Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! My name is Joey. My wife and I have been looking into getting a new dog for some time now. We each put together lists of attributes that we wanted from a dog, we put the lists together, and we believe that a doberman would best fit our needs!

A little about us... I'm in the Army, currently serving in Afghanistan and due home in June. My wife is with child and due in September. We also have a 8yo boy. What I would like from my next dog is a protector and a running buddy. My wife wants a dog that can protect her while I am away at training or while I am deployed. I've owned an English Bulldog in the past, my wife a rottwieler. We had one dog together, an adpoted, mixed schauser of sorts which was sadly hit by a car. Also of note is that my best friend in East Tennessee is a K-9 trainer and currently works for a police department in his home town. He is willing to train the new dog in obediance and protection. He also has small children and three other dogs (chiuaua, huskie, and a lab which is his K-9). I think that would help with socialization.

I'm currently reading reviews about Swift Run and Masaya. They both apear to be on the up and up. I'm open to suggestions as far as breeders. I'm not in a big rush as I'm not looking to take on a dog until the fall. Thanks!!!

Joey

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Welcome from Australia :)

Is your wife really aware of what she's letting herself in for having to care for a new babe and a dobe pup on her own? ....dobes can be a handful, needing a lot of exercise and attention or they can get destructive. Whilst I believe it could be done....be realistic about it too...it will be a HUGE challenge. Rescuing an adult dobe could be good solution!

Also be aware that dobes are very quick to work out who they can take advantage of (target the softies), so it's always better for both of you to be involved in the training, rather than sending it off to be trained. (Dog training is more about training the humans than the dog anyway).

Given your situation, rescuing an adult dobe sounds like a really good fit. (as an adult will be able to run with you straight away, but you'd have to wait until a pup has finished growing). A reputable rescue will match the right dobe for you.

A working line dobe is quite different to rotties...between it, a new baby, and you being away...your wife could end up grey and climbing the walls before her time! :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome!!! The job I'm taking (within the Army) is a teaching job, so once I get home I won't be deploying for the next three years or so.

I am not closed to the idea of a rescue doberman. If anyone has any recommendations for a dobie rescue, I'm all ears! I have looking into this site. It's in North Carolina, where my new job will be.

Doberman Rescue of North Carolina

Edit: Looking more into their website, they don't place rescues into military homes. :-(

My wife is a little concerned about having a large dog we aren't used to around a small baby. A rescue dobie would have to have a history of being socialized with babies/children and a calm demeanor before I would consider it.

You do make a good point about the training, about how it's more about training the human than the dog. :)

Thanks again for the welcome!!!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) Good luck in your search.

I'd have to agree with above; I don't think I could handle a baby and puppy training at one time, and I think the owners should be the trainers.

I would try all the rescues, they each have different policies and I'm sure you'll be able to find one which will allow army housing. Breed specific rescues are excellent at placing dogs into the right homes for their personalities :) I'm not sure about over there, but we get a fair few dogs given up due to moving home, marriage break ups ect that have grown up around children and get abandoned through no fault of their own.

Also, on the protection side of things I'm not an expert but I believe dogs trained in protection take alot of work and dedication. Daily training by experts and a commitment to the sport. A dobe will naturally be a deterant and will naturally guard. Just IMO :)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT! Does your trainer friend have any experience training Dobermans? What methods does he use ? Reason I ask is because I would think an actual protection trained dog would be a bit of a liability, than say a dog trained in the sport of schutzhund. Dobes are personal protection dogs and instinctively protective by nature. The alertness generally comes natural to these guys.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome to DT! Does your trainer friend have any experience training Dobermans? What methods does he use ?
To my knowledge he has not trained a doberman, but I can't speak with certainty. With his lab, he uses a ball reward system.

Edit: If they are as protective as you say naturally, then perhaps formal protective training wouldn't be required? I did see one of our military dog handlers who taught his shepherd an interesting trick. The handler would move his hand as if it were a puppet talking, and the dog would bark like crazy until the handle instructed the dog to stop. He said it was the dog's "talk s***" command.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking into both a rescue and a puppy. I found what seems to be a fairly good rescue over in New Orleans, Gulf Coast Doberman Rescue. I also have been talking with a reputable breeder about a litter that she has due soon. I'm still open to advise going one way or the other.

The up sides of the rescue are there, such as the lower cost, helping a dog in need, having my running buddy ready to go instead of waiting for him to get older. The big down side for me is not knowing how the dog was raised and having small children. I want a dog that eases my peace of mind, not one that I have to worry about.

The up sides to a puppy are that the dog can be raised in our home and be comfortable with our children. That puts me at ease about having a large dog in the home with small children. The down side is the cost, but I'm willing to pay.

The puppies will be ready in early to mid June. My question is this. I have three months from the time I would get the puppy until the baby is due. So how far along could a Doberman be, training-wise, at five months old? Is it resonable to think that it should be house broken and have basic obediance down? Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've been talking with a reputable dealer. She's been great dealing with all my questions. And most importantly, my wife agreed to the pup after looking into the breeder. I submitted my application. Just waiting now. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
You also need to know where you will be living. Last I remember, military bases have now outlawed certain breeds in their housing.:rolleyesww: And the Dobe is on the hit list..go figure.

My first girl was potty trained within the first month, but my second girl, would have the occasional accident and I didnt call her "Completely potty trained" until she was 1 yr old. I think every dog is different.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
To my knowledge he has not trained a doberman, but I can't speak with certainty. With his lab, he uses a ball reward system.

Edit: If they are as protective as you say naturally, then perhaps formal protective training wouldn't be required? I did see one of our military dog handlers who taught his shepherd an interesting trick. The handler would move his hand as if it were a puppet talking, and the dog would bark like crazy until the handle instructed the dog to stop. He said it was the dog's "talk s***" command.
It depends on what you want. Do you have the time, money, and dedication to invest into training a dog for serious protection? Not all dogs are cut out for it either. If you want a dog that will seriously bite/attack/maul for a fact, then you're looking into the tens of thousands for a hardcore dog trained for such. If you just want a companion and deterrent, then you won't have to do much. My Dobe is from a show line breeder, he is naturally alert, observant, and will growl/bark. Here is a video of him "on guard" at around 7 months. Much different personality than say, my siberian husky who is lollygagging around in the video.

Doberman Puppy On Guard - YouTube

Now, can I count on my dobe to actually bite and attack someone if put under pressure in a serious situation? I wouldn't put 100% faith in that.

I will tell you to really understand what you will be getting into with a working breed puppy and a brand new baby and trying to raise them at the same time. I am young, very active, with a lot of energy, and raising my dobe puppy has been like a full time job. I personally couldn't imagine the stress of juggling a dobe puppy and a new baby. I got my doberman at 5 months and he was already house and crate trained from the breeder and came with some manners, I never had to deal with a mouthy puppy either..he has never once tried to chew on me. He was also already used to a dremel and ear posting thanks to the breeder. I personally would recommend an adult rescue for your sanity, but if you do choose to go the puppy route, make sure you have a lot of support from your breeder and you have all your ducks in a row, and are well-read up on raising a puppy and a baby.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome from VA! My family lives in NC it's a beautiful place.

I'm glad you are doing your research I had to chime in though because I am a full time nanny and have a 18 week old puppy and I will say it is like having two full time jobs. He is WAY more work then my lab puppy was. Hes like the energizer bunny and requires A LOT. I understand wanting a puppy to raise with your kids but really make sure your wife is okay with it. There are days I want to pull my hair out because I go from having a baby, a 4 year old and an 8 year old to my crazy, energetic pup who just wants to spend time with his mom and the kids aren't even mine! I can't imagine having a newborn and a dobie puppy at the same time. I've had to work very hard with my patience with the puppy because usually by the end of the day I'm exhausted not to mention waking up in the middle of the night with the pup and the baby would be a lot. Also if your Puppy is vocal like mine is the baby won't be sleeping much plus the teething puppies go through and the constant need for excersise and mental stimulation. It would honestly be like having two newborns. One just has 4 legs and fur. I'm sure it's possible just be careful and make sure you know what you're getting into. Why don't you look into a 1 year old dog? Still a puppy and could be trained still to be great with kids :) btw I say this all kindly and from personal experience that it is a lot of work.

Also make sure you check that every place you may end up will allow dobermans. I know a lot of bases have been really harsh on their breed banning rules and I've seen a lot of people have to give up their dogs because of it.

Good luck with you're search! Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You also need to know where you will be living. Last I remember, military bases have now outlawed certain breeds in their housing.:rolleyesww: And the Dobe is on the hit list..go figure.
I currently live off base. Where I am right now, we don't even have on base housing. And where I'm headed, I already have a home there with a fairly large fenced in back yard.

And as far as training goes, they have a Schutzhund club there. :nicejob:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome from Virginia - best of luck in your search!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome! When are you planning on getting a Doberman puppy? It WILL be hectic with a baby on the way.
The puppy will be ready for pick up in early June. Which is great, because that's when I get back home. So I'll have a little over three months to work with the pup prior to the baby's arrival. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
The puppy will be ready for pick up in early June. Which is great, because that's when I get back home. So I'll have a little over three months to work with the pup prior to the baby's arrival. :)
From my understanding, a Doberman puppy will require a lot of attention, exercise, and training until it is at least a year old. If you are looking at working lines, it will have even more drive and need even more. Just thinking it might not be the best timing for your family and potential new puppy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From my understanding, a Doberman puppy will require a lot of attention, exercise, and training until it is at least a year old. If you are looking at working lines, it will have even more drive and need even more. Just thinking it might not be the best timing for your family and potential new puppy.
Noted. :) I'm always up for the challenge. What types of excercises do you recommend for a pup? I realize while it's a pup, it won't be able to be my running buddy. Aside from training, playing fetch, and walks, what do you recommend for exercise? How old do you think he'll be before he might be ready for a run, assuming I start him off slow and short? Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a good awareness of what your in for and the pups inability to not take off jogging with ya ! ;)

I will let the more experience people give ya ideas on when you might be able to start. And yep, your right, just like any other athelete, start slow and short and slowly work up in intervals

1 - 20 of 28 Posts