Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and would love some help finding a vet that will crop my new baby's ears. If I need to post this in a different section please let me know.
He is 6 weeks old. I picked him up on Friday, took him to our local vet yesterday but no one in this area will crop his ears. (no one good anyway). I am kinda in the middle of nowhere (near Kentucky lake) but can travel. Thanks!

I am going to try and post a pic of my little one with my husband if I can figure out how. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,704 Posts
Welcome to DT! Shame on the breeder for selling you a puppy way too young and not having the ears cropped for you! What's done is done, but be advised it may take some extra effort on your part to raise this puppy since he was taken from his litter mates much too early. The go to vet in the Midwest is Dr Ann Midgarden in Ohio. She is an expert and it will be well worth the drive.

·
Extraordimary
5,057 Posts
I don't know where you are in west KY. When I lived near Glasgow, KY (south KY, near Bowling Green) this is the vet that I went to: About - Veterinary Medical Center - Glasgow, KY There was a vet there that cropped. HOWEVER, I did not have a litter when I lived in KY for a short time, and I never personally saw any puppies that they cropped, to my knowledge. If I still lived there now, I would probably travel to Dr. Midgarten, personally, unless I had seen some crops that I liked from my own vet where I lived.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to DT! Shame on the breeder for selling you a puppy way too young and not having the ears cropped for you! What's done is done, but be advised it may take some extra effort on your part to raise this puppy since he was taken from his litter mates much too early. The go to vet in the Midwest is Dr Ann Midgarden in Ohio. She is an expert and it will be well worth the drive.

Thank you for the help. I definitely plan on working hard to socialize and train him. He was actually the only survivor of his litter. i was told that his litter mates all died within the first 2 weeks. He has spent the last 4 wks just him and mom. That's why we took him to the vet so quickly. But our vet gave him a clear bill of health thank goodness!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where you are in west KY. When I lived near Glasgow, KY (south KY, near Bowling Green) this is the vet that I went to: About - Veterinary Medical Center - Glasgow, KY There was a vet there that cropped. HOWEVER, I did not have a litter when I lived in KY for a short time, and I never personally saw any puppies that they cropped, to my knowledge. If I still lived there now, I would probably travel to Dr. Midgarten, personally, unless I had seen some crops that I liked from my own vet where I lived.

Thank you. Glasgow is only 2.5 hrs away. Dr Midgarden is 7hrs away but I do want to make sure he sees the best. I am near Paducah KY so hopefully I can find someone reputable within 4-5hrs. But if not, i guess I am taking a road trip. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,847 Posts
Thank you. Glasgow is only 2.5 hrs away. Dr Midgarden is 7hrs away but I do want to make sure he sees the best. I am near Paducah KY so hopefully I can find someone reputable within 4-5hrs. But if not, i guess I am taking a road trip. :)
Frankly, I'd call Dr. Midgarden now and just plan on the road trip - you'll be looking at those ears for hopefully a decade, and it's worth one road trip to make sure they are done right. Most good cropping vets are booked up weeks in advance, and ideally ears should be cropped by 8-9 weeks old, so call now :)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Big Lil pup
7,330 Posts
Hi actrish and welcome to DT from the Pacific NW.

Well... Your situation with your new pup is unusual to say the least. As others have pointed out, your little guy will actually need some extra attention as a result of not having sibs since 2 weeks old and being separated from his mom at 6 weeks.

Best of luck.
Your pup sure is cute.

John
Portland OR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts