Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, i'd like to introduce myself - my name is Jennifer, I live in Scarborough Ontario. I'm married, a mom of three kids, (15 yr old step son, 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter)...

My children were very afraid of animals, and I was thinking of getting a dog for them in the summer as I couldn't even go to a relative or friends house who had a dog bc my daughter was so scared, and I thought that it would help with that, plus I really wanted a dog myself.

One month ago, my husband brought home an "early Christmas present". A 4 month old Doberman puppy which he named Phoenix. Because of poor reputation of this breed I was a little upset, but after doing some research (including here) I realized that I had no reason to be upset. She is good with the kids (who are NO LONGER SCARED of dogs - YAY) although she is a little hyper and going through a really mouthy stage - she "play bites" a lot, putting her mouth over your arm for example but never actually biting. Because of this I need to be on top of her to make sure she doesn't accidently hurt them, so they are never alone with her.

My only real concern with her is this - I no longer sleep at night. She barks all so much at night that it is starting to affect me at work. I get up at 4:30am for work, and I go to sleep at about 11. When I put her in the crate, I tell her to go to her bed and she does just fine. But she is up at around 1:30 and then at 3:30 or 4 barking non stop. I make sure she is taken out to pee before she is crated (sometimes this isnt till after 12 because I have some night owls living in my house!). When she wakes me up barking, I take her out to pee again because I'm worried that as a puppy, she can't and shouldn't hold her pee as long. But then she wakes up again a few hours later.

I can't leave her out because she isn't completely housetrained yet. The only night she slept right through was xmas eve, because we were at my moms and her crate was in the room with me. Should I consider moving the crate to my room, or does this create a bad habit?

Any advice? You all seem so knowledgable. Anything would help at this point, I need my sleep!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What does she do during the day? I'm thinking that perhaps she needs more exercise and the reason she's barking is because she isn't tired enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know that could be it - I take her for as many walks as she'll let me but for some reason if the ground is wet and there is NO snow, she refused to walk unless the kids are with me. If the ground has snow she'll walk for as long as I can go. But if it's my 15 year old or my husband walking her, they skimp on the walks, and are back in 10-15 mins. She runs around in the house a lot, and I do take her to the dog park as often as I can. Come to think of it, the days I took her to the off lead park, she didn't bark as much at night....

I think I should get her to the park every day for this week so she can really run and see if it makes a difference....

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Unless you specifically don't want her in there, nothing wrong with moving the crate into your room either -this is a breed that likes to be with their humans. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no real problem with her being in the room, except for the fact that theres not much extra space as it is in there. But if the extra exercise doesn't work that may be my next step.

You guys are fast in reply! Thank you both :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
You know that could be it - I take her for as many walks as she'll let me but for some reason if the ground is wet and there is NO snow, she refused to walk unless the kids are with me. If the ground has snow she'll walk for as long as I can go. But if it's my 15 year old or my husband walking her, they skimp on the walks, and are back in 10-15 mins. She runs around in the house a lot, and I do take her to the dog park as often as I can. Come to think of it, the days I took her to the off lead park, she didn't bark as much at night....

I think I should get her to the park every day for this week so she can really run and see if it makes a difference....
Yeah... my doberman is a big baby too if there is any possibility of himself (or just his feet) getting wet/cold. Many of our dogs here won't go out to pee if it's raining. Dobies are big babies!

I think taking her to the park more is a great idea! You could also add some more training sessions as they will mentally exhaust her. Do you have any doggy daycares in the area? I love those (work at one) as they are GREAT at tiring out dogs and socializing them with other dogs at the same time all while under the supervision of somebody knowledgeable in dog behavior.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dobermans are an active breed...especially a 5 months old puppy...they need lots of activity...both physical and mental stimulation...are you planning obediance classes with her? If the whole family can get involved, take turns..maybe between everyone, your dobergirl can get more "played out"...Can your kids play with her after school in the yard, etc...
By the way, I found that my doberboy got worse, especially between 1 and 2 with regards to his energy level and exercise/mental stimulation needs...If I didn't exercise him (like when I was sick with the flu)...he'd be very naughty...(ripping his bed up....shredding all the toilet paper in ALL the bathrooms....digging holes in the yard, etc..) but it was just from PENT UP ENERGY....the energy had to be burnt up somewhere so he made up his own games....
I found that little walks, especially short 15 min walks did nothing for my boy at that age...
As the saying goes, A tired dog is a good dog.....
There are some great threads on this site...some owners have mental stimulating toys, most owners recommend obediance/training, and exercise!

Wish you all the best...

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Hello from North York Ontario!

I keep my 3 1/2 month old pup in her crate every night which is in my bedroom next to my bed. I haven't really had issues with her in there aside from the occasional bathroom accident (which is likely my fault).
I ALWAYS keep a quiet toy in her cage to chew on. I make sure she's had lots of play and training time during the day, and also I do not allow her to nap when it's getting close to bed. I stop giving her water a couple hours before bed time as well so her need to pee isn't every 2 hours through the whole night (she only whines once during the night, and sometimes not at all)

This has been working for me.

My girl dislikes the winter weather, even with her jacket on she wants to go back in if not immediately, then after 10 or 15 minutes. So, I have to get her "beans" out inside the house for now. I generally play tug with her rope, throw a ball down the hallway, or, simply run around the house with her. I sneak in a training session while I play with her and a separate more personal training session in between. That way, she is leaning while having fun and also working off energy.

as TaniaShari said, a tired dog is a good dog.

·
Registered
463 Posts
First of all, i'd like to introduce myself - my name is Jennifer, I live in Scarborough Ontario. I'm married, a mom of three kids, (15 yr old step son, 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter)...

My children were very afraid of animals, and I was thinking of getting a dog for them in the summer as I couldn't even go to a relative or friends house who had a dog bc my daughter was so scared, and I thought that it would help with that, plus I really wanted a dog myself.

One month ago, my husband brought home an "early Christmas present". A 4 month old Doberman puppy which he named Phoenix. Because of poor reputation of this breed I was a little upset, but after doing some research (including here) I realized that I had no reason to be upset. She is good with the kids (who are NO LONGER SCARED of dogs - YAY) although she is a little hyper and going through a really mouthy stage - she "play bites" a lot, putting her mouth over your arm for example but never actually biting. Because of this I need to be on top of her to make sure she doesn't accidently hurt them, so they are never alone with her.

My only real concern with her is this - I no longer sleep at night. She barks all so much at night that it is starting to affect me at work. I get up at 4:30am for work, and I go to sleep at about 11. When I put her in the crate, I tell her to go to her bed and she does just fine. But she is up at around 1:30 and then at 3:30 or 4 barking non stop. I make sure she is taken out to pee before she is crated (sometimes this isnt till after 12 because I have some night owls living in my house!). When she wakes me up barking, I take her out to pee again because I'm worried that as a puppy, she can't and shouldn't hold her pee as long. But then she wakes up again a few hours later.

I can't leave her out because she isn't completely housetrained yet. The only night she slept right through was xmas eve, because we were at my moms and her crate was in the room with me. Should I consider moving the crate to my room, or does this create a bad habit?

Any advice? You all seem so knowledgable. Anything would help at this point, I need my sleep!
Firstly, welcome from Oshawa :).... We have a pup not too much older than yours, she will be 9 months this week. We have all been through these puppy situations and it does get better! You just need to be firm and do some crate training. There are lots of factors to consider here but you will have to figure out which one is the cause of her problems though.

One thing I will say though is that a 5 month old puppy has a pretty developed bladder and should not need to be taken out during the night. I remember getting up multiple times during the night when Scarlet was young cuz I didn't want her to mess in her crate. I remember my vet saying, "ok you can do that for a little while longer but after 16 weeks old she is just fooling you" so at about 17 - 18 weeks old I stopped letting her out, and let her bark her ass off for the new few nights where I got no sleep lol but she learned and guess what she held her bladder lol.

So my advice would be to let her potty before bed as normal, and then ignore her barking during the night. I can probably guarantee you after a few nights she will get the message she isn't being let out. As for moving her crate into your room, I wouldn't if you are going to let her bark and self sooth lol it will get noisy..

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, I can also recommend some great training facilities in the area. I have gone to a few places!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah has slept many places as a puppy. She only slept in her crate with the door shut maybe the first two nights she was home at 9 weeks. She alternated sleeping with my daughters, sometimes with me on the couch and never pee'd in the bed. She was able to hold it all night. Now that my daughters have gotten older. Kyrah's crate is right next to my bed. I guess you could call it my nightstand. She sleeps there with the door open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I took Phoenix to the dog park yesterday late afternoon in hopes of getting all her energy out and getting some sleep last night. My 7 year old son and I shivered our butts off while she ran around with the other dogs for about 45 mins. It was nice to see her interact with the other dogs because at first she was very nervous around them, she's getting better.

She was definitely tired when we came home - so tired she didn't eat dinner, and passed out at my feet at 7pm! I couldn't get her to do ANYTHING - she'd wake for a min when my son tried to play with her and then back to sleep she went! LOL The good news is, she slept till 5am, and by that time I was already awake getting ready for work. (or maybe I was just so tired that I didn't hear her barking).

Thanks arankin for the advice that she likely doesn't need to go during the night. I was worried that if I wasn't taking her out to pee, she'd be uncomfortable, but knowing that she should be ok will make it easier on me to be able to try to sleep thru the barking. I just feel bad for my neighbours. I'll definitely pm you re: training in the area later on when I'm free :)

Thanks again for all the good advice to everyone. My son and I are going to brave the cold at the dog park again tonight, and I'll try to keep her awake a bit longer as well as Dave L suggested and we'll see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts