good boy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts