Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LilPupper2018
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My boyfriend and I made the decision to get a doberman! Bishop is 9 months old (born February 6th, 2018) and is a big, big boy! We've noticed, though, that he behaves a bit differently from what we expected from a Doberman; namely, he has absolutely no energy. He will follow us around and walk from person to person, but when it comes to going outside or playing he won't do anything. He'll maybe take four or five steps to go to the bathroom outside, then we have to carry him back in the house. He'll chew on a rubber ball that we have for him, and he'll chew on a squeaky toy hedgehog we got, but when we throw them or try to engage him he'll just walk away. After twenty minutes of wandering around outside with my boyfriend today (not running, just exploring the yard) he came in and laid down and passed out. Food doesn't motivate him, and we're not quite sure what will. We just got him yesterday; is this just a waiting game as he gets used to us, or is this something we should visit a vet about?

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Alice, I think everyone who gets a new dog (of any age) should take it to a vet for a first check up within 48 hours of it joining your household.

As far as energy and how the dog plays (or doesn't) where did he come from? Where was he his preceeding 9 months?

Some dogs come out of living conditions where they never learned to play--if they have no experience sometimes you need to teach them that.

Sometimes they were living somewhere confined mostly to a kennel--so again--they may not know what to do with themselves. And they may not be as big as you make t sound but may be greatly overweight and undermuscled and need more exercise and a chance to get more exercise.

And none of that may be the case but he's only been in your home a day--you won't really see his personality for a couple of weeks.

But I think you should take him to your vet and have him checked out for physical condition.

PS You really should not be carrying a 9 month old Doberman puppy around. Get a collar and leash and teach him his name and how to walk on a leash and come when called.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,066 Posts
When you say food doesn't motivate him......is he eating at all? And drinking normally as far as you can tell? Has he eaten since you got him?

Because if he isn't, and given that he is very low in energy, he may need a vet today rather than tomorrow.

You wouldn't necessarily expect him to eat much or may not even eat at all, just because he is brand new to you.....but it's possible he's sick too. It's tough to tell because you don't know what is normal for him. But it is something to keep an eye on....diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain.....

Do take him to a vet tomorrow just to give him a check-up anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,970 Posts
You have to carry him in ?? - So why do you have to do this ? Does he just lay there and can't get up ? It could be many things - I guess - But we have never had a Doberman at 9 months that was not a stick of dynamite . He may be home sick from where you got him - they attach to people very quickly . I still have to wonder why you carry him in . As the other said - first on the list is a vet trip !

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,338 Posts
Ditto to dobebug!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,066 Posts
Update? Did the vet give you any insight about whether his behavior is normal, or advice about where to go from now??

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I would take him to the vet maybe have them do a full blood panel work up just in case.

If you just got him yesterday so give it some time. He might be missing his former home? He might be trying to figure out his new home. When we get fosters into rescue it takes about 2 weeks to get their personality to come out. Spend those 2 weeks getting him to bond to you before taking him anywhere.

I will say I knew a 6mo. old puppy that had no play engagement with humans and she was very confused about it. I kept up and she eventually started to catch on to what fun it is to play tug with humans. Just keep doing what you're doing, he'll come around.

Good luck.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
Echo the other posters to get him to a vet pronto. Also ask for a thyroid profile - you did say he is a big, big boy, and you're also saying he is seemingly lethargic, both of which could point toward hypothyroidism. It's not that common for his age, but I did have one that went hypothyroid before he was a year old (although mine was not symptomatic).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts