Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a family pet, is neutering a Dobe advisable? My breeder says I may want to reconsider neutering my young puppy ...any advice? I don't expect to be studding him out. Thanks, Joe.

·
Banned
675 Posts
For a family pet, I don't think "looking masculine" is all that important. Adolescence is the time when the male dog will most test the humans it lives with. Frankly if he's just a family pet and there's any chance at all of him maybe accidentally siring a litter, I'd say neuter him before it can come to that. Most families who just want a family pet don't want to deal with all th at comes with an adolescent Doberman.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you are not going to breed.....NEUTER....NEUTER...NEUTER.

Our boy Titus was neutered at 7 1/2 months old.

·
Registered
321 Posts
We neutered our male at 7 1/2 months. Best decision I've made. He might not fill out as much as if we had waited, but I couldn't get him to stop marking one our walls and our refrigerator. He hasn't done it since I brought him home from the vet. Most people think he is a bit on the over active side, but those of us that live with him know that he has calmed down quite a bit since the neuter.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Even if your pup "comes from champion lines" and you don't plan on "studding" him out, even if you change your mind in the future, no reputable breeder will want to use him for stud unless you plan on health testing and certifying him along with having accomplished titles for himself. Why run the risk of all of the other problems associated with not neutering him? Why is your breeder advising you of this? I would think that if he is sold as pet quality, he is just that. Thus, no need for testicles. I wouldn't neuter a young pup......at a year old (give or take) is probably acceptable.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I lean to the 18 months too. The two males I had did well at that age, filled out well. Whatever you feel comfortable with as long as he doesn't start giving you problems.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also want to wait til 18 mos but dont want my beagle getting knocked up in the process...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I had a deal with my male Riggs. If he didn't mark in the house we would wait. He lifted his leg on my chair and I called the vet as soon as I cleaned it up! He was 9 months.

He may be a little tall, 30 inches at the shoulder, and a little leaner than he would have been if we waited till he matured, but that was not that important to me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Orson is one year now and not neutered yet.........and he has never marked anything in the house EVER. Maybe we are lucky, I don't know.......but I have noticed when his mastiff friend (female) comes over to play the first thing he does is go mark around the yard.......yeeeeesh, boys :)

EDIT: He did pee on my husbands side of the bed once, but that was before he was old enough to be "hormonal" hahahahahah

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 6 year old German Shepherd/ Brittany Spaniel mix Lucky was neutered at the SPCA at about 6 months. I noticed that even now, he behaves more "puppyish" than your average adult dog. He has zero territorial instinct and never marks anything. He is also pretty lanky and his chest has not "filled out" too well. I don't know if these observations about Lucky have anything to do with neutering to early, or maybe its genetics. Who knows?

I don't want the same thing to happen to my 10 week old Rocky. As a precaution, I will wait until he is fully grown before getting him neutered. Good luck in making the right choice:biggthump

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
any regrets with neutering, outside of the obvious?
No regrets at all. What obvious regrets are you referring to?

You can check out the thread about neutering Sherman to see pics of Titus. He is developed rather nicely.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My 6 year old German Shepherd/ Brittany Spaniel mix Lucky was neutered at the SPCA at about 6 months. I noticed that even now, he behaves more "puppyish" than your average adult dog. He has zero territorial instinct and never marks anything. He is also pretty lanky and his chest has not "filled out" too well. I don't know if these observations about Lucky have anything to do with neutering to early, or maybe its genetics. Who knows?

I don't want the same thing to happen to my 10 week old Rocky. As a precaution, I will wait until he is fully grown before getting him neutered. Good luck in making the right choice:biggthump
I also think that it depends on the dog. Titus has not been puppyish for quite some time. He has had a territoral instinct from an early age. I am starting to think that my boy is not the norm as I see a lot of people post to wait to neuter. Titus does not exhibit the normal things that I have seen that will occur with an early neuter.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Buddy was neutered at about 6 months old due to the fact he was trying to hump my spayed Minnie Doxie. Did not want her accidentally hurt by him,did not want any Doxie back problems starting up.
Have had 2 male Bouvier Des Flander dogs both fixed early both filled out just fine also muscular??? Different from male Dobes???
Patches Mom

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
if you neuter a male..will it take away from him being protective?
Dobermans are inherintely protective, it's just a trait of the breed. Some people will even say their females are more protective than their males. It really just depends on the individual dog, not the hormone levels.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts