Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger had his check up and shots the other day, all is well he is growing fast 41 lbs at 4 months. Vet asked if I was going to neuter him and said he recommends neutering at 6 months of age. Does that sound early or is that about the optimum time period? His reasoning was that Ruger would not pick up the marking habits if neutered at 6 months of age.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This is one of those topics that you'll read many sides to. I would do your research and make the best decision for your situation. Some say neuter as early as 6 months, some say neuter around 18-20 months when a Doberman's body is finished maturing :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Don't know if that 6 mo is taught in Vet school or what. I know they would like to keep the population down. Do some searching and reading and then decide what is the best for your Dobe. There are some studies that early neutering/spaying can increase some diseases. Also they need the hormones for bone and muscle growth. Larger breed dogs like Dobes usually stop growing as far as bone growth (different bones in the body grow at different rates) and filling out until around 2 yrs.
After our reading we decided to wait in the space of 18-24 months.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Many vets (and rescues too, I think) tend to recommend neutering/spaying at 6 months and, to my understanding, it's generally a population control thing. My boy's breeder and many things I"ve read suggest waiting until about 18-24 months so that growth plates can be fully closed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help, I felt 6 months sounded pretty early. I will do more research on it before making a decision. Thank you

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I agree with the 18-24 month timing thing, since joining DT...just makes good sense.

Now for a FM...I would personally have the surgury 3 months after the heat cycle finished & way before the next one is due...to start again.
- (for best hormone balance)...if girl dober, is on a 6 month PMS frequency

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner was neutered at 6 months and recovered very quickly. He's had absolutely no issues from it and is a big muscular happy boy :) I neutered my sheltie when he was older and he had a MUCH longer recovery time.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I had Pullo neutered at 3 yrs of age and he came out of the vets like he had not even had surgery. It never bothered him in any way.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
18 to 24 months I feel is the best age. I have seen a lot of Dobes fixed to young and look very tall and not much body to them.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try entering "male dog neutering" into your search engine or google. There is some question about neutering at all. Having a complete or whole dog is a big responsibility however. You dont want to be responsible for any litters in this day and time with the huge pet overpopulation explosion and numbers of innocent lives destroyed daily because no home is found. If you cant guarantee no littes, neutering is best. A neutered dog is a little easier to live with, imo. Personally, I dont believe neutering should be done before 18 months, but you have to make your decision based on whats best for you and your boy. Best wishes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts