Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so my Isis had her ears cropped last Tuesday and they are doing good. We have had some problems keeping them in the post the vet puts on. Tampons where the first method he used and she kept popping the bottoms of the post out, so after seeing the vet 2 times in one day he decided to put this headphone looking contraption thing on. It is working so far, but we are going back to the vet tomorrow because I think she has popped one of them out. :mad: She still has her stitches in which come out Thursday and after this I plan on posting myself. I have been told that while her stitches are in her ears should not have anything on them. Is this correct? and what are pockets and where can they form at? If there is anything else anyone feels I need to know, please tell me as I am all ears!!:D

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Why isn't your breeder taking care of this for you?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
From their website:

...I would love to put individual photos on the website but it takes me too long to upload photos with this many puppies...

Wow. Just wow. If they don't have time to show individual pics, wonder what else they don't have time to do for the puppies they are choosing to bring into this world?

OP, I'm sorry your breeder did not do things in a responsible manner, and I sure hope your sweet pup doesn't end up with any damage or further injury to his ears, due to your inexperience and the lack of knowledgeable breeder support.

There are a few threads on here that give tutorials on posting, and also give members' names who will help with posting. Perhaps there is someone in your local area.

Best of luck to you, and share more puppy pics as you can.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
While conformation is important they don't breed for showing and breed for "superior" size. Did youknow the bigger the doberman the better the breed is at guarding property? woooow

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the responses. I must say to the ones that seem to be only concerned with where I got my pup from and how they breed and whatever else, that is so irrelevant. I bought my pup knowing full and well this is not a "show dog". She is a pet and that is what I got her for. She may not be top of the line, or a $1000 dog but she suits me just fine. I have done my best to take care of her, even tho I am "inexperienced". As far as the breeders and their lack of pictures on their website, it was really not a concern for me. I was sent pictures before I made the decision to purchase my pup. I guess every breeder is different. Now back to why I started this thread which was to get advice about taking care of my dogs ears.. so if anyone has advice pertaining to things to look for as far as pockets, etc I welcome their comments. If you want to talk about anything else that is irrelevant to this topic I really don't want to hear it. Thanks in advance!!! :D

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
OP, I think you have missed the point. That is common when one finds out their breeder is less than stellar.

Stick around and learn WHY you should never do this again.

We love your pup no less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, I think you have missed the point. That is common when one finds out their breeder is less than stellar.

Stick around and learn WHY you should never do this again.

We love your pup no less.
I didnt miss anything. The breeder is everything I expected. On his website it plainly says how they breed and what you will be getting. I dont understand why everyone is all up in the air about the breeder. I could see different if he lied about how he breeds, but he didnt. Not that it matters but im curious why is this guy a bad breeder you said i should stay around and learn not to make this mistake again. Please tell me what mistake i made? I wanted a large dog and i dont care about show quality. So if you ask me i got exactly what i wanted. And i couldn't be any happier with my Isis. Thanks

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I didnt miss anything. The breeder is everything I expected. On his website it plainly says how they breed and what you will be getting. I dont understand why everyone is all up in the air about the breeder. I could see different if he lied about how he breeds, but he didnt. Not that it matters but im curious why is this guy a bad breeder you said i should stay around and learn not to make this mistake again. Please tell me what mistake i made? I wanted a large dog and i dont care about show quality. So if you ask me i got exactly what i wanted. And i couldn't be any happier with my Isis. Thanks
The mistake was supporting that kind of breeding program. By purchasing a puppy from that breeder you are ensuring the breeding program continues. This is a program with no, or very little testing, that produces dogs of poor conformation and all those things lead to health problems. Sure, you only wanted a pet and didn't want to spend thousands of dollars so why not rescue? Rescues get puppies to. Dobermans aren't supposed to be large dogs and there are plenty of threads here about the consequences of over-sized dobermans. It's not good.

Edit: RFR said it better than me and I just want to make sure that this gets repeated...
RedFawnRising said:
...do know your puppy is welcome here. We just don't celebrate nor support the practices of Backyard Breeders--they harm the breed and the individual dogs.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
What mistake you made is probably beyond the scope of one thread, definitely beyond the scope of one post, but I'll try to give you the nutshell version.

Understand, this is not meant as an insult to you (and using the word "inexperienced" is just factual, not derogatory, btw) or to your puppy.

Also, just so you know that folks posting to you aren't "show dog snobs," look at the dogs in my signature pic. They are both at the bridge now, but they had a pure TON of conformation flaws, health issues--both mental and physical in one's case--and I loved them no less for all that.

I however, adopted them as rescues, and did not pay money to the irresponsible breeders who brought them into this world.

Okay, that said, your breeder needed to have screened both parents at least annually for cardio disease, tested for the cardiac gene marker (PDK4), annual thyroid test, CERF (eye screening), OFA for hip dysplasia, vWD gene testing, liver panels--AND they should have done something with their dogs other than brag about them and breed them.

That would have proven (instead of being a lot of talk) that the dogs *could* work and compete, that their bodies would hold up as athletes, that their minds could take the training properly, and that the breeder KNEW HIS ANIMALS well enough to be thinking about passing on their genes to the next generation.

In case you're not familiar, the Doberman is a breed absolutely plagued with health problems--many of them always fatal--and many of us on here are weary of the heartbreak, with our own beloved pets, and all the sad stories from folks who got excited and bought a cute puppy and then went thru vet bills and heartbreak, too.

There are no guarantees when it comes to Mother Nature, but this breeder didn't even almost try to stack the deck in these puppies' favor.

As to the ear questions you have, please take a look at the suggested threads--many of your questions will be answered there--and do know your puppy is welcome here. We just don't celebrate nor support the practices of Backyard Breeders--they harm the breed and the individual dogs.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Please, don't insult us with this nonsense.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I didnt miss anything. The breeder is everything I expected.
You expected to be left in the dark, where only the health of your puppy could suffer?

We don't care that you weren't looking for a show dog, few people are, and we don't care that you didn't want to spend what it costs to get a fully health tested dog. We just don't like your breeder because he breeds dogs for money and they haven't been health tested, and then leaves his puppy owners to fend for themselves with an important thing like cropping and posting.

It just makes us sad to see people needing this sort of help with their puppies ears, because we know that had they gone to an ethical breeder they wouldn't be put in a situation where they need to ask strangers on a forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To each is own!!!! I am completely happy with my puppy and who I bought her from. You people can say what you like if I had to do it again I would. Thanks for all the help and advice about the ears. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A HUGE HELP!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You expected to be left in the dark, where only the health of your puppy could suffer?

We don't care that you weren't looking for a show dog, few people are, and we don't care that you didn't want to spend what it costs to get a fully health tested dog. We just don't like your breeder because he breeds dogs for money and they haven't been health tested, and then leaves his puppy owners to fend for themselves with an important thing like cropping and posting.

It just makes us sad to see people needing this sort of help with their puppies ears, because we know that had they gone to an ethical breeder they wouldn't be put in a situation where they need to ask strangers on a forum.
If you don't care then why are you commenting. How do you figure that he left me to fend for myself with the ear cropping? If I were you I would get the whole story before making wild accusations like that. He is more than willing to answer any questions I may have and in fact I have contacted him in the past with questions. The only reason I come here is to get a second opinion. No one person has the perfect answer for every situation, there are hundreds if not thousand on this forum its just nice to hear multiple opinions. Had I known this would turn into a flame the breeder fest I would have gone else where. Good Day to you all.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
To each is own!!!! I am completely happy with my puppy and who I bought her from. You people can say what you like if I had to do it again I would. Thanks for all the help and advice about the ears. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A HUGE HELP!!
Well, you and your breeder are the type who keep shelters and rescues busy and overwhelmed, then.

If you're not being sarcastic with your "thanks for the ear help," then--you're welcome.

If you are being sarcastic, well, I guess you were incapable of recognizing the links and information you were given.

Either way, good luck with your pup. I hope you guys beat the odds and have many happy healthy years together.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts