Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Jenn and I am still relatively new to DT. I joined a while ago but I mostly just lurk rather than post. I have a six month Doberman named Leda, two mixed breed rescues named Ophelia and Jack, and then a 13 year old min. schnauzer named Kiko.

Leda is my first Doberman. My husband always loved Dobermans. I honestly didn't feel a strong pull one way or another (I always preferred German Shepherds since I grew up with them), but after meeting a few, began to really appreciate the breed. I was hesitant on purchasing a Doberman for quite a while since I had read about various health concerns (when I realized my husband was seriously considering a Doberman, I began reading books on the breed like it was going out of style), but overall, came to the conclusion that most breeds do have a greater risk in comparison to a mixed dog.

After finally deciding to purchase, we began researching breeders. This was the first time we ever looked at buying a dog from anywhere other than the SPCA, and to be honest, I really wasn't sure on what warning signs to be aware of. I guess I was a bit naiive thinking people are honest and upfront. We left numerous breeders in our area because they appeared to be a bit suspicious. At the time, I didn't know what a "BYB" was ... learned that lesson later on, sadly. We ended up going with a breeder approximately ten hours away because of a friend's recommendation. Since we had such positive reviews from my friend and the breeder had positive referrals, one from a vet, we decided to purchase. That was a bad idea ... see any thread on Royale Dobermans and you'll understand why. I'm still in a court battle with the breeder, so I will not say any more on that topic.

Overall, I do not regret Leda coming into our lives. I do regret that I didn't put the same time and effort into researching the breeder as I did the actual breed. Needless to say, she is a loveable, compassionate dog who is more or less healthy. We have some skin issues, but I know it could be a lot worse.

Other than that ... there isn't much to say. I decided to join DT to learn more about Dobermans and to hopefully share my positive experiences as time continues. I wish I had found the site earlier, but I suppose late is better than never. I've already met a few great people here and hope to continue to do so, and considering how helpful everyone has been, I doubt that will be a problem :)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and I am so sorry to hear about your plight. Unfortunatley it is all too common thread. It is even harder when you placed your trust in a friend and still have problems. Hope your court case goes well and you win. That is one way to send them a message loud and clear.

Glad you love Leda - she is the innocent in all this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know this post was from last year but I wanted to see if there was anyone else from Dover. I go to the local dog park often but the only dog that has been able to tire Mayhem out, was a ridgeback. every other dog just runs with him for a few laps and then they lay down. I was just trying to get another Dobie to play with him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sicjoke, which dog park do you go to? I sometimes go to the one at Tidbury. Our neighbor has a Doberman puppy as well and they go as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts