Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Dave and I have decided that a Doberman is going to be a perfect addition to my family. I am an avid dog lover, and though i have never owned a Dobe, I have loved the breed for a long time. I joined DT so that i can be as informed as i can be about the breed, and to find a good responsible, reputable breeder. We recently lost our Boxer Shelby, and I am afraid it may have been because I didn't do enough research into where I bought her. At 6 1/2 we found she had a cancerous tumor that was at great risk of rupturing at any time. She gave us an amazing 3 weeks after her diagnosis, and went quietly and peacefully. She was an amazing dog, and i couldnt have been happier with her loyalty, personality, and love. Its a shame that she was taken from us at such a young age. This time I am doing the research that will hopefully find us a loving pet that lasts us for many years to come. I appreciate any and all advice

Thanks
Dave

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

good luck with your research and search for just the right dog!

Hugz!

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss, it's hard. But u will not be sorry getting a Dob, they are so loving and smart. If u get a puppy, u will be surprised in just a couple months how much it's grown! Post picture when u find one right for u!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome also from CT. There is lots of info here in finding a reputable breeder. Stick around and you'll learn alot!

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Welcome from central CT. You will find a ton of great information here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. For those of you who are in the CT area I would love to hear from you as far as where you got your dogs, and who you would recommend. I dont think I am going to be ready to welcome another dog into my house for 6 months to a year, but I don't think you can start research too early. I have been trying to get the most i can from this forum, but I don't believe I am getting all i can. The information I have found is great, but it(the forum) is very restrictive. As a new member I apparently can't use the search function. I understand that some precautions need to be taken to keep this place a good, functioning, learning environment, but restricting my abilities to search has forced me to become more dependent on all of the members without having the ability to search for myself. I also can't PM, which doesn't enable me to contact a moderator or administrator with the issue i am having trying to effectively search this forum. I look forward to communicating with all of you, and i am excited about what a Doberman will contribute to my family.

Thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome. For those of you who are in the CT area I would love to hear from you as far as where you got your dogs, and who you would recommend. I dont think I am going to be ready to welcome another dog into my house for 6 months to a year, but I don't think you can start research too early. I have been trying to get the most i can from this forum, but I don't believe I am getting all i can. The information I have found is great, but it(the forum) is very restrictive. As a new member I apparently can't use the search function. I understand that some precautions need to be taken to keep this place a good, functioning, learning environment, but restricting my abilities to search has forced me to become more dependent on all of the members without having the ability to search for myself. I also can't PM, which doesn't enable me to contact a moderator or administrator with the issue i am having trying to effectively search this forum. I look forward to communicating with all of you, and i am excited about what a Doberman will contribute to my family.

Thanks
Dave
Dave, you will have full membership privileges soon, so stick around and chat a little bit with us. As far as the search function goes, I would definitely use the advanced search feature, as you'll get better results that way. You should be able to browse the forums, and I would recommend checking the "Breeding and Breeders" area to start your research. There is a great thread that's a sticky on how to start looking for an ethical Doberman breeder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the search function goes, I would definitely use the advanced search feature, as you'll get better results that way.

Will I have to wait to be a full member until I am able to use the search function? As of now it says that feature is restricted.

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
There shouldn't be any restrictions on using the search function, as far as I know. I suggest sending a Private Message to doberadmin. He should be able to get that fixed for you.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Minichunks - We adopted Mr. Zeus from Doberman Rescue Unlimited in NH. I would HIGHLY recommend DRU if you are interested in adopting a Doberman. They do a great job in pairing the right dog with the right family, and are available to assist you with any questions or concerns that you have after the adoption is finalized. Cindy, the adoption coordinator, is a fantastic person to work with.

I would also recommend checking out Distinguished Doberman Rescue in PA. They are an outstanding organization and have a plenty of Dobermans who are in need loving homes.

Best of luck in your search!

Reactions: Amelia_
1 - 18 of 18 Posts