Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old Dobe named Kino. He is 25+ Lbs and I have been contemplating rather I should neuter him at the appropriate age or not. I do not want to breed him but would like him to reach full size and physical abilities and also not become lazy or overweight. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
There is a lot of dispute about the appropriate age to neuter a dog. Do some searching on the site. I did not neuter my male until he was almost three.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The idea that neutering will make him "lazy and fat" is an urban legend. I have had two males. Roman passed away at 11 a svelte 85 pounds of muscle. He loved to hike, swim and run. Cancer caught him, but nothing else could. The only thing slowing him down was the other end of the leash. Leo is 4. He's still all energy and there isn't an intact dog I personally know that has anything on his energy level or stamina.

Owners make dogs fat and lazy, then blame the surgery cuz they won't acknowledge they don't do anything with their dogs.

What age to do so, or wether or not to, is a personal choice. But please don't think that an altered male will automatically become an obese couch potato. It is simply silly.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What do you consider the appropriate age for neutering?

My general opinion is that if you feel comfortable and confidant in your ability to handle an intact dog then I'd wait a bit on neutering.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I don't buy the, reaching full size stuff, my first male dobe was neutered at 6 months and hit 90lbs. So my question is, how much bigger would he have been, had I not got him neutered. I don't need no, high sex drive dobie going bonkers cuz their is a female a mile away.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My general opinion is that if you feel comfortable and confidant in your ability to handle an intact dog then I'd wait a bit on neutering.
^Agreed.

From all the research that I have personally done, I would suggest waiting until around 18 months. But everyone's situation is different. Let's say an intact bitch lives next door who is good at escaping her yard, then maybe you'd want to neuter sooner. ;)

Do some research on this forum, and figure out what you are most comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
12 - 24 months is best for the dog. I agree that neutering doesn't make them fat, feeding them too much and lack of exercise are the causes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts