Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I was walking with my friend and her dogs in a very remote area when Toby suddenly ran back to me, stopped me in my tracks and stood barking towards a group of trees. For a moment I couldnt see a thing, then as my friend and I looked closer we saw a man in full camouflage hiding amidst, shotgun in hand. Of course we challenged him to stand up, which he did. We had almost walked in front of him and could very well have been shot had he let fly.
Then about a week ago, the Frenchmans dogs went for us again, (he just lets them out to terrorise the area) and Toby immediately put himself between me and the attacking dogs and fended them away.
Then yesterday, my friends little dog was attacked by a hunting dog, the 2 men with it thought it was so very funny, he was screaming with terror. Unfortunately we couldnt get to him to help as there was a deep dry riverbed between us, (he had managed to cross it but my friend and I couldnt without risk of injury), so I shouted to the 2 men to control their dog, they laughed all the more. We were shouting and screaming for them to stop their dog whilst trying to scramble down a near sheer rock face into a deep dry riverbed to try and save her little dog. It was then that I let Toby off the lead and told him to help his little friend. Now I don't know if he understood what I had said, but he left my side and crossed over the riverbed and bounded for the attacking dog. Of course the 2 men stopped laughing and immediately called their dog away. Toby didnt do anything to either the dog or the men, he just went to his little friends side and stood over him in a protective stance.

I have never felt safer than I do now I am owned by a Doberman.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Toby'shuman - a dog lover couldn't ask for a nicer dobe than the one you have in your very own Toby.

Your story brought me a BIG HEART FELT SMILE - you obviously have a remarkable dog.
- brave & smart...is an awesome combination, in our 4 legged friends

You mentioned being an olive farmer...are they safe for dogs and does Toby like them ??
Visiting SPAIN would be a treat, for any of us on the other side, of the ocean.
(I enjoy your posts / and hearing about other parts of the world)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good boy Toby! I love hearing stories like this one. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Good boy Toby!!

I always feel safe with Dreizehn too. It's very rare when there's been an occasion calling for him to step between me and another person but the few times it's happened he's definitely done his job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How awful for your friend's dog.

Toby sounds awesome:)

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
How horrible. Glad you and your friend have Toby to protect you.

I love Spain, can't wait to go back to Barcelona.... Nothing like delicious xurros on a cold morning!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toby'shuman - a dog lover couldn't ask for a nicer dobe than the one you have in your very own Toby.

Your story brought me a BIG HEART FELT SMILE - you obviously have a remarkable dog.
- brave & smart...is an awesome combination, in our 4 legged friends

You mentioned being an olive farmer...are they safe for dogs and does Toby like them ??
Visiting SPAIN would be a treat, for any of us on the other side, of the ocean.
(I enjoy your posts / and hearing about other parts of the world)
Yes Olives are safe for dogs to eat, however for us humans if they havent been soaked for a year in Olive herb (actual name for the herb used) and salted water they taste foul. (The oil is ready to use the moment it has been pressed and filtered).
Toby loves eating the olives that have both fallen to the ground and off the trees, he jumps up really high sometimes to get the juiciest looking one, however, afterwards he gets terrific wind so we don't appreciate his cleaning up/picking trick. He also loves Carobs and eats them by the bucketload if given half a chance, (doggie chocolate is made from Carobs). Funny enough he gets wind with these too, so we try to limit his intake, not that we succeed, I have over 40 trees surrounding my house and some of them are inside my compound.

Spain is a wonderful country, full of surprises and breathtaking scenery, it is well worth a visit.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the hell is going on in Spain lol.

My wife agrees as well, that when she goes for late night walks she feels very safe with Porsche by her side.
It is full of macho morons who think the prowess of the dog beating the crap out of another has a direct link to how big and strong they are as men.

Soon changed their tune when they saw a Dobe bounding across the dry riverbed to the rescue mind.

I often go for walks very early in the morning, before it is light and infact late at night when we have a full moon and I honestly do not worry in the slightest, because I know Toby will rip anyones head off their shoulders poop down their neck and reattach said head without a shadow of doubt.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel sorry for your friend's dog. Injured seriously?
You must be proud of Toby, Good Boy:nicejob:
He lost a lot of fur, (thankfully he is a thick coated dog and the majority of bites were deflected by it) and was badly shaken but he was back to his happy go lucky little self the next day when we took him out again. He is very nervous however when other dogs come anywhere near. Which I guess is understandable.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
It is full of macho morons who think the prowess of the dog beating the crap out of another has a direct link to how big and strong they are as men.
We call that little man syndrome here. Obviously coming up short somewhere in their genetics that they think having a tough dog makes up for it. These are the idiots that lead to beautiful breeds such as Pit Bulls being banned in Ontairo.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We call that little man syndrome here. Obviously coming up short somewhere in their genetics that they think having a tough dog makes up for it. These are the idiots that lead to beautiful breeds such as Pit Bulls being banned in Ontairo.
And why breeds such as Dobes, Rotties and of course Pitties are considered Dangerous here. As for genetics, you just have to check out the names in our village, there are over 900 people living here and they all share the same 4 surnames. Talk about banjo playing yokels. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Banjo playing yokels is too funny. Here we call them Walmartians. (Anyone seen those jokes?)

A couple of break-ins occurred about two miles from me last evening. We live in the "country" but still have a neighborhood watch group. Our coordinator sent out notes and calls to us all because although one guy was caught two of the thieves got away. The helicopter with a search light was out and the sheriff's deputies were driving the roads looking for the two guys. People were in a buzz. I just went to bed and went to sleep. To be honest I had ADT as well as my three Doberprotectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed! Idiots. Most banned dogs are some of the most amazing. My Rottweiler growing up was beautiful, polite, sweet, and protective. Never hurt a fly that didn't deserve it. Heard that they're thinking about lifting the ban on pitbulls.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I'm so sorry your friend's dog was attacked. Makes my stomach flip just imagining his cries. I'm glad he's safe now and relatively unharmed considering the damage that could have been done.

Good boy, Toby.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts