Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my sewing skills are improving a bit. Today I whipped up this coat for Shanoa. Simon "helpfully" chewed up the neck of Shanoa's red coat (while she was wearing it, of course!). So, I cut that coat into pieces and picked up some new fleece and copied the coat into a pattern. It turned out pretty well! The neck is a bit big, and it's a tiny bit longer than I intended, but overall not too bad!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That looks really good. I've never seen a coat close on the top like that just on the belly i like it :D

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Great job - looks good on her!

Jan

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks really good. I've never seen a coat close on the top like that just on the belly i like it :D
It's a little bit harder to get on because they have to step into it, but I really like the fit. It's very similar to a Fido Fleece.

Reactions: vivienne00

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Good going! I especially like the great coverage of her belly, hind end and hind legs at the top.

What am I going to ask? Pattern used & size you chose??? Please?

I saw a pattern for leggings for small dogs...to knit. I'm trying to resist the concept.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good going! I especially like the great coverage of her belly, hind end and hind legs at the top.

What am I going to ask? Pattern used & size you chose??? Please?

I saw a pattern for leggings for small dogs...to knit. I'm trying to resist the concept.
I literally cut apart the coat Simon ruined and cut the pattern from that. If you want, I would be happy to trace another for you and mail it to you. It's not a very professional pattern but it's very easy to put together. If you want it, PM me with your address and I'll drop one in the mail for you.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
You did a great job. I am not convinced it is cheaper to make them since I can't seem to get on demand cheap fleece around here - Joann's charges an arm and a leg.

I made this one last year by copying the pattern on this one I bought from Cozy Coats ($37.99 + SH to buy 4 legged chap style like I bought):
http://cozycoatsandmore.com/pajamas.html:

Made this one:

Copied this one:

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did a great job. I am not convinced it is cheaper to make them since I can't seem to get on demand cheap fleece around here - Joann's charges an arm and a leg.

I made this one last year by copying the pattern on this one I bought from Cozy Coats ($37.99 + SH to buy 4 legged chap style like I bought):
http://cozycoatsandmore.com/pajamas.html:
I got some plain fleece at JoAnn Fabric for $5 a yard, so it probably cost me only $10 for this coat (the velcro is pricey). Not too bad. I wonder if there are good places to buy fleece online?

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I got some plain fleece at JoAnn Fabric for $5 a yard, so it probably cost me only $10 for this coat (the velcro is pricey). Not too bad. I wonder if there are good places to buy fleece online?
Yes, the bones on black was cheaper than the rest, but I needed jersey for the legs and the neck and to make a band around the chap area. No velcro needed though. I pick up his jammies and Yoda comes on over and sits so I can put his head thru the hole, then I put my hand thru the leg and draw each front leg thru. Then stand him up and draw the back legs thru. He loves them.

I think you can get cheaper fleece online. I saw it once in passing and said "there it is!" and promptly lost the site.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
200 Posts
The day after Thanksgiving, JoAnn's has ridiculously good sales on fleece. (Or at least, they have the past two years.) I bought really cute, good quality fleece (and flannel) for $2-3/yd. It's never been too crowded when I've gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts