Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new owner to a beautiful doberman and I have many questions, my husband researched the breed before and found this would be a great dog for our family. He gets lots of exercise but it never seems to be enough, he is walked and we take him to a park and use a ball and he runs forever, he is now 6 months old and 76lbs and is always in to everything, its almost like he is bored, just wondering if this is normal and if anyone out there has any suggestions, the big one we are working on is he jumps up on the counters, not sure what else we can do to break him of this.

Thanks
Odins Mom

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT. What do you do for training? How much and how often? That will tire him out mentally. As for the counter counter surfing I'd suggest keeping an eye on him and stopping the behavior before it happens.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!

Here is a thread on counter surfing from a bit back (http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/60390-counter-surfing.html) ... I'm *still* going through this with Koa - I try to leave NOTHING good up there. He seems to do really well and then the second I forget (couple of weeks ago - seasoned taco meat) it takes us back again, because then he starts looking there for goodies.

In terms of tiring him out, I would enroll him in an obedience class or do some training with him. Mental stimulation tires my guy out way faster than physical. I've been trying to keep him in classes once a week now and really keeping up on the smaller sessions in between, seems to help for us.

Long-lasting chews (I use antler, bully sticks and himalayan chews) help my guy with boredom sometime, too.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

You could try lots of obedience training to wear him out mentally, this is better than physical exercise at this time, as you can do long-term damage from too much physical exercise. At this young age, its recommended that you walk them for 5 minutes per month of their age (doesn’t sound like much!)

We enrolled my boy in ring craft lessons and OB lessons, and is always very, very tired after about an hour or two. You could also try low strain exercise, such as swimming, to try and get rid of some of that energy.

For my boy's short counter surfing career, we used a can of compressed air to shock him out of doing it. He did it maybe once or twice and never again :) You could also try not leaving food on the counter, just to remove the temptation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts