Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soliciting help from all DT members.

I am trying to organize a list of books recommended by DTers which would become a thread/section in the Doberman archives. I’m looking for your recommendations of books about dogs, but that’s not quite all I need from you. This is what you can do:

First, post on this thread the title and author/s. I would also like you to tell me, if the book is NOT readily available, where you can get it (in the case of limited publishing,--self-published or vanity press). Then I would like you to pick one or two categories from those below where you think the book fits—you’ve read the book, I may not have, so I have to rely on you for that.

Additionally, If you would like, you could give your rating of from one to five stars for the book; if you’re very ambitious, you can give me a short blurb/discussion of what you think makes the book special, or what it has to offer to DTers.

Here are the categories:

• Basic General Dog books
• Specific Doberman breed books
• Health and Feeding
• Breeding/Puppy Raising

• Obedience and Household Living Skills
• Fun Tricks and Games for Your Dog
• Problem Behavior Management
• Dog Psychology and Interactions with People
• Rescue/Shelter/Specific Behavior Concerns With the Adopted Dog

• Search and Rescue, Military and Law Enforcement
• Service and Therapy Dogs

• Conformation Showing
• Obedience for Competition
• Protection Sports (European and American)
• Other Sports—rally, agility, fly ball, dock diving, tracking, etc.

• Doberman Publications

I plan to:

1. Transfer your recommendations to a list giving title, author and our rating (I think a DT rating would be more valuable than the rating I can pull off of Amazon or another book list—we know more!).

2. On the same page, include a short summary (most likely condensed from Amazon).

3. Additionally, I’d like to link each book to its appropriate sales page with Amazon.

4. I would also like to link each book to reviews WE give for that book.

Right now, I am compiling books from the thread in the archives about favorite obedience books. I hope to have that up and accessible soon, but I think I can start right now and and post a thread calling for recommendations from all of you for your favorite books.

At any time, if you see a book already on the list that you would like to rate or review—feel free to post it on this thread. If you think it belongs in a different category, say so—no reason it can’t be in two categories at once. Don't be discouraged if it takes me a little while to process all of this!! I hope I can keep up—I really have no idea how this will work, or if we will run into some strange snafus, so please bear with me and this experiment. THX

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Dog Psychology: If A Dog's Prayers Were Answered...Bones Would Rain From the Sky Suzanne Clothier

Rather than simply trying to "train" animals to behave in a certain way, Clothier focuses on improving the existing relationship between pet and owner. To help readers gain some insights into more effective training, Clothier offers anecdotes about her clients. Particularly important is the dog's connection to the owner and the ability of the two to communicate effectively: "In each moment that you are with the dog, you must be aware, gently and persistently shifting the balance toward one of mutual agreement and cooperation. This is not easy, and it requires some thought. Most of all, it requires a desire to create-over and over again-the event of quality, which in turn creates a heartfelt commitment to truly being with the dog." (Amazon.com: Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs (9780446525930): Suzanne Clothier: Books)

I love this book. As someone who grew up considering her horses and dogs the best people I knew (still do :)) its so refreshing to read a book aimed at better understanding of the animal perspective. This book forces you to take a step out of your own confusion or frustration at road blocks in training and attempt to see what the dog may be perceiving as confusing or frustrating coming from you. We tend to be ready to blame the dog for not getting something but we can hardly expect them to be experts in understanding us without us giving any concerted effort to understand them.

·
Super Moderator
26,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BRW!

Just to clarify--if the book is listed on Amazon, I can use their summary/review, probably just a sentence or two from it, which will probably go on the first page listing. That will be just a general description of the book for the person scanning the list--not Amazon's ratings (they might be different from ours!) You folks don't need to copy it over for me--I'll be digging up their site to link to it anyway.

IF one of you wants to write up a review of your own, that will go on our DT review page.
I'm doing it this way because I don't know how many of us will want to bother with writing up a review, but I do want some kind of information about each book which is easily accessible.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
health and feeding:

Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale
Raw Meaty Bones

5 stars. Excellent book for newbie's looking to make the switch to a raw diet. Language is very easy to understand, not too technical.

This is the first book my SO and I read when we were investigating a raw diet for our boys.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The power of Positive dog training - 5 stars
The other end of the leash - 5 stars

I am currently reading for the love of a Dog - not done yet

Reactions: melbrod

·
Premium Member
8,772 Posts
Already mentioned but worth another:

The Other End of the Leash - and uggghhh can't find my copy of it!! Available on Amazon.com last time I looked. An excellent book on dog/animal behavior that stays interesting unlike some other books that I started and fell asleep over!

Dog owners Home Veterinary Handbook - Excellent reference book for any dog owners library. Prob available on Amazon.

The Doberman Pinscher:Brains and Beauty - a really good book to have for anyone but especially for people new to the breed. Again Amazon - but might also still be in book stores.

Doberman Pinchers - Nicholas. This book is renowned for its pictures and info about breeders ... both past and present. It is out of print ... might be able to find one on ebay.

There are many others, but personally I read for entertainment for the most part so don't have a huge dog library - some books I have are good, some are too boring to mention - LOL!

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
The Truth About Dogs by Stephen Budiansky
Covenant Of The Wild: Why Animals Chose Domestication by Stephen Budiansky
The Intelligence Of Dogs by Stanely Coren (all of the books by this author are great even if some of the experimental data seems suspect)

I am drawing a blank on authors and titles for others at the moment... I will have to dig around in the bookshelf later and post some more.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Control unleashed by Leslie mcdavitt

Helped a bunch with Perrin's focus and relaxation around exciting situation.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The Book of The Bitch - JM Evans & Kay White (to go in the breeding/raising puppies category).

Written by experts, this book is relevant to both the experienced breeder and the novice bitch owner and also serves as a comprehensive guide to those considering owning a bitch. Whether or not you intend to breed, the more you understand about how bitches function, think and learn, the more pleasure your bitch is likely to give you and the happier and healthier she will be. For those interested in breeding a litter, the procedure for whelping and puppy rearing is carefully explained. Most importantly, the book contains detailed advice on how to recognise the signs of sickness and those diseases to which bitches are prone and what action to take.
I have never bred a litter, and taking breeding out of the picture completely, this book has proved invaluable as a learning tool. My first (family) dog was a bitch, but since I have had boys. I feel much better about owning a bitch with this handy guide now. :) It is a great book for anyone with a bitch or thinking of getting a bitch. Now, where's the manual for the boys? XD I would give this at least 4.5 out of 5 stars, everyone who owns a bitch should own this book as well!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
A great book that I love is "How to Speak Dog". It does not tell you how to have a convo with your dog or anything silly like that. What it does do is go into in depth body language of a dog. How wolves communicate with each other through body language....and how we can mimic a little. It was one of the best books I read. I bought it when I worked for the Nature Company (before it became the Discovery Channel Store).

·
Registered
841 Posts
Category:
~Problem Behavior Management
~Dog Psychology and Interactions with People​

Book Name: Don't Shoot the Dog

Author: Karen Pyror

Amazon Link: Don't Shoot The Dog - Link

Short Summary (From Amazon):
"In the course of becoming a renowned dolphin trainer, Karen Pryor learned that positive reinforcement (the only kind useable with dolphins, who can't be reached with leashes, bridles, fists, or yells) is even more potent that prior scientific work had suggested. . .This new book looks like the very best on the subject--a full-scale mind-changer."--Stewart Brand, The Coevolution Quarterly . --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Product Description
Whatever the task, whether keeping a four-year-old quiet in public, housebreaking a puppy, coaching a team, or memorizing a poem, it will go fast, and better, and be more fun, if you know how to use reinforcement."--Karen Pryor.

Now Karen Pryor clearly explains the underlying principles of behavioral training and through numerous fascinating examples reveals how this art can be applied to virtually any common situation. And best of all, she tells how to do it without yelling threats, force, punishment, guilt trips--or shooting the dog. 8 methods for putting an end to all kinds of undesirable behavior. The 10 laws of "shaping" behavior--for results without strain or pain through "affection training." How to combat your own addictions to alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, overheating or whatever, how to deal with such difficult problems as a moody spouse, an impossible teen, or an aged parent. Plus. . .House training the dog, improving your tennis game, keeping the cat off the table, and much more! --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Rating: Excellent.

It took me forever to decide to read this book, I think it was because of the title. A huge error on my part because this is an outstanding book. It includes tons of interesting stories, not just about dogs, that support theories discussed. I highly recommend this book to everyone, it provides a different perspective for handling the many annoying situations presented on a daily basis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Complete Doberman
by Milo G. Denlinger

It is First Edition, 1953. This hardcover book has beautiful images of stamps from around the world with dogs on them inside the front and back cover. The pages with photos contain black and white pictures from some of dogs that made the breed what it is today.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have an extensive library and just listed the books that I have personally read and found to be helpful.

• Problem Behavior Management
Aggression In Dogs by Brenda Aloff ****
Chill Out Fido! How To Calm Your Dog by Nan Kene Arthur ****
Click To Calm by Emma Parsons ****
Control Unleashed by Lesllie McDevitt *****
Fiesty Fido, Help For The Leash-Reactive Dog by Patricia McConnel & Kan London
Focus NOt Fear by Ali Brown ****
Get Connected With Your Dog by Brenda Aloff ****
Help For Your Fearful Dog by Nicole Wilde ***
On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas ****
Scaredy Dog Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog by Ali Brown
The Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell

• Training for Competition
Dog Training With The Touch by Tom Rose and Annetta Cheek
Positive Reinforcement: Training Dogs In The Real World by Brenda Aloff
Purely Postive Training: Companion To Competition by Sheila Booth
Schutzhund Obedience Training In Drive by Sheila Booth with Gottfried Dildei
Schutzhund Theory and Training Methods by Susan Barwig and Stewart Hilliard
Tracking From The Beginning by Gary Patterson:
Training the Competitive Working Dog by Tom Rose and Gary Patterson

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The Complete Doberman
by Milo G. Denlinger

It is First Edition, 1953. This hardcover book has beautiful images of stamps from around the world with dogs on them inside the front and back cover. The pages with photos contain black and white pictures from some of dogs that made the breed what it is today.
I have a 1972 revised hard cover edition of this book in my library and it states "Written by Noted Breed Authorities" with Milo G. Denlinger listed first and the acknowledgement is written by him. My cover does not have the stamps. It has Champion Rancho Dobe's Storm on the front and Beltara's Blackbeard with duck friend on the back. There are 6 for sale on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Doberman-Pinscher-milo-denlinger/dp/B000PKIV7O

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it and wanted to throw in my two cents :)

2 of my favorite books on dogs are written by the Monks of New Skete who raise and breed german shepards. Both books approach the dog as a whole, from the psychology to practical knowledge. Great for really understanding the dog and how they develop mentally and how our interactions with them affect how they view themselves and us as owners. Great books!

The Art of Raising a Puppy- Great for breeders and puppy owners. Talks in depth about puppy aptitude, developmental stages (ie: fear and avoidance period, etc) as well as great tips for puppy ownership.

How to be your Dog's Best Friend- This book does cover puppyhood, but is primarily focused on dog ownership throughout the dog's life. Mostly about how to prevent problem behavior, but does cover a bit of already established behavioral problems.

My family has always had german shorthaired pointer (bird dogs are not the easiest to obedience train, VERY distractable and independent). The techniques in the books have proved extremely effective.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it and wanted to throw in my two cents :)

2 of my favorite books on dogs are written by the Monks of New Skete who raise and breed german shepards. Both books approach the dog as a whole, from the psychology to practical knowledge. Great for really understanding the dog and how they develop mentally and how our interactions with them affect how they view themselves and us as owners. Great books!

The Art of Raising a Puppy- Great for breeders and puppy owners. Talks in depth about puppy aptitude, developmental stages (ie: fear and avoidance period, etc) as well as great tips for puppy ownership.

How to be your Dog's Best Friend- This book does cover puppyhood, but is primarily focused on dog ownership throughout the dog's life. Mostly about how to prevent problem behavior, but does cover a bit of already established behavioral problems.

My family has always had german shorthaired pointer (bird dogs are not the easiest to obedience train, VERY distractable and independent). The techniques in the books have proved extremely effective.

Are the Monks still making money off of the dominance theory? Stay calm and use a prong collar?

·
Super Moderator
26,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If you look in the DT archives, you will find what this thread turned into--a library-like listing of books recommended in the past few years by DT members, using the tool LibraryThing. The tool allows me to list books, authors, publication information, show book covers, post DT member recommendations and comments about a particular book on its listing, and also links to each book's site on Amazon where you can look at other comments and even order the book.

There's a lot of info on this customized-for-DT listing, and it is fairly easy to use once you have browsed around it. It is nice to have comments from people whose experience with dogs you know from this forum, whose likes and dislikes about dogs, dog personalities and training methods may match yours.

Like any book list compiled by a group of people, you may find titles that intrigue you and titles from authors whose methods you don't like, but it is a great place to browse. I personally have not read many of these books, so I can't necessarily recommend any particular book and the DTalk forum as an entity does not necessarily support any particular book whose title you may find. You guys can judge for yourselves, so dive in and look around and read members comments and opinions about these books and have fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are the Monks still making money off of the dominance theory? Stay calm and use a prong collar?
I respect your statement and totally agree with your opinion of "dominance" and do not support all of their techniques, but I really love a lot of what they say and think there is a great deal of value in their techniques. I love their break down of puppy aptitude and stages of development. They also had some great tricks I never would have though of.

While they do discuss the "shake down" a technique in which the scuff around the neck is held firmly and shaken, they stress that it is only to be used for serious behavior issues such that endanger the dog or a person. This is where discernment comes in, I would personally NEVER physically dominate a dog, I think it is destructive and is the fastest way to dissolve trust.

However, I do support "dominance" methods such as looking your dog in the eye while you give them a doggy massage or having your dog earn everything from dinner to walks to praise. I particularly like the idea of tying a leashed puppy to your belt loop a couple of times a day while you go about normal household activities. It teaches them to look to you for leadership, strengthens your bond with a new pup, and makes leash training easy. I leashed trained both of my parents crazy pointers using this method. I used a flat leather collar which the book recommended. They only rec'd the prong for advanced obedience problems. With I would never use. I like changing direction I am walking instead as a means of correction. Something I got from growing up with horses.

Anyhow, I believe that with proper discernment and intelligent utilization of information any school of thought can prove to have great strengths. I have no single school of thought regarding training and prefer integration of ideas and certainly still have a lot more integrating to go :)

Have you read the books? I do not know anything about them outside of the literature so I can make no comment on or defense regarding how they behave outside the pages of a book.

·
Super Moderator
26,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A revived call for new book titles!!!

The DT library was put together several years ago, and I'm not sure all the books talked about on this thread got to the listing at that time. In the next few days (weeks, months, years * sigh* as time allows :)) I will review the library and see if I need to add some titles. So feel free (please, after you have looked to see if your recommendation is already on the list--saves me some time) to add your book recommendations here and I will add them to the DT Library.

If you want to just add your review on a particular title, post that here and I can put that on the book's DT listing too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some books I have read recently and did not find on the list:

Excel-erated learning ; Pamela Reid, PhD
A must read about the art of learning and how to apply it to dog training. (5)

What the dog knows; Cat Warren
Specifically about cadaver dog training and work but applicable to all training, mainly scent work. A lot of interesting history on tracking and scent detection. (I could not put this book down! (5)

The possibility dogs; Susannah Charleson
About service dogs, specifically psyke service. Applicable to all dog training and how to work with the dogs individual abilities. Also about rescue. (5)

The genius of dogs; Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods
Any dog person must read this book. Why do dogs do so well with humans? A lot of history and really interesting science behind the companionship between dog and man. (5)

Decoding your dog; American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
Very good book in everything except the training section. All the info there is correct but I found it slightly confusing as they list the different methods without specifying what they are nad when to apply them. A very good basic book. (4,5)

Chaser; Hilary Hinzmann and John W. Pilley
About a BC that knows over 1000 words. I may not be interested in teaching my dog 1000 words but there are a ton of really good training advice as well as the importance of a good reward system. Really worth the read. Slightly to conversational for my taste. (4,5)

Soldier Dogs; Maria Goodavage
About dogs in war, what they have brought to the table and the relationship they have created in warzones. A little to conversational for me but not a bad read. (4)

I will add more as I remember / read.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts