Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Socialite Dobe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my blue female, appox 1 year young, about 2 months ago. Like all Dobe owners I think I have the best dog in the world and I just want the best for her. She is super happy in her new forever home, no personality or behavior issues what so ever :)

Trying to figure out feeding while wanting to keep it simple, and I think she has sensitive skin...

I was being stupid and tried the cheap flea and tick med from Target, she reacted by chewing and scratching her back all along her spin. Wounds have healed, its been a month, hair is growing back. Now I am too afraid to put any flea and tick med on her, THOUGHTS?

Her armpits got raw from the harness and she has a bunch of bumps in pits, but they dont seem to bother her. Per threads here I am wiping her with ACV/water mix and rubbing a little aloe on. THOUGHTS?

I am now finding little pimple like bumps randomly on her body, they too dont seem to bother her and there arent many of them. THOUGHTS?

She is itchy and dandery, I thought maybe bc she was a stray and at an adoption place, but I thought with good food and fish oil that would be clear by now...THOUGHTS?

I currently feed her TOTW (was informed bags at that store are ok???), fish oil caps, sardines (as of 3 days ago now), peanut butter/pumpkin/sweet potatoes/coconut oil stuffed in Kong as treats. I would be able to feed raw if TOTW is not good, interested in the dehydrated varieties to save $.

I understand Blue Dobes have extra sensitive skin. I dont care if she goes totally or partially bald, I just want her as health as she can be bc I want her in my life as long as possible.

I would love any helpful tips or ideas on feeding and care of skin. I prefer a more holistic approach.

Frances and Javelin

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
She is a little young, but I would have a full panel thyroid test run as a lot of dilutes do have low thyroids. I use Ivomec for heartworms, fleas, ticks and worming. If you have heavy flea infestation, you would need additional protection. Bath every two weeks with Nova Pearls or similar mild, not oatmeal, shampoo in cool, not warm water. Rub with lay of hair to prevent breaking off hair. Rinse, rinse, rinse and final rinse of 1 cup ACV to 1 gal water, leave it on and dry. Use ACV spray in between baths. Dehydrated food are not cheaper. Raw is best, but you must know what you are doing or you can do harm to your dog. Orijen 6fish is best for dogs with skin problems, imo. I would rotate among other Orijen and grainfree Acana and Natures Variety Instinct foods. Use 3 or 4 different formulas to rotate, using the 6fish as her main formula. Use sardinds packed in water, cut around or pop tin, drain, rinse, drain, rinse and drain again. I used 1 can a day for 2 wks, cut back to 1 fish morning and nite to maintain.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You know, my boy weighs 81 lbs, so you should be able to get by with less than a can a day to start, maybe 3 or even 2 fish. You do want to monitor water consumption. If she begins drining too much, cut out sardines till drinking returns to normal and restart and maintain on smaller dose. Since you are using coconut oil, you can probably get by on 1 to 1 1/2 sardines a day. You do need to only use cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. I just dont see a lot from coconut oil for Parker for some reason. He seems to get the most good out of sardines. Oh yes, an egg two or three times a week is very good. I boil them, but you can give raw. Organic eggs from free range chickens are the very best.

·
Socialite Dobe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for all your tips!

So I realized I totally mis-calculated the amount of dehydrated I would need and its not less expensive. Still considering frozen patties, maybe 1 meal a day and the other a good kibble.

We have a vet appt on tues so Ill be sure to ask for the tests. How are thyroid problems treated?

Why is too much water a bad? Fish makes them drink more?

Is bathing bi-weekly necessary or optional?

Is flea and tick necessary? Am I being too risky not using it? I did buy Frontline from vet but too nervous to use if I dont have to. Where do dogs get fleas from and if she gets a tick cant I just remove it right away? Will ACV help keep bugs off?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Low thyroid is treated with thyroid suppliments, which are realatively cheap. Remember FULL thyroid panel is what you need. The salt in sardines can be too much. That is why rinsing and water monitoring is very important. Excess water can leach needed minerals from your dog. I dont remember the details of how it works, but you can google it. If your girl itches, she might have allergies and you need to keep the dirt and pollen off of her. Also, you said she was breaking out, so you need to keep her skin clean. Dilutes need some extra work to keep their skin healthy. Does she lick her feet much? If you dont have a flea problem, you dont have to use a preventative. Yes, you can pull ticks off. Slow, steady pulling to make them release...dont jerk and risk leaving the head. Fleas can be picked up anywhere dogs or cats have been. Yes, spraying with ACV will help to keep fleas off. Some on here say giving MSM helps dilute hair growth. Always check with your vet about any suppliments.

·
Socialite Dobe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thank you!

I dont see her lick her feet at all, but yes she does itch. Im going to switch her over to raw, I believe the benefits outweigh the cost.

Thanks again for your help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts