Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I came across this site while I was researching various breeders and finally decided to join! Honestly, I've spent a good amount of time lurking and reading various threads in preparation for the arrival of the newest member of the family!

As the title says, I'm from Colorado and I have two dogs, a female five-year-old husky and a two-year-old- male husky/malamute mix. Both have been around Dobermans their entire lives and seem to prefer them over most other breeds. In fact, my male is a rescue and his foster family had told me that on the drive from Texas to Colorado, his surrogate mother was an older Doberman female. Apparently, they would catch her grooming him and keeping him calm during the drive! I personally grew up, by proxy, with a Doberman. She was my cousins' dog and I pretty much lived at their house. One of the best dogs ever but breed restrictions at my apartment at the time (I have since then moved into my own house) prevented me from getting a Doberman first.

But as I said earlier, we are currently prepping for the arrivial of the newest member. After much research and talking with various breeders, I settled with Pat from Shadeko Dobermans and honestly, I have nothing but great things to say about her. She has been rather helpful and kept me up to date with all the happenings with her dogs.

Love to hear everyone's advice about prepping for the new one because what better place than to come here for Doberman advice???

·
well trained hooman
765 Posts
Welcome!

How to prepare for a doberman puppy:
1. sleep
2. bandaids (for sharky teeth)
3. puppy proof EVERYTHING. especially the things you don't think a puppy can get into.
4. read dobermantalk's "puppy corner" for stories and advice for things you will probably run into with your pup.

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
Look under the title
Forums
then Doberman specific chat
then puppy corner

Alot of previous posts there you might find helpful.....as you think of questions ......start a new thread (since you are new..it might be a day or 2 before your thread appears) ......and everyone will chime in with their advise.....let us know if you need help with anything ....some of these folks sit around doing nothing all day ....and would be happy to assist you......LOL just kidding....great bunch of folks on this forum.....and we love to tease one another ...ALOT !!! >:)

Anyway ....look forward to your puppy questions......

·
Super Moderator
21,742 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to "meet" your new pup!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,926 Posts
Welcome!

1. sleep
3. puppy proof EVERYTHING. especially the things you don't think a puppy can get into.
4. read dobermantalk's "puppy corner" for stories and advice for things you will probably run into with your pup.
GREAT advice, Radar!!!

yuki_cos--welcome from another Colorado person! From the Springs...I'm wondering if the "cos" has the end of your name means you are too??
I'm out of dobes for the moment, having recently rescued an Australian Cattle Dog. But that doesn't mean I can't weigh in with comments from time to time. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!

1. sleep
GREAT advice, Radar!!!

yuki_cos--welcome from another Colorado person! From the Springs...I'm wondering if the "cos" has the end of your name means you are too??
I'm out of dobes for the moment, having recently rescued an Australian Cattle Dog. But that doesn't mean I can't weigh in with comments from time to time. :)

Thank you for such great advice! Though, I must ask what is this "sleep" you speak of? Is it part of some treasure from El Dorado?? :grin2:

Actually the "cos" part is the first letters of my last name but a happy accident because I do live in the Springs!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look under the title
Forums
then Doberman specific chat
then puppy corner

Alot of previous posts there you might find helpful.....as you think of questions ......start a new thread (since you are new..it might be a day or 2 before your thread appears) ......and everyone will chime in with their advise.....let us know if you need help with anything ....some of these folks sit around doing nothing all day ....and would be happy to assist you......LOL just kidding....great bunch of folks on this forum.....and we love to tease one another ...ALOT !!! >:)

Anyway ....look forward to your puppy questions......
And there's nothing wrong with a little teasing! But thanks so much!

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
well trained hooman
765 Posts
Thank you for such great advice! Though, I must ask what is this "sleep" you speak of? Is it part of some treasure from El Dorado?? :grin2:

Actually the "cos" part is the first letters of my last name but a happy accident because I do live in the Springs!
Oh good, you're already used to not sleeping....that will come in handy in the months to come :)

Don't forget bandaids. Lots. It's gonna look like your arms(and legs) went through a wood-chipper for a while.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh good, you're already used to not sleeping....that will come in handy in the months to come :)

Don't forget bandaids. Lots. It's gonna look like your arms(and legs) went through a wood-chipper for a while.
Definitely will be stocking up on the bandaids!

Funny recent story for all: I was at our dog park (very picky about which dog parks we go to and this one we love. We know everyone there and its pretty much a family setting) and my two came across a Doberman puppy! My girl decided that the puppy was her new park baby and proceeded to mother and groom him while my boy wanted to just play with him! It was rather cute watching this little puppy run after my large malamute/husky mix!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts