Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Untitled - YouTube

he is 13 weeks old with his ears done for almost 3 1/2 weeks now... i have had his ears out of the rack for about a week. they were great for like 4 days and now they kind of tip inward when he perks them up to hear things or when he plays... however when he relaxes them they stand straight up. i just wanted you guys to see this and tell me if i should repost them up or if this is just what will happen if he is just perking them up. i figure he went through the pain so it better be justified with nice ears. poor guy... i know this is a short crop job but thats what i wanted. what do you guys think?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Keep posting. A week is not long enough and they are still 'flippy-floppy'. Since you asked for opinions...Not a fan of the crop. Way too short for a Doberman head. But it's your dog and as long as you're happy with it, that's what matters.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
It looks like you have pockets in both ears. Keep posting and rather than posting straight up, post at an angle from the head, like the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. Make sure you have the ear stretched tight along the post and you may want to use a bumper as well, to straighten out those pockets.

There is a lot of information here on DT with regard to posting ears. Use the search feature and start reading. :)

Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like you have pockets in both ears. Keep posting and rather than posting straight up, post at an angle from the head, like the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. Make sure you have the ear stretched tight along the post and you may want to use a bumper as well, to straighten out those pockets.

There is a lot of information here on DT with regard to posting ears. Use the search feature and start reading. :)

Welcome to DT!
thanks alot! i plan on doing alot of research... i was just wondering what to do cause if you see the video they touch when he is perkin them up but when he relaxes they sit good... i was just hoping for insight on what to do... and i got it! thanks!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You mentioned a rack? You need to repost using pipe insulation or tampons. You've got major pockets going on. Put the post deep in the ear and really pull the ear up along the post and tape it that way. Perhaps if you put your location, there may be a more experienced person who can help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First the short crop looks good! Second you need to POST for at least another month or 2. I wouldnt let them out of post more then 1-2 hours at this point. Definitly use bumpers, i made my bumpers shaped like a shim, thick at the bottom to skinny nothing at top. If you got any questions PM me, posting is ALOT easier then people thinks!

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
The best thing you can do is find someone who is good at posting ears near you and have them show you how to post them. It is a very short crop and will stand fast, but they do have pockets in them right now and you should fix that.

If you can tell us where you are located, maybe someone could help.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im in buffalo, ny. so i posted them up right after i posted this video. basicly i rolled up paper towels REAL tight and wrapped them up with soft medical tape. then i stuck them deep into his ears and taped from top to bottom while holding the ear tight... i just took them down about 30 minutes ago (they were posted for 3 1/2 days) and decided to post a new video and pics for you guys to see... i wish i could really sit on the computer and just research the crap out of this but i have limited time with internet. so here is todays video and pics for you guys

Untitled - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they stand up like crazy... very stiff standing up. maybe repost them and put a bridge in to push them apart a bit? like at 10 oclock and 2 oclock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anything guys? iv had them down since i got home about 4 1/2 hours ago and they still look great and not folding in at all... even with him pulling them up when i call his name they dont touch... are the "pockets" im looking at even pockets? or are they natural creases? i would love if his ears looked like they do now all the time. i just dont want them to curl inward...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't know much about the short crop but I know with medium crop which is what my puppy has that when he was that age they shouldn't be left out that long.

I wouldn't put a bridge in. We had one and it actually cause his ears to touch each other and trust me you don't want that. It's a pain to get out. They look much better then they did in that first video you had some serious pockets there.

They should have a natural crease but not a really deep one. When his ears were tipping over like they were in the first video that was pockets. I'm not used to how you post because I don't use paper towels but we tape similar. Make sure you continue to tape and 10 and 2 and make sure to pull the ears up so that they don't form pockets again. Keep posting. I'm not sure how long a short crop like that takes but my guess is your not done yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i did repost them right after my last post last night... i taped them up a bit tighter and with no bridge... i pushed the posts way down into his ear... and pulled the ear up and taped it from the base all the way to the top... i will post pics just a bit later of my newer post job when my wife gets home with the camera:D please hold tight with my guys... i know its a pain to deal with a newb but i am willing to learn anything and soon hopefully become a teacher to other newbs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok here are some pics of the post job. i know it doesnt look the cleanest job ever but it will work to hold and its tight but not too tight to hurt him or cut off blood to his ears. i used 1/4 wood dowel wrapped with paper towel and then fabric tape...

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Putting wood or anything solid in your pup's ears is dangerous- he could run his ears into a wall or the ground and do some very serious damage to himself.

Please have a look at our posting thread :) it has wonderful directions on a very good method of posting. That being said, the ears are in a good position to avoid pockets.. keep them like that and you should be in good shape.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

Cute boy you have though, can't wait for more pictures.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Wood is a bad idea. I'd switch over to the method on here it's what most people do. I've used this method since I got my puppy but without bumpers. Don't wrap too tight or you'll cut off circulation in the ear and could loose the ear. Keep trying! You'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Putting wood or anything solid in your pup's ears is dangerous- he could run his ears into a wall or the ground and do some very serious damage to himself.

Please have a look at our posting thread :) it has wonderful directions on a very good method of posting. That being said, the ears are in a good position to avoid pockets.. keep them like that and you should be in good shape.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

Cute boy you have though, can't wait for more pictures.
ok guys! the wood is out! i just thought it would keep them stiffer however i never thought what would happen if he had an accident! thanks so much! he is such a good boy and i would hate to hurt him!

i should keep his ears up for 4 or 5 days?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
ok guys! the wood is out! i just thought it would keep them stiffer however i never thought what would happen if he had an accident! thanks so much! he is such a good boy and i would hate to hurt him!

i should keep his ears up for 4 or 5 days?
Baker rod method is much better and safer for him.

Yes 4-5 days is fine. In the very beginning I had to do Diesel's every 2 days but that was cause he had a lot going on with his ears but then we we're going usually 5 days but I always based on how how he was doing with it or if he was playing in dirt I'd take them out so I could clean his ears. Just watch him but no longer then 6-7 days and make sure to clean them in between each posting :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
In terms of how long to keep his ears posted--
1. His ears are shorter, so they will probably stand quicker.
2. Around the time of teething, ears tend to sag even if they were standing before. You should expect that there is a good possibility that you will need to start posting again for a little while at around 5-6 months.
3. I always continue posting for 2-3 weeks AFTER I think the job is done. After all that money and bother, a week or two more is no big deal in the long run.

Here's the link to a thread from our educational archives showing a good method of posting. Just leave off the vet wrap (if you're not used to working with it, it can stretch and then tighten--which can lead to cut off circulation and loss of ear tissue). You can use a bit more of your athletic tape or medical tape, whatever you are using, to take its place, if you'd like.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I change Callie's posts every 4 days and let her ears air out for about an hour then clean them out really well with a drop of tea tree oil on a cotton ball- I only clean what I can see, no sticking anything down her ears. Just to get the gunky stuff off :) plus the tea tree oil smells better than ear wax, and is anti-bacterial... double points!

I skip the vet wrap step, and just use med tape I picked up from Target. One strip at the top, one in the middle, and one at the very bottom as close to the skull as it'll get. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and even easier if you can rope someone into holding that wiggly puppy while you do it.

Let us know if you run into any issues! You've got a fantastic knowledge base here :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts