Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our last dobe, "Pete"... I started him on IAMS. He got hives from the regular line of IAMS and put him on the Lamb and rice and he tolerated that pretty well. He always had kind of a dull coat and it was getting a little thin in spots so putting all that together he more than likely had an allergy issue.

We're picking out a new pup this weekend(should be in our house about the end of May). I want to start out this girl on the right foot....I've read alot of posts and Canidae seems to be a popular food with everyone on here.

Any other suggestions?

P.S. We also have a 8 yr pug, (who was Pete's "boss" LOL), who is the itchiest dog I have ever seen. She licks her paws all the time and does the scoot across the floor. She is on Iams weight control. Any suggestions on a switch for here as far as food goes? (She needs the weight control stuff, she's a little piggie!)

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I absolutely hate IAMS...I think it is no better than feeding Old Roy....some people think it is ok, I am just not one of them. This is a great site to compare...I did Nutro for years and then switched to Wellness....I really like the thought of Wellness, but the stools were loose all the time..so I switched to Pro Plan...here is the site.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

·
Banned
675 Posts
Many dogs have skin issues while eating Iams. There are many better brands of dog food available. Canidae is one of them. What I look for first is human grade ingredients, that is, ingredients that are fit for human consumption, rather than ingredients that are not.

Canidae fits that description, so does Innova, Innova Evo, California Natural, Solid Gold, Flint River Ranch, and quite a few others. You can compare them on the comparison wizard you'll find on the link posted above.

Innova is a rich food, and dogs can gain weight on it unless you cut back the usual amount you feed. OTOH the same company makes California Natural which comes in a low calorie formula. California Natural is formulated for dogs with food allergies, it has very few ingredients, but is made by the same company that makes Innova.

I have fed Innova for years and my dogs have done well on it, but not all foods will be the best for every dog, what I do is first locate the best brands, the ones using human grade ingredients, then try them until you find the one that works best for your dog.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
All the foods that MicDobe listed are great. I've feed both California Natural and now feed Innova Evo.

That said, you could feed the puppy the Calif Natural but the EVO is a very high protien food and you would not want to feed it to a puppy. Ask the breeder what she feeds her puppies. She has raised a lot of litters over the years and probably has some good advise.

My breeder feeds pro plan, and while I like their puppy food, there are much better adult foods out there.

For your pug, I'd get him off of Iams and find one with no corn or wheat and see if it makes a difference after a good 30 day trial. I'd also think about giving him some suppliments like omega 3 fish oil (I buy mine at costco or walmart). California Natural is a really good kibble for dogs with allergies because it has very few ingredients. Remember to not give treats with corn or wheat for the trial period either. Evo makes a good treat with no wheat or corn.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My older dog (11/12) used to lick her legs and feet constantly and even would start licking the carpet. I wondered if even her tongue itched. My other dog I got from the Humane Soc and I thought she must have fleas cause she scratched all over constantly.
I switched my older dog to the canidae platinum (older age formula) and the younger to canidae all life stages. That took care of the itching problem for both of them and their coats are fantastic. You will see a huge difference in the pugs coat if you switch.
The butt dragging is probably her anal glands needing (can't think of the correct word) emptying. Or is she just scooting on her side?
The other brands mentioned are good too, I just only have the experience with the Canidae.
Here is another good sight for comparison shopping.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
IMO I don't really like any of the weight control foods. They have ton's of fibre or filler to make the dog feel full yet not a whole lot of meat, and very little fats. And lot's of filler normally means lots to pick up! And yes I understand the concept of lowering the fats but in my opinion they normally leave the dog dry and itchy. I would rather put my overweight dog on a all life stages or adult food and feed according to what the breed should weigh around, give or take a few pounds for different heights. I would also up the pug's exercise and give no extra treats.

Like the posters above I also look for human grade ingredients but also that the first 2 if not 3 ingredients are meat based. An example would be Canidae - Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal...etc. I also prefer the meals over just Chicken.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I understand what you are saying Okie dobie, but canidae has no fiber or fillers in the older age formula.
Here is what the last paragraph says from the dogfoodanalysis site.

"This is an excellent looking food with very good meat content. The only grain contained in the food is rice, and there are no grain fragments or other fillers. It is one of the very few senior foods on the market that reduces fat without sacrificing the meat content and nutritional adequacy of the food. Great to see."

·
Registered
986 Posts
Any suggestions on a switch for here as far as food goes? (She needs the weight control stuff, she's a little piggie!)
Thanks for your suggestions in advance!
Kevin, I don't feed it myself but if I were you, I'd put them all (including piggy puggy) on Canidae. You may be surprised that the pug is actually satisfied on less of it than the old food.

The butt dragging is probably her anal glands needing (can't think of the correct word) emptying.
Expressing.:)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Kevin, I don't feed it myself but if I were you, I'd put them all (including piggy puggy) on Canidae. You may be surprised that the pug is actually satisfied on less of it than the old food.

Expressing.:)
Ah Sooz you have such a way with words! lol

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I practically sleep with this website address under my pillow. I know my dogs are happier and a lot healthier because of it.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I understand what you are saying Okie dobie, but canidae has no fiber or fillers in the older age formula.
Here is what the last paragraph says from the dogfoodanalysis site.

"This is an excellent looking food with very good meat content. The only grain contained in the food is rice, and there are no grain fragments or other fillers. It is one of the very few senior foods on the market that reduces fat without sacrificing the meat content and nutritional adequacy of the food. Great to see."

Linda I am not talking about the senior diet foods, I am talking about the weight control foods. Innova also makes a very good senior food. But I will go check there site out again. :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Linda I am not talking about the senior diet foods, I am talking about the weight control foods. Innova also makes a very good senior food. But I will go check there site out again. :)
I wanted to make sure Kevin didn't get the wrong impression cause the Platinum is for senior and overweight dogs and you are right most dog foods do just load up the food with worthless fillers. And yes I know you know you are right.:) :) :)
Kevin, by the way, when I first put my older dog on the all life stages (she had lost a couple of pounds when I weighed her at the vets and I had that on my mind) she gained weight. I looked at her one day and realized she was pudgy. Crap, I said and put her on a diet and then switched her over to the Platinum.
She always has been an "easy keeper" and she so loves to eat.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Just wanted to add that if switching to Canidae ALS or Platinum doesn't wor to stop the itching, you might want to try one of the kibbles that has a single protein source. While intolerance to certain kinds of grains is common, so is intolerance to specific protein sources for some dogs.

I know Candidae one that's just chicken based, and another that uses lamb as the protein source. Or there are other premium foods designed specifically for dogs with allergies that have single, more unusual protein sources-Wellness and Natural Balance come to mind.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My Petey is 5 months old, and we have tried a couple of great foods but not with much luck. He has been on Solid Gold Wolf Cub, and Innova Large breed Puppy. He has terrible smelly gas and problems with the runs....all the time. So I am in the process of switching him to a RAW diet. I have been researching it for a couple of months, and this past week started to stock my freezer full of meat. So far he has had NO GAS! It's only been 2 days...so we shall see.

Carol

·
Doberman lover
72 Posts
I don't understand why they say that the high protein dog foods can't be used for puppies- feeding raw is almost all protein. Is not the worry just to ensure that they do not grow too fast? Kinda like an Atkins Diet - high protein, low carb. Energy is energy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am very happy with Innova so far and both my dogs love it.

I also feed some Canidae which I like as well.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We feed our two California Natural. Titus is 2 and Jada is 6 months old and they both are doing great on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts