Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a new doberman owner. I've always wanted one, and I finally got my little buddy, Vader. At first, Vader had some health problems, so I didn't want to bother with his ear cropping (the vet agreed).

He's now 12 weeks old. I took him to the vet to talk about ear cropping. The vet said there is a chance 1 or both ears won't stand up perfectly, since it's late in the game. By the way the vet was talking, it sounded like he's giving it a 50/50 chance.

I was wondering if I could get some advise/guidance.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Super Moderator
15,461 Posts
It really depends on the individual puppy and only an expert doberman ear cropper will know. Twelve weeks is on the later side. Most pups are cropped at 7-9 weeks; however, I've seen puppies on here cropped as late as 16 weeks with success. Your best bet is to get in touch with an ear crop expert vet as I mentioned before. You need to do this ASAP.

It is a shame that the breeder did not do this for you. The doberman is a cropped and docked breed and breeders have a responsibility to have this done for new owners so they don't end up high and dry like you. Maybe if you purchase another doberman puppy in the future you will go to a reputable breeder who will have this taken care of for you.

Post your location and we can tell you the closest doberman ear cropper to you. Most vets who crop ears do not crop them well and it's certainly worth it to drive the extra distance to one of these experts if there's not one very close by.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
if you can't get it done asap (within a week max!) then i'd leave him as is.

I personally know quite a few pups who were cropped at 14/16 weeks and did fine but they are the exception not the rule and it's far better to crop closer to 7-10 weeks, and not past 12 if you can.

Not to sound snobby or anything either, but who's the vet? While any vet can crop ears, not every vet should, the only thing worse than regretting not cropping is doing it and having an ugly crop! and it takes a skilled cropper to know the limits on what will and won't work look wise and as far as how well the ears will stand based on ear leather, set, and age of the puppy.

p.s. any pictures of your pup :) we love pictures!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really depends on the individual puppy and only an expert doberman ear cropper will know. Twelve weeks is on the later side. Most pups are cropped at 7-9 weeks; however, I've seen puppies on here cropped as late as 16 weeks with success. Your best bet is to get in touch with an ear crop expert vet as I mentioned before. You need to do this ASAP.

It is a shame that the breeder did not do this for you. The doberman is a cropped and docked breed and breeders have a responsibility to have this done for new owners so they don't end up high and dry like you. Maybe if you purchase another doberman puppy in the future you will go to a reputable breeder who will have this taken care of for you.

Post your location and we can tell you the closest doberman ear cropper to you. Most vets who crop ears do not crop them well and it's certainly worth it to drive the extra distance to one of these experts if there's not one very close by.
Charlotte, NC. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
529 Posts
at this point in time it will most likely depend on you. You will have to faithfully keep his ears posted all the time. It will take a longer time posting but if you keep after them and don't get tired of doing it, realizing it may take all the way till he is about a year old. it can be done and has been done plenty. But if they don't stand it will be on you not on the vet or the pup. It can be real aggravating at times when they throw them out of their ears just moments after you thought you taped them right. But you will have to take them down and do it again. When taking them down leave them for just an hour or two to air out, clean them real good and put them right back up.

·
Super Moderator
15,461 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
15,461 Posts
I know of the practice and people who use it. Those two I listed are the only practices I would go to for ear cropping and you will not get a good crop elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,006 Posts
I received Axel at 12 weeks and took him to get his ears cropped as soon as I could. Within the week. My vet wouldn't do it. He didn't believe in it. I was reluctantly given a crop doctor recommendation, by his rescue group, up near Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. I know that won't help you, but ask for pictures of the Doc's work!

I was fortunate and his ears didn't take too many postings and were beautiful! The vet went less than show crop, but so pretty!

Just do your research, as you are!

Congratulations on your new baby!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts