Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011-11-14_20-53-08_465.jpg

2011-11-14_20-53-23_426.jpg So,

We have a new addition to the family. Her name is ------- she does not have a name yet the previous people that we got her from called her tiny (yuck) She was a rescue she was infested with fleas and is malnutritioned and her nails are very long.... She is a 9 month old minature Dachshund she is so far a great and beautiful dog. But here is my thought/ fear how will this little one be and interact with our 2 less than a year dobies both females too. So what do you al think about a new name for her? A quick fun little poll.

Thank you,
J.c. and Latasha

·
Registered
452 Posts
2 young and playful doberman puppies would not be an ideal match for a small dog, it is up to you to protect the small dog and teach the bigger dogs to respect her. It takes time and lots of effort but can be done. I have 2 yorkies and my doberman is 1 year old and she knows to be careful around them.
You have 2 big puppies so it might be a little more complicated.

Good luck, she is a cutie.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Actually I have seen alot of big/small combinations when it comes to dobies, most of them are dobe/chi combos but it could work with a doxie. She is a cutie, oh, that hit a bell .. Dolly? I dont know it just popped into my head lol.

You will have better luck with the females than if you had males, you will still have to watch them for the first little while, but I think that you might be ok, is she spayed yet? I am no expert at all but I think with a little patience and some supervision you could have a good coexistance. It might get a little tiring with them all so young, hopefully all are housebroken. Dobies do like to play rough so maybe not letting all 3 play at the same time unless you can keep it to a minimum of rough housing with the doxie so they dont bowl her over.

Im sure some of the more experienced will give some advice too.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I just sent a 6 month old dobe off to a home with 2 older dachshunds, and they are getting along great! as well, I sent a pup at 10 weeks to live with a mini black and tan (they look hilarious together) and that has worked well too. A friend recently bought a mini long hair, black and tan, I show him so he comes to my house to visit and loves my dobes and there are 5 there for Woodstock to contend with.
I think you will be fine!

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Big & little dogs can get along extremely fine...ONLY, if you initially supervise their interaction (very well...110%) and you have no problem training the bigger dog(s), against rough housing...the little ones.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree, little dogs and dobies can be the best of friends. Supervision is required and perhaps letting one doberman play with the new puppy at a time for safety.

PS my little yorkie pooh roughs the big dpog up, not the other way around. Diesel is so gentle it's amazing. Max was the same way and he was 8 when we brought 3 lb Lucy home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update. Well the little ones name is Peanut (son named her).

So I think my girlfriend is having a hard time adjusting to the way they play with her. At first it was Precious and Luna (Dobies) that were really rough, and still do to a sense, but thats the way they play. Now I have gotten comfortable with it and use the analogy that "If she isn't yelping it isn't harming her" sound right?

From the gate I could tell poor little peanut was very abused. When I let her out of her crate I have to walk completely out of the room. I go to pick her up and she hunkers down. She was so infested with fleas it was disgusting (dawn, olive oil, and baby powder and a 2 hour window of work) all gone. The idiot that I got her from did not want her because she was lazy and did not like long hikes in the woods (this lady looked like she belonged in the woods). She had another dog that was a large breed mix and she would feed them both, but what happened was the large breed dog ate all the food and she would not get peanut anymore, it showed cause you could see here spine! EEEEERRRRR. Oh! When we picked her up she rode home curled up in a ball in my girl friends lap. It has been 5 days since she has been here and she is a doll! We can see and tell a difference already how much happier she is here. 5 days later and we can no longer see her spine and boy she has such an attitude (good one)! :)

So the quick update was a little winded lol.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Three ladies in the house sounds like a handful! :) But Im sure you can make it work with alot of training and careful watchful eyes. Im sure you wouldnt anyway, but I would never leave them alone together and, if you havnt already, I would start up OB training with your two dobes.

My partner is always worried about how Rupert plays with our collie mix Tobey, as he is your typical Dobe with his rough play! I think its important that everyone has their own place to go when they've had enough and dont want to be pestered any more, and that you intervene when one dog has clearly had enough. Good luck! :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I have a dobe and a min-pin, BFF's for 6 years now. I never, ever allow rough play. Some people do, but I don't. My min-pin is 12lbs, dobe is 89lbs. Very easy for the min-pin to get seriously hurt. They play and chase each other but nothing rough :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh! I hear ya. I would never leave these three alone.. The reason why I have three females is that they tend to be much more protective of their family. Come to think of it, I do not know how I have gotten so lucky (knock on wood) but these girls actually look up to each other and take very good care of themselves and us. There are no testosterone battles or who is king of the castle. For the OB classes they will be happening real soon. They do great for their age I have trained them to stay in a unfenced yard in a dog driven neighborhood and wild animals as well. They have a acre and a half to play in with a creek and they have a field day everyday for about 2 hours. I tried to let peanut play out on the deck and all she wanted to do was go play with the other girls (big mistake) she jumped off the deck (10 ft) up and took off to play. By the time she got to Luna. Well Luna accidentally stepped on her a few times. I didnt think that peanut would jump from a ledge like that (well lesson learned) then lesson 2. she cannot play outside when the Dobies are out they will trample her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts