Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just registered on this forum, although I have been reading it for over a year now. My husband and I live in Northern California with our four children. We had two Dobermans, a male and a female - half siblings, that we just recently lost to advanced stage liver disease at just five years old. We lost our male in February and then his sister three months later in May. It was heartbreaking to have lost not just one, but both of my best friends.

I said that I would never get another Doberman, with all of the health issues. But here I am, seven months later, knowing that I want another Dobe!

I have been researching for the past few months, trying to find some fairly local breeders that I can get to know. I'm looking more toward European lines. Something a little heavier with bigger bone. Our last two were definitely on the small side.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend a trustworthy breeder around the Northern California area with healthy dogs and with bigger bone, please let me know. We are in no rush. I'd like to wait till spring 2012 at the earliest.

Thanks!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Welcome to DT. Very sorry for your loss. Can't imagine your heartbreak.

Incredible Dobermans is located in NorCal: Home

Here are a few other CA breeders:

Adlercrest
Irongate
vom Landgraf
Montwood/Arista
von Luka Dobermanns

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
if "heavier" boned Euro dogs are what you're interested in, your best bet in Northern California would be Incredible-- or Adlercrest in Southern California.

working bred Dobes are typically on the smaller side, sometimes more so than their NA show counterparts so that is something to keep in mind. the Euro dogs you're thinking of aren't bred specifically for work. no offense to the prior mentioned breeders.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Welcome, and I'm so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking to lose both in such a short time.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

sorry for the loss of your two, may they rest in peace.

Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog!

If you get the chance please check out a few rescue dogs as well. Thank you.

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much! :). These are great websites. I will get in touch with the breeders and hopefully find and get to know one that will work for us.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Welcome from Central CA... Exeter. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
You are right about the health issues, but finding a reputable breeder that health test can be very beneficial to the health of a future family member; just gotta do the research!

Welcome from VA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts