Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Apologies if it is in the wrong place.I have searched previous topics but could not see anything.

I have a 12 month old doberman called Luther. He is not my first dog but is my first Dobe (owned Border Collies before). He is coming on really well with his training and I love his company.

Anyway to get to the point:) I live in the UK in a beautiful and rural location. I like to explore and take Luther on long country walks in new and different locations. He seems to enjoy it too!Yesterday we parked the car in a different place, in the hills and walked for about 30 minutes, we had not seen a soul (no cars around). I then saw a footpath into the woods and led Luther down it. As we got a couple of minutes into it he stood stock still, head low and started to growl really low. He would not move (he was on the lead at this stage - until I make sure there are no wild ponies around).I was not sure what to do, being a single woman alone it did spook me a bit, so I turned around and we walked back the other way.

He was fine on the rest of the walk, trotted on and running off lead as though nothing at happened. I am curious as to what may have caused this behaviour and whether I should have carried on walking? We walk in woods alot, so I don't think it was the environment. I could not see or hear anything that may have caused it. By turning around am I in danger of leading him to believe he determines where we go? It was the first instance so I am probably overreacting (I do over-analyse:D).

Would appreciate views. In terms of other behaviour, he is a bit 'guardy' in the garden (we have a field next to us and he will bark if anyone comes near our fence) but he has not displayed any aggression to dogs or people. He is friendly to both on meeting. Likewise when encountering new situations when out and about e.g. when he first heard shooting of game, he will move and stand right in front of me but not react.

Just interested in what people think as I have not come across this before.

Thanks

Ruth x
PS Pic of my boy when 7 months

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If something caused my dogs to react like that, I probably would turn around too. I trust there judgement ;) esp if it was out of the norm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If something caused my dogs to react like that, I probably would turn around too. I trust there judgement ;) esp if it was out of the norm.
Thanks - Yes it was the first time. He has not done anything like that when walking with my OH either...will see if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My 11 month old does that when he is suspicious of something in the woods, might have been some sort of animal he's never smelt before. I trust my dogs judgment when he does that so I think you did the right thing and I don't think he was trying to do that to get his way on where he wants to go. Typically a well balanced dobe is going to follow us where ever we go and its in their instincts to alert us and protect us from anything they see as dangerous.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Cute pup. Trust your dogger--he sounds sensible and well-socialized. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Ruth - Congrats, Luther just graduated into the $100,000 DOBER VALUE CLUB....using his natural god given instincts.:nicejob:

Many people will WANT what Luther did simply out of shear LOVE (for his Mama), in the forest...never second guess him.
Encourage instead and be flexible, welcome his agenda.
- just on the TV news, 10 minutes ago, a rapist was just picked up for beating the living F*** out a beautiful young woman
- big black eye and stitches, to close up her nasty split lip...O'h, did I mention a repeat sex offender...that should have his "manhood sack" cut out / get the picture !!
TRUST/TRUST/TRUST your dober boy...your not loosing leadership or alpha status...for one second / just building a stronger & gifted bond....value his direction & lead.

Our old girl Amy is the same way, she won't let any harm come to her immediate family members.
- I would trust her with my life, she also has tons of privileges and one as simple as walking out the side door, ahead of her Dad...she earned it, 1000x over
- this does not mean, my dobe thinks any less of me...I am the pack leader, till the time she dies & I treat her every minute of the day...LIKE MY EQUAL
LutherLune - Your in a canine partnership now...go with the flow & enjoy !!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Trust your dog. You may not have been able to see or hear anything, but he did.

I live in a secluded area, to be honest I can go weeks without seeing anyone if I don't leave my mountain top and I like it this way. Saying that I have had occassion to listen to my boy several times simply because he can hear, see, smell so much better than I could ever hope. Allow me to tell you of one instance. When my pup was just 9 momths he began barking one time towards an old tree stump, I thought he was being silly, but when I looked I saw a man was hiding behind it.
Thus began the local nutters stalking of me when he sees me out and about. Now my boy warns me if he is around and because of I am no longer in danger of being startled or worse. My stalker doesnt like the fact my dogs (I have 3) all set up barking and growling if they see him lurking, but neither do I like the fact that he shadows my every move when I am out for a walk. The police wont do anything until he does something they think worthy of their interest. (god only knows what he must do to peek that) so I am left to thank my lucky stars that I have a Dobe and 2 Terriers who have my safety in mind.

If it happens again, tell him he is such a good boy and walk another way. Better to be safe than sorry or worse..

Handsome boy by the way. Toby and I would love to see more pics of him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all - we are getting to know each other well and my instinct was to trust his judgement. I will continue to do so. They are amazing dogs.
Please find some recent pictures as requested, taken a few weeks ago before his 1st birthday.

You will notice a bit of a theme....he loves when he gets playtime! I am really proud of him:D

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
What a handsome Dober! And a good boy too, from what you wrote. Always, always trust your dog. My first Dobe, Logan, did that while we were walking in town. Just stopped me right before we went down this one street and growled. So yes, I took another way home. I still don't know what was up, and I never will, but his sense of smell and hearing is a million times better than mine. I'd rather trust him than take a chance and run into trouble.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
He is a handsome boy. Good boy Luther. Dobermans are personal protection dogs and he was doing what he's bred to do. Trust him. It probably was a squirrel but it could have been an unsavory person lurking. Since you walked a while after you turned around I doubt he thinks he's deciding how far to walk.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
He's a handsome young man. An alert, protective dog will just give you (and the perceived interloper) a little warning that he's aware that something or someone (could be a deer or another dog or anything he doesn't expect) is in his radar... if he's normally social, take his cue. Just be sure to keep socializing him to other dogs and people, so he doesn't become overly suspicious or nervous about those situations. Dogs tend to be much better judges of character than we are!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
He looks so much like my old boy Daims it takes my breath away! (except Daims was docked). He sounds wonderful too. Trust him, these boys can be very good judges of what is 'right' or not ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He looks so much like my old boy Daims it takes my breath away! (except Daims was docked). He sounds wonderful too. Trust him, these boys can be very good judges of what is 'right' or not ;)
He is a beautiful dog, his mum is an imported dobermann from serbian/brazilian heritage and she was mated with Champion Sired Baron Nike Betelges (also out of Serbian/Slovakia I believe) - he was one of 13 puppies.....that was a difficult choice for me to make:D

He is quite a big dog, who still thinks he can sit on my lap!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Daims was from German, Dutch & Belgium lines (Ebo Vd Groote Maat, Ali von Langenhorst line breeding)...Ebo was his G.Granfather on his dam's side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts