Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Lei. Im new to the site and am also a new pet owner. Havent had a dog since i was 14. I just got a beautiful red male and was wondering about neutering. I know its recommemded to control the pet population. I have breeding rights but dont want to breed him because he has albino in his family tree. So.. should I neuter him right away or wait for him to go through his first heat/cycle/whatever male dogs go through? What happens to them as they go through puberty? I know! Dont laugh! LOL Im new at this!!

Attachments

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Handsome guy! I agree completely with not breeding him, since he has albinos in his background. No need to pass on those genes. There's different recommendations on when to neuter. Some folks wait till they're grown, 18-24 months. In the future, that's what I'd wait for if I have another male dog, or after the first heat if she's a girl.

The only dogs I've had before age 2 were the service dog pups, who were between 10-14 months when I had them. Dogs do a lot of testing boundaries as they approach adulthood, and some breeds can take a while to get there. Both my males were over 2 when I adopted them. Logan took until closer to 3 to really grow his 'adult brain' and mature. Griffin was 3 and already had gotten past the adolescent stage. Hopefully someone who's had Dobes from puppy- age 2 can weigh in.

Please post more photos! Reds rock.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Handsome boy. Do some searching on the net. Just search best time to Nuter/Spay. There are some studies out on the subject. Because of the needed hormones for bone and muscel growth and other health issues. 18-24 months seems to be a goood time.

·
Registered
974 Posts
We had no intention of breeding Odin either, as I'm not a breeder and don't wish to go down that tricky trail. Odin just turned 2 and we had him neutered 2 weeks ago as we (me & hubby) and the vet decided that was the best age. But that's just a personal opinion on the matter!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, wow, thanks everyone! This site is great. I spend a couple hours a day researching the breed but it satisfies me more hearing it come from actual owners. Thanks for the tips and ill look into it some more. And your right, i dont want to create more ill dobermans so i wont be breeding him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts