Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

I'm so excited to have adopted an 8 week old fawn doberman. She is such a sweetheart. I haven't owned a doberman before and I wanted to get some tips or advice. I noticed that she seems to always need to be touching. I wouldn't say I'm concerned, but even if I'm sitting on the couch, her paw needs to be touching my foot. Also, is dandruff normal for new puppies especially during the winter time? I was thinking about buying her a sweater for when we potty train outside. She seems to shiver a lot when we go out at night. :(

Thanks for any tips! I appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,375 Posts
Welcome to DT. She's actually red not fawn. I recommend reading the sticky threads in the puppy forum, breeder forum, and new member section. Dandruff is not normal, no, and it can be stress or diet induced. Feed her a quality premium kibble and it's likely to improve her skin and coat. If you adopted her the rescue group or shelter should be able to offer advice as well.

·
Registered
11,892 Posts
Your Autumn is a cutie.
Get use to the constant touching you, that's the best part of the breed with many of these dogs.
- our last girl even liked belly rubs, before she would go to sleep
- and her back was always slightly pressed against me
- our current girl starts out her master bed sleepy, resting her head on my ankles
- this Dad can't get a good nights sleep now, without a dobe beside him...LOL
Even when they sleep, they always need to know were their human family members are...and while awake some will sit or lean on your foot occasionally, so the human can't move without the dog knowing it first...they hate to miss out on anything we do.
- and that's the best part, owning them, their never far away

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) She's cute!

If her skin isnt red, itchy or smelly and there's no fur loss, I wouldn't be especially worried about the dandruff. Sometimes they get a little dandruff when they're stressed, all the upheaval of leaving mum, new house, new environment ect can case stress so hopefully it will calm down once she's settled in.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Yes, if that is your new pup, in your avatar, she is a red, not a fawn.

Which shelter or rescue group did you adopt from?

If it was a Doberman-specific group, I'm very surprised they didn't know her correct color.

As Amelia mentioned, Dobermans can do a bit of "stress-flaking," but as she's a pup, she also very much needs to be on a good deworming schedule, as well as have the protozoal parasites (Giardia and Coccidia) ruled out by her veterinarian. Parasites can greatly affect her skin/coat quality.

Also, what are you feeding her?

As for always touching you--there's a reason these guys earned the nickname "Velcro dogs" ;)

·
Feed Me
1,008 Posts
As RFR mentioned, these pups are known as Velcro dogs, they demand lots of human interaction and attention. As i'm typing right now, my red boy insists upon laying his head on my right arm to ensure he's touching me. It can be inconvenient at times, but it's actually something that I (and a lot of Dobe owners) love about the breed:)

Welcome to DT, as this is your first Doberman, you'll learn a lot here and find this site is an enormous resource! Lots of great knowledge and helpful folks:) Cute pup, keep the pics coming!

·
Feed Me
1,008 Posts
Sorry forgot to answer your tip question! As for tips, invest in kong toys (much longer lived than any of the stuffies, and much less clean up:) and bully sticks made in USA. When those adult teeth start coming through, you'll need something to occupy them!

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Cute puppy! We can't really tell you much until you post a LOT of photos! :D

Seriously, Dobermans are often in need of coats and this little girl probably needs one if you live in a temperate or cold climate. When I got my puppy last year I bought a coat right away because that little Florida boy was cold in North Carolina! Do you have some good training books? You'll need to do lots of training with this breed because Miss Autumn is very intelligent and will likely have a activity level.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What a cute red girl you got there! :)

Dobermans are single coated dogs and are sensitive to heat and cold. If she is shivering, she needs a coat :)

They are velcro dogs, they love to lean on you, sit on you, nose poke you, and sleep on you.

They are a working dog, so you may want to enroll in a fun sport that the both of you can excel at.

This is a breed that is not the healthiest, so a hefty savings account or pet insurance is a must. Things you may want to look up on are: DCM, Cancer, VwD, and Wobblers to start. Then there are things like Hypothyroidsm, Allergies, Skin infectons, obstructions, and bloat.

Be proactive in her health, keep her active and engaged, and love her everyday :)

·
AmLex
334 Posts
What a beautiful girl! But I agree she is a red not fawn.

Dobies respond to positive reinforcement training rather than harsh punishment. They are very sensitive and can be sulkers! Lol. A firm no is generally all that is needed to get your point across. And make sure you enrol her in general OB classes initially and then go from there...they will take over if you let them.

At this moment in time Lexi (6 months) is lying all over me...because she is a lapdog dontcha know! Haha! Velcro to the core my girl...haven't had a pee/bath/nap alone since we had her!

Get used to dobernose pokes, dober punches, the dobie lean, etc etc.

You are in for a fun (sometimes challenging) time!

Good luck with your beautiful baby!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Yup, she'll need a coat if it gets real cold out. Once she finishes growing, there's a ton of good ones out there. I have one from Foggy Mountain for my red boy, Griffin. When it's real cold, I put his fleece coat on, then his coat, plus a snood and booties... but it was -13 when I got up this morning so you might not need that much if your temps are warmer. Griffin is also older and not as cold tolerant as he used to be. Even with the coats and everything, if it's colder than 10 degrees, he's good for about 10-15 minutes before he starts shivering. I make him go inside when that starts. In the meantime, sweaters are a good option so you don't have to keep replacing coats as she grows. I'd wait till she's an adult before getting a serious coat. Dobes don't have a lot of fur or body fat, which is why they get cold easier than some other breeds.

Also, a fleece blanket is appreciated once they get out of the chewing stage. I pick up some from Target after clearances, and have also found some fleece blankets at thrift shops for a couple bucks. Griffin likes to cover himself up and sleep that way.

Dandruff is normal for Griff in the winter too. His skin dries out because we've got propane heat, and the house is dry. He's not tolerant of fish oil, but if your girl is, you can always give her some of that to help with skin and coat. I would suggest a vet visit though, at 8 weeks it's a good idea to have a vet check things out, especially since you just adopted her. Most rescues will ask that you have a vet visit, and 8 week old pup will need it anyway for shots and things. Dandruff can also be linked to diet or some health problems, and a vet visit will rule those out. You want to make sure it's just from dry skin and not a sign of another health problem. My first Dobe, Logan, had horrible skin with flakes and scales and scabs. It was a combo of hypothyroidism and bad diet from his previous home (he was also a rescue), plus CDA on top of that mix.

The touching thing is normal. Griffin's usual position is curled up next to me on the couch with his nose resting on my leg. If I get up to move from room to room, he follows. They're very in tune with their owners and they want to be with you at all times.

Post more pics! Reds are awesome (not that I'm biased or anything). :D

Foggy Mountain dog coats

Made by Meadowcat (custom fleece coats and she made the snood too)

Puzzle dog toys (for keeping her occupied! You can also find stuff like this on Amazon and in local pet stores.)

Orbee World Ball (their toys are pretty Dober-indestructable. My current world ball has lasted through two Dobermans, an Australian Cattle dog, a Rottie, and a terrier mix)

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Welcome from Portland area. Enjoy having a dog that wants to live inside your skin with you. :)

Reactions: PacNWDobie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, if that is your new pup, in your avatar, she is a red, not a fawn.

Which shelter or rescue group did you adopt from?

If it was a Doberman-specific group, I'm very surprised they didn't know her correct color.

As Amelia mentioned, Dobermans can do a bit of "stress-flaking," but as she's a pup, she also very much needs to be on a good deworming schedule, as well as have the protozoal parasites (Giardia and Coccidia) ruled out by her veterinarian. Parasites can greatly affect her skin/coat quality.

Also, what are you feeding her?

As for always touching you--there's a reason these guys earned the nickname "Velcro dogs" ;)
Thanks for the info! She is updated on her vaccines and deworming. I've noticed she only is flaking on the scalp area. She is showing a little hair loss. I called the doctor and he recommended some good shampoo. :thanx:

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the tips! We already enrolled her into canine training school. Everyone in the class loves her. She's such a sweet heart. I've brought her around many children and babies to also socialize her. She seems to love kids and gets along well with my 10lb poodle. :)

We've had a little difficulty with crate training because she would rather fall asleep touching us than being alone. It makes me a little sad, but she's improving each day.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yes, she is a red doberman. Sorry for the confusion. I spoke with my vet. :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Glad to hear your cute lil gal is doing well. One quick concern from your pic though, looks like she might be knuckling over. What are you feeding her?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Glad to hear your cute lil gal is doing well. One quick concern from your pic though, looks like she might be knuckling over. What are you feeding her?

I agree, looks like she's knuckling over.

Did your vet not mention that to you, OP?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts