Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We just got a 8-week old puppy: Phoebe.
This is our first dobe puppy, and we will need help training her.

We are looking to do obedience and agility.
Can anyone suggest trainers in San Diego area that will not charge an arm and a leg?

Thank you!

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
All of my very favorite trainers work at the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy, an online dog training school started by a fantastic trainer named Denise Fenzi (who happens to live in your area, but spends most of her time in her online classes these days). You have to be pretty self-motivated to make the online thing work, and you have to find other opportunities to take your pup out into the big wide world, since the online training is done mostly at home. But, if you are open to the idea, they have a lot of classes suitable for all ability levels. Classes start every 2 months — the next session begins Oct. 1. There's a class running in December that I would recommend for you especially: Performance Fundamentals.

Anyhow, classes are $65-$$260, depending on your level of enrollment, for a 6-week session. For $260, you can submit weekly videos of you and your pup and you'll receive individualized feedback from your instructor. For $65, you can "audit" the class. You'll have access to the lectures and assignments, and you'll be able to view other students' videos, but you won't be able to submit any of your own.

Good luck, have fun :)

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Super Moderator
21,280 Posts
As much as I like Fenzi, I would really recommend in person classes for a pup - they need the experiences of being out in the world. All puppies should start with a "puppy kindergarten" type of class, where they have some early socialization and handling, the start of some basic training, some play time with other puppies, etc. I like this link to start looking for trainers: Certified Dog Trainer Directory - CCPDT

Personally, cost is the least of my worries - I want someone who is a great trainer, a good support system, and is going to build great foundation skills for my dog. This is a critical time for puppies and you really want to do things right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts