Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! as per my last post I was able to fix the fencing situation for my future puppy. I was able to find a really good caring breeder and Ive put down a deposit for the puppy! She's a black/rust female and she's about a week old so I have to wait some time before I get her. I am nervous though since this is my first dog ever, the breeder contacted my references and approved of my application and thinks Im ready but I keep doubting myself. Ive done so much research (and still am, there's always something new to learn) on this breed and how to train them. I think I have what it takes but I am so scared that ill be a failure and it'll be too much. I wonder if this is what a new parent feels like with their baby lol. I guess I'm just looking for ways to validate that my fears aren't true. :(

· Registered
721 Posts
I feel like a lot of people get the exact same feeling when they get their first dog. I know I did. Just take a breather and relax. It sounds like you are doing all the right things so don't stress too much. The people here on this site are super helpful so you have a plethora of knowledge just being on DT.

So, again, take a deep breath and you'll do fine.

· Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Good morning ella ! We have had Dobers for a long time here in Indiana - And we may being adding a little girl in July , You know what ?? Every since I got the word - I have had butterflies dang near every day ! :grin2::grin2: You would think that after all these years it would be easier - Well not for me - lol

To me - one of the biggest thing is to do a very good job of Puppy proofing your house - Trust me here - them little devils will find anything and everything to get into ! Before a new one arrives here - I look at everything and ask - what am I missing ?? And I will see something and ask . maybe I should move that or put it away .

If your breeder is close , give her a call and see if you can go to her place and just hag out - Observe what and how she does some stuff .

I'm not going to sugar coat anything here , But those little bundles of joy will test you , they are so , so smart , Mr. Business was my biggest problem child we have ever had ,yet staying with it , working with him , puppy classes , and lots of love , He has turned into one of the best Dobermans we have ever had .

After reading your above tread starter , I agree with your breeder - Yep , your up to this ! :grin2:

· Ace's Human
498 Posts
No reason to worry twice.

I found myself very, very anxious prior to getting my pup. A lot of doubt and overthinking. When the time actually came, none of it mattered. Get the things to prepare for the puppy, then any time you find yourself worrying about it. Stop. Find something to keep yourself busy, find a quick distraction. Whatever you think will happen, probably wont go as planned either way.

I had planned to cuddle my pup the whole 5 hour ride home when we picked up my boy. I pictured this sweet little quiet cuddly puppy. Boy, I was wrong. He whined, and whined, and whined. Until he slept the rest of the way. And he wanted nothing to do with my lap, he wanted the back seat.
Then the next day, weeks, months.... every worry I had prior was long forgotten, and replaced with new worries and concerns. So don't let yourself worry twice, just know you will be fine and you'll figure it out as you go.

· Registered
27 Posts
Yep it's scary knowing this is a full time life long commitment that's about to begin but as others have said, it's absolutely worth it.

My only suggestion would be to start doing your research now to find a good trainer who offers group puppy classes. I'm sure you will find as I did that these classes are an absolute must take, I found that puppy classes were even more important for me the owner then for my dog. I learned the do's and don't's and the what to expects which really eased my mind and gave me some confidence.

Good luck

· Registered
4,565 Posts
This probably isn't going to help but I would have some concern that a breeder has a puppy picked out for you at 1 week old. The temperaments really aren't showing too too much at that age. Even when they do the temperaments can change a bit between 6-8 weeks. I'm not saying that the breeder doesn't care about their puppies but they might not be knowledgeable enough to send puppies to the proper homes. I can't imagine thinking I would know what puppy is going to what house at that age. This would give me concern.

· joie de vivre
11,456 Posts
This probably isn't going to help but I would have some concern that a breeder has a puppy picked out for you at 1 week old. The temperaments really aren't showing too too much at that age. Even when they do the temperaments can change a bit between 6-8 weeks. I'm not saying that the breeder doesn't care about their puppies but they might not be knowledgeable enough to send puppies to the proper homes. I can't imagine thinking I would know what puppy is going to what house at that age. This would give me concern.
I didn't interpret her wording to mean she knows which puppy is hers. Maybe the OP can clarify for us?

Both times I've bought a Dobe pup, I knew around the time of whelping that one of the girls in the litter would be mine.

In Fiona's litter, I didn't know which girl would be mine but the entire litter was red and there were 5 or 6 girls, I think. So I knew I was getting a red girl when they were like, 3 days old because that's when I placed my deposit.

And in Cypress' case, I had been in touch with the breeder far enough in advance that I was first on her list of performance homes for bitches. With 4 bitches in an all black litter, again, I knew I was getting a black bitch the day they were born.

· Super Moderator
23,786 Posts
Nerves are normal...the biggest question I have is if you feel confident that you've chosen a good, ethical breeder? Have you taken your time and done the research on how to pick a good one? Not rushed into it? If you've done that, then you know you'll have someone on your side that can help you and support you. Someone you can call at 3 in the morning when your puppy is sick in the ER (not saying that WILL happen, but it can...they eat something weird...whatever it is). That's the most important thing you can do to do it right. Just my opinion.

Oh, and I highly, highly recommend on planning to get insurance! :)

· Registered
11 Posts
Yes, it is A LOT of work. But working with her and rewarding and reinforcing her good behavior continuously will pay off. Don't be afraid to use a crate... If you cannot keep an eye on the dog for a period of time, put her in the crate. Don't allow her to get herself into trouble because it will only discourage both of you! You'll both do great... They are truly the most wonderful dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.