Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’m new to this community and this is my first Doberman puppy as well. Maya is 12 weeks old and got her ears cropped about 4 days ago. Last night I noticed it looked like there was fresh blood around her stitches. I was wondering if this is normal or if I should be worried. The vet recommended this kong brand neck donut to keep her from scratching at it and she’s been doing very well at not doing so, I’ve also been consistently watching her to make sure she’s not scratching as well. She’s wearing a collar for the photo since I’m working on potty training & leash walking. I’ve included an image for reference. Any advice?

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
Hi mom. Welcome from the Pacific NW
The ears look fine to me. Just resist the urge to clean them with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc. Leave them alone.
Also, do not attempt to pick or remove any scabs. They are part of the healing process and will be absorbed or fall off on their own.

Hey... Since you already know how to add photos here, how about a pic of your girl, Maya, other than just her ear! LOL

Also, when it comes time to post her ears, member greenkouki (above) ^^^^ has authored a tremendous step by step visual tutorial on posting using the backer rod method:

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

It is highly recommended here that you learn to post your puppy's ears yourself. In the long run both you and the pup will have a better time of it.

You will find all kinds of stuff, including post removal, crop aftercare, etc. in the Ear Cropping and Posting sub section in the Puppy Corner forum accessed on the right hand side of this page. (Explore our forums)

Bet to you and Maya

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the tips! I’ve been looking at a few methods already but I’ll look more into the one you’ve recommended! I thought it would be better to learn how to do it myself so it’s perfect that you have some recommendations! Here’s some more photos of my baby pre post operation.

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
What a handsome pup!

The reason you were asked about nails is the those needle like claws that Dobe pups have grow like crazy and have less of a chance to scratch the ear or rip a stitch if they are kept really short.

Also, you should be able to lose the donut soon. The ears should stop itching shortly.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Oh, I see MMcCown just posted a response! So..... What MMc said^^^^^^^ LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts