Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Danielle. I am a new Dobie owner, I got my baby girl in Oct she was 10 weeks old. She is now 8 months old. I originally was not at all interested in having a doberman. My boyfriend got her for me for my birthday and I absolutely love her. She is so lovable and cuddly, and VERY loyal and not to mention how intelligent she is. Tho, my biggest problem with her is she loves to chew....everything, especially my 4 year old sons shoes.

I think she is getting ready to come into heat. I plan on breeding her she is absolutely gorgeous, I've had many people including my vet (who loves her to pieces, and he used to breed dobes) constantly tell me how pretty she is and how unique her markings are. :-D Oh did I mention she is my 70 lbs lap dog?!? LOL What is a normal weight for a female dobe at her age?

Attachments

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, welcome to DT!

Now, what do you know about breeding? What do you know about your girl and her lines? What do you know about dobes in general?

You really should read the manifesto here. We're a very passionate community and are ridiculously supportive of only ethical breeding practices. I hope you get a chance to read it and I hope that you stick around.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Be sure to check out the link in my signature line as to what is involved with being an ethical, responsible breeder. It involves a little more than having a gorgeous dobe :)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT, also from Michigan. Please, please do some reading -- breeding is a lot of expense and a lot of work. We would love to see some more pictures of your girl.

Reactions: JasmynMaree072911

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Re. - I got my little girl when she was 10 weeks old she is going to be 8 months tomorrow. Any Suggestions for her?

Please stick around and absorb much, like a sponge...and WELCOME, from Ontario Canada.
Hope your not considering breeding a very young dober girl...she is still, just a child.
- extensive health testing and showing, would be a good start...much to learn first, before one decides, to breed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:Breeding

Oh NO!! I am not breeding her till around 2. I planned on doing a lot of research, and making sure its worth it, more over if its healthy for her. She is my pride and I do not want to harm her at all! I've already started going outside with her when she goes out. I do not let her leave my sight!

One of the big questions I have, do dobes like to swim??
My girl is so friendly and we go camping quite often, I hope to be able to take her out on the lake with us?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Hi Danielle
Welcome to DT.

70#'s for an 8 month old female seems like a lot to me also what is unique about her markings? From your pictures they look like normal dobe markings.

Dobermans are the best breed out there and your description of her sounds just like my 2

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
70 lbs. seems right, for an adult FM...mine was 65-72#, for several years...don't know about weight at 8 months old though.

Some dobes love to swim, both mine didn't...I am not a water person either.
I would introduce my next dobe to water, wearing a life jacket...I think...as a confidence booster.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Does she have a WZ in her reg. number? Are you going to check her hips?
What makes her so special ? Just because shes pretty? How about VonW? any of that in her lines? How about DCM ? Hows her thyroid ?What about the pups..are you going to crop all of them or sell them as is? Do you have enough experience to help prospective buyers get thru all the bumps in the road with posting?

I really like your enthusiasm, and love of your dog, and I am sure she is pretty, all dogs are. And heck for a " momma" to think her baby is ugly, well...that just doesnt happen.

But frankly I think you are going into this with the wrong thinking. You want to breed her because she is pretty.
All reputable breeders out there put time time time in researching their lines, trying to pass on the best traits and weed out the weaknesses. Their goal is to usually better the breed and make it stronger, physically, mentally, etc etc.
You might as well sell the pups on the corner of a WalMart parking lot.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Remember when she does come in heat she needs to be watched at all times and it lasts for about 3 weeks you can get her some pants to wear so your house will not get drips all over.Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,442 Posts
Oh boy here we go. First welcome to DT. Please understand what this community is about regarding the doberman. Some people have already offered valuable advice. Please listen.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome from Virginia!

Please, read up on breeding, there is so much more to breeding than just thinking your girl is beautiful. There are some "beautiful" dobermans out there, but some that should not be bred for one reason or another, ex health reasons - especially if you are not completely aware of her health and very knowledgable of her lines and the potential sire's lines - you really do need to be knowledgable in what you are doing. Alot of testing such as VWD, thryoid, hips, heart etc. before any breeding should even be considered.

Breeding is not cheap (usually breeders are lucky to break even) and its ALOT of work!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Welcome also from Michigan! And congrats on being owned by a Doberman. What part of MI are you from? I am near Detroit. I have 2 females who are total clowns.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
As you have already learned, your Doberman will change your life.

They really are so special. Hard to believe they are lap dogs when their reputation claims they are vicious. I'm so glad you are enjoying your girl.

We have a few friends with Dobes as well and we often go to the cottage. The girls like to swim, but my Garthy didn't really like to get his "equipment" wet so he just waded out above his knees.

Keep showing your girl lots of love and patience. She will need plenty of guidance and praise to grow up to be a good Doberman. If you are like the rest of us, she will really be the light if your life.

If I may add, give the breeding some thought. We went through one heat cycle with Chaos, as we had originally considered breeding her to Garth. Both come from exceptional German lines. After a week of non-stop howling, drooling, dripping, foaming, 2 frantic dogs and 2 sleepless parents, we decided it was not for our family. They are our pets, and if we really needed another pup of the same lineage we would go back to that breeder.

Enjoy your girl!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome to the site. Please don't breed your dog just because she's pretty. Do full health testing, confirmation or working, and research!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts